Does a GAYDAR actually exist?

last reply
46 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
1 like
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Does a GAYDAR actually exist? Can you sniff out gay men or women? The following picture is quite funny, but do we have a sixth sense to tell who is gay and who is straight?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well the website sure does, I had many a good meet from it. Lol.
I think that some guys do have gaydar but it's never 100% accurate. I reckon that I could spot a gay guy in a crowd but it may be that I'm very observant. The eyes are usually the give away, the glance may be a split second too long or the way the eyes sweep over the body. Also I notice little signs that a gay guy gives sometimes subconsciously.
However, my gaydar would either go into meltdown or become redundant if I lived in Gaytown USA like you do. Street to street gay heaven aaahhh!
Lurker
0 likes
Yes it does. Not always accurate but it does. That ad cracks me up.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Yes, it's usually fairly accurate.

And like nicki, the ad cracked me up smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
Yes it does. Not always accurate but it does. That ad cracks me up.

Yes the fact that it's not always accurate adds to the excitement.
When you get it wrong it can be a bonus or an embarrassing disaster. Lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
That ad cracks me up.
Quote by naughtynurse
And like nicki, the ad cracked me up smile

That is actually not an ad, but an actual product (jokingly of course) sold at a novelty shop in how Derek calls it Gaytown, USA. I saw it and had to take a picture of it.... way too funny! Especially the part that says "Gosh, I wish I'd known about Gaydar before I married Lance!" LMAO!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

That is actually not an ad, but an actual product (jokingly of course) sold at a novelty shop in how Derek calls it Gaytown, USA. I saw it and had to take a picture of it.... way too funny! Especially the part that says "Gosh, I wish I'd known about Gaydar before I married Lance!" LMAO!

I am trying to recover. LOL Yes I am screaming with laughter. Tony you must be fun. Him. Her. Nope. Him. Oh so him.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It would seem so,but I think it's really just body language. For the most part people accept me as strait but I have had a couple of guy's ask me if I'm Gay not feeling obligated to explain I'M Bi A usually reply, No- Why do I look happy to you? The fact is I'M not into Guy's only T-Girls. If A good looking T-Girl asked me that question I would reply I am for you hon & wink.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NightMan
It would seem so,but I think it's really just body language. For the most part people accept me as strait but I have had a couple of guy's ask me if I'm Gay not feeling obligated to explain I'M Bi A usually reply, No- Why do I look happy to you? The fact is I'M not into Guy's only T-Girls. If A good looking T-Girl asked me that question I would reply I am for you hon & wink.

Well, that makes you Pansexual not Bisexual... but that is still a label, and I am not fond of labels sad
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

How's your gaydar, has it atrophied in Gaytown or do you develop str8dar instead?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

How's your gaydar, has it atrophied in Gaytown or do you develop str8dar instead?

Unless the guy is really obviously gay I have no gaydar sense... I like masculine manly men, so even if my gaydar was working well, most likely it would not work to find my perfect match anyway sad(
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

Unless the guy is really obviously gay I have no gaydar sense... I like masculine manly men, so even if my gaydar was working well, most likely it would not work to find my perfect match anyway sad(

You like the same as me, differnt role, mine was so fine tuned I had no problem. I think the eyes give them away if you get a look at them.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I guess everybody has some sort of gaydar, even straight people like me. Speaking of which, do the 'gay stereotypes' offend you, gay men? Voice, gait, clothes, etc? Honestly, some of them have been quite accurate for me personally to figure out if a man was gay. Sometimes it's not as obvious though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I guess everybody has some sort of gaydar, even straight people like me. Speaking of which, do the 'gay stereotypes' offend you, gay men? Voice, gait, clothes, etc? Honestly, some of them have been quite accurate for me personally to figure out if a man was gay. Sometimes it's not as obvious though.

You've no idea how much it annoys me. Go and ask an intelligent blonde what she thinks of the blonde bimbo stereotype then multiply it by 10 then you'll be close. There are gay guys that you'd have no idea that they were gay. We're the same as heterosexuals we come in all shapes and sizes, the diversity doesn't change just because we sleep with the same sex.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

You've no idea how much it annoys me. Go and ask an intelligent blonde what she thinks of the blonde bimbo stereotype then multiply it by 10 then you'll be close. There are gay guys that you'd have no idea that they were gay. We're the same as heterosexuals we come in all shapes and sizes, the diversity doesn't change just because we sleep with the same sex.

So annoyed I posted it twice to make sure it sank in.8tMK8bHNaZhvjmaR
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

huh? *giggles, twirls my hair around my finger, blows a bubble* what's a stereotype? can you play cds on it?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
btw, i can tell when a guys not a girl and vice versa. same thing, right?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
btw, i can tell when a guys not a girl and vice versa. same thing, right?

