Second time around

last reply
19 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So you can rewind your life back to when you were 16. Would you change anything? Please be honest, we're all anonymous!
Lurker
0 likes
I found this question especially interesting, since I was recently contacted by my old boyfriend, from when I was 16. Gave me a bit of a view of the life I might have had if I'd made some different choices back then. I would imagine we would all think we'd do something different if we could go back, but not so sure it would be an improvement.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm not anonymous!!!!!

But if I could rewind the hands of time I would have taken more risks in life, in general, and especially with women. I don't know that I would have married so young and I would have invested heavily in Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.....

Lurker
0 likes
If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have been more adventurous than I was. Would've beaten the shit out of two people that molested me. That's about it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had this discussion with my best friend a lot. We changed a lot and both think it would be great going back. The scenario was a bit different though we thought about going back in time about 5 years but we stay as we are now. I would definately try to not be so shy and do a lot more with women since I started dating too late IMO so I missed out on a lot
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marinepilot
I'm not anonymous!!!!!

But if I could rewind the hands of time I would have taken more risks in life, in general, and especially with women. I don't know that I would have married so young and I would have invested heavily in Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.....

I'm with you on the shares. If we only knew then what we knw now.
0 likes
Actually try to have a love life and make myself more appealing to girls. Take some positive steps to deal with the bullying that was largely what kept me from dating/having girlfriends. Likely take a different route through university into a different career path than I ended up on. Of course, any or all of those would likely have resulted in my not meeting the one I ended up marrying so those changes would have big repercussions right down the timeline.
Lurker
0 likes
I have no regrets. I don't believe in them. I believe I am who I am because of my experiences, I let go of it a long time ago. I believe we think things would be different but how do you know it wouldn't be a disaster? Nope. Fine with what I have, who I am and what I have lived. To me it is an exercise in futility to over think our pasts because you cannot change it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
I have no regrets. I don't believe in them. I believe I am who I am because of my experiences, I let go of it a long time ago. I believe we think things would be different but how do you know it wouldn't be a disaster? Nope. Fine with what I have, who I am and what I have lived. To me it is an exercise in futility to over think our pasts because you cannot change it.

You're lucky if you have no regrets, I'll admit that I've got lots. Also if I could change things it may have lead to a disaster but I'd be willing to take that chance.
You must think over your past, I thought that's what we all do, so we can understand where we went wrong and recognise when we were right.
I know the what ifs are futile but sometimes they're therapeutic.
Lurker
0 likes
I never dwell too much on what could have been if... However, in hindsight if I could go back to 16 I would have done whatever it would have taken to become an accomplished artisan jeweller
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

You're lucky if you have no regrets, I'll admit that I've got lots. Also if I could change things it may have lead to a disaster but I'd be willing to take that chance.
You must think over your past, I thought that's what we all do, so we can understand where we went wrong and recognise when we were right.
I know the what ifs are futile but sometimes they're therapeutic.

I don't see the point. Think it over and then move on. Its done. I like the present and looking forward to the future.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC

I don't see the point. Think it over and then move on. Its done. I like the present and looking forward to the future.

Do you think the present affects our answers? As you say, you like the present, in fact you're mindblowingly happy, but if you weren't would your answer be the same, is that your philosophy in life?
If it is it's a good one to have, you're a glass half full gal.
Lurker
0 likes
yes, i will ... would have walked towards my dream ;)
Head Nurse
0 likes
I've made plenty of mistakes with my life since I was 16, however, they have all lead to me being in the position I am now. So while I regret some of my actions, I wouldn't actually change anything.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't believe in regrets. Whatever it was that you did you obviously thought it was right at that particular time so why regret it. We have to take responsibility for our own actions and if it felt good at the time, there really is no point in regretting it later on.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I may have been more involved in social groups, joined a club or two in high school and university. Overall though I think I would have done things much the same, I quite enjoy my life currently and wouldn't want to run the risk of changing it too much.
Lurker
0 likes
Absolutely, I would make many changes. One, is to have the courage then to accept who I am.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mickitv
Absolutely, I would make many changes. One, is to have the courage then to accept who I am.

We are never trully happy until we accept who we are... no matter who we are.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mickitv

The problem is also the era, we are about the same age, was is it a difficult time over there for anybody that was different like it was over here?
I can't even imagine what my life would be like if I'd accepted myself and been open about it in the early 70's
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Oh yes -- I would have done many many things differently, I Think. One for certain I would have explored my sexuality a lot more. While I had many relationships with women, I would have explored them more -- and definitely had more experiences with men -- I wanted to be more adventurous with several guys but was uncertain of how to proceed. In those times it was less acceptable and there was a greater social stigma in being bi. As a result those experiences were more clandestine and thusa lot less satsifying I think. Only had two g/fs that were open about it and me with them. Those times were both very sexually satsifying since it was both in the open and were frequently shared.