Login

Linking Of Stories

last reply
10 replies
4 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

A lot of my stories are follow-on and sometimes they become a series. Occasionally I will use Part 2, Part 3 etc in a title but sometimes a series of stories of mine might have a variation of titles. That was fine in the past when a reader would be able to see a link to a previous or following story, not now though. I know it works if you have a series title but only one of my sets of stories has a series title. Do I need to now add a series title to each story in my many series OR is the series link coming back please?

At the moment a reader might alight on an old story of mine and not know that there may well be other stories in the series.

Just as an afterthought, even if I go in and give each series a series name, what tells a reader the order to read them in please, date of publication?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PJH

A lot of my stories are follow-on and sometimes they become a series. Occasionally I will use Part 2, Part 3 etc in a title but sometimes a series of stories of mine might have a variation of titles. That was fine in the past when a reader would be able to see a link to a previous or following story, not now though. I know it works if you have a series title but only one of my sets of stories has a series title. Do I need to now add a series title to each story in my many series OR is the series link coming back please?

At the moment a reader might alight on an old story of mine and not know that there may well be other stories in the series.

Just as an afterthought, even if I go in and give each series a series name, what tells a reader the order to read them in please, date of publication?

The weird thing I've noticed is that the three stories that existed before the changeover are still linked. The story posted after the changeover (it was in drafts mode at that time) is not linked to them. Yet they all have the same series title. Also, published stories don't seem to have a "link" option/checkbox available, which I think they did have before September 6.
Charming as fuck
0 likes

Stories which are series linked are numbered in the drop down list and also have the 'read next', 'read previous' buttons at the bottom.

There currently is no way to link one story to another if they're not in a series the way you could on v1. I've brought this to their attention and it's on the to do list.

Thanks

Edit: you could always just copy and paste the link to one of your other stories at the bottom of your current story for now

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Jen

Stories which are series linked are numbered in the drop down list and also have the 'read next', 'read previous' buttons at the bottom.

There currently is no way to link one story to another if they're not in a series the way you could on v1. I've brought this to their attention and it's on the to do list.

Thanks

Edit: you could always just copy and paste the link to one of your other stories at the bottom of your current story for now

Thank you, Jen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I hope the Lush team can/will fix it.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Looking at the one series that I actually gave a series name to it seems that readers are being told to read the series in the wrong order. On the assumption that 1 is supposed to be the first one in a series and 6 the last one in a six part series, the order shown is completely wrong.

On that basis, I see no point in giving a series name to other existing series that I have.

I will just hope that one day the original links which clearly indicated a previous and next story in a series, actually return.

Charming as fuck
0 likes

There is a bug in the series link which should be fixed in a rollout today thanks.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PJH

Looking at the one series that I actually gave a series name to it seems that readers are being told to read the series in the wrong order. On the assumption that 1 is supposed to be the first one in a series and 6 the last one in a six part series, the order shown is completely wrong.

On that basis, I see no point in giving a series name to other existing series that I have.

I will just hope that one day the original links which clearly indicated a previous and next story in a series, actually return.

*Just a little thank you to Dan in Admin for very promptly getting the order of my stories referred to above sorted out*
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

How do you make stories that used to be linked together into a series? I miss the "read next" links.

Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Charlotte_

How do you make stories that used to be linked together into a series? I miss the "read next" links.

At the moment I am getting into the habit of making mine 'Part 2' 'Part 3' etc. I miss the read next links too, I think they were very helpful and very necessary.

Writius Eroticus
0 likes

Quote by Charlotte_

1. Visit a story you want to link.

2 Edit it.

3. Scroll down and type the name of the series in the Series box. If it already exists, it'll match as you type.

4. Select it if it exists, or click Create {series name} if it doesn't This step is important or it won't be assigned properly. You can tell when it's done because it appears beneath the Series box on its own, like tags do.

5. Submit your story. Note that at present this results in the chance it'll get diverted to the moderation queue (I think it depends if there are blank lines after the story or it does some "tidying" of spacing on submission, which makes it think the story is "different" than before - not sure). If you just add a brief mod note 'Adding series name' or something, then we'll know that's all you've done and can approve it quickly. Note also that if that happens, the published date that's shown changes to 'now' even though the story remains in the original order in your stories page. I think that's an opportunity for improvement and I'll mention it to the developers.

Once your stories are linked you can visit the series page to reorder each set.

Hope that helps

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 109 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 72 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.