Does it annoy you that that the world thinks all lesbians have tatooes, a buzz cuts and wear jeans, cheque shirts and leather jackets.
It's all such a cliche.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Does it annoy you that that the world thinks all lesbians have tatooes, a buzz cuts and wear jeans, cheque shirts and leather jackets.
It's all such a cliche.

actually, no, seeing as how i have a tattoo, a buzz cut, i wear jeans, cheque shirts, and a leather jacket. oh, and combat boots. don't forget the combat boots and the chain on the wallet. now, if you'll excuse me, i need to go work on my harley smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

huh? *giggles, twirls my hair around my finger, blows a bubble* what's a stereotype? can you play cds on it?

Young lady, you crack me up... if you weren't a happily married lesbian, and I weren't gay, I would ask you out... LMAO!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

actually, no, seeing as how i have a tattoo, a buzz cut, i wear jeans, cheque shirts, and a leather jacket. oh, and combat boots. don't forget the combat boots and the chain on the wallet. now, if you'll excuse me, i need to go work on my harley smile

ROTFLMGAO!!!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Thing is, the gay stereotypes are not aimed at devaluing homosexuals in any way. I could see why the overt ones that are displayed in movies/television can be somehow offensive though. But I can honestly say that some physical features/expressions allowed me to find out that a man was gay, and I was in fact correct.

Does it bother you if someone gives significance to those traits? Sorry if it does...
The Linebacker
0 likes
For a year I was the only straight guy in my small apartment building. Duh? I wondered where the chicks were when I signed the lease. ha But anyhow, there are lots of guys I would never guess were gay.

I enjoyed living in the building. All the tenants looked out for each other. I even was once the only straight guy at Super Bowl party. Most of the guys there had an awesome sense of humor. I moved out to move in with my girlfriend/soon-to-be-fiance/now wife. Several of those guys attended my wedding. I made several good friends from that bunch.

A guy I played high school football with, announced that he was gay recently. He had a girlfriend in HS. I never had a clue that he was gay and we were pretty good friends in HS and still are.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Thing is, the gay stereotypes are not aimed at devaluing homosexuals in any way. I could see why the overt ones that are displayed in movies/television can be somehow offensive though. But I can honestly say that some physical features/expressions allowed me to find out that a man was gay, and I was in fact correct.

Does it bother you if someone gives significance to those traits? Sorry if it does...

There's no physical feature that I've heard of, mmm, that would make it easier for us to spot each other. Lol. I don't even think there are mannerisms that we all have.
If a guy is effeminate one assumes that they are gay, I know I do but on odd occasions even I get it wrong and I've got really good "gaydar". What annoys me is the media portrayal of gay men and lesbians, it's so one dimensional. You have no idea how refreshing it was when Brokeback Mountain came out and was a hit in mainstream cinema. We aren't all wanna be cheerleaders, some of us want to be the quarterback.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
For a year I was the only straight guy in my small apartment building. Duh? I wondered where the chicks were when I signed the lease. ha But anyhow, there are lots of guys I would never guess were gay.

I enjoyed living in the building. All the tenants looked out for each other. I even was once the only straight guy at Super Bowl party. Most of the guys there had an awesome sense of humor. I moved out to move in with my girlfriend/soon-to-be-fiance/now wife. Several of those guys attended my wedding. I made several good friends from that bunch.

A guy I played high school football with, announced that he was gay recently. He had a girlfriend in HS. I never had a clue that he was gay and we were pretty good friends in HS and still are.

Ha ha,
Before I read your post I thought "that.s unusual Buz posting here" but I'm glad you did, you prove my point. Tell me did you have preconceived ideas of gay guys based on media stereotypes?
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
I think a gaydar exists. I can kind of tell before being told outright if a guy is gay or not...even if all outward appearances don't make it obvious.

Sometimes I can even tell when a guy is closeted gay or bicurious, even if he himself hasn't realized it...or is in denial of it. Of course I keep this stuff to myself, but it's not hard to pick up on.'

As far as females go, I'm better at figuring out if they're gay or not online than I am in person.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
I shall add but two words: "Fuck yeah!"
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Ha ha,
Before I read your post I thought "that.s unusual Buz posting here" but I'm glad you did, you prove my point. Tell me did you have preconceived ideas of gay guys based on media stereotypes?

I sure did to a degree. I thought I was open minded/accepting and all, but still had naive and preconceived ideas before I lived in that apartment building. No doubt media stereotypes were a huge part. The media stereotypes so much, so many people in so many really ignorant ways. When you really get to know people that are different from yourself and those you've always socialized with, like them and become good friends, it changes your view and your world outlook.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I was just having this conversation with someone and we both agree that it does.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012
I think a gaydar exists. I can kind of tell before being told outright if a guy is gay or not...even if all outward appearances don't make it obvious.

Sometimes I can even tell when a guy is closeted gay or bicurious, even if he himself hasn't realized it...or is in denial of it. Of course I keep this stuff to myself, but it's not hard to pick up on.'

As far as females go, I'm better at figuring out if they're gay or not online than I am in person.

I always suspected that it was harder to spot a lesbian than a gay guy. It may sound bad and I might regret saying this but I think guys are on the lookout for sex more than women. It's the hunter instinct and the eyes are the big give away for me.