AUSSIES! Same sex marriage vote-Don't waste yours

last reply
16 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
3 likes
Convict
1 like
Whether you're straight or not please make sure you are enrolled with the Australian Electoral Commission so you can cast your YES vote for Legally binding Same Sex Marriage for Australians. If this doesn't get passed this time it's going to be a long, long, very long time before the opportunity arises again.

If you do not agree with same sex marriage please consider not voting at all rather than casting a no vote. Why? Because it's none of your fucking business who anyone wants to marry, that's why!

Don't all sit on your fat asses and assume the YES vote will win. Get out there and make it happen!

0 likes

If I fly down there to vote, will you buy me lunch?

Lurker
1 like
LOVE IS LOVE !!!!!!!!
1 like
I am of the general opinion that referenda on something like this are a bad idea. Politicians need to show some leadership and do what's right. Once the courts starting ruling in favour of same sex couples in various provinces, Canada made it legal across the country by passing a bill through Parliament following the usual process. No special referendum or anything. Now more than a decade later, I doubt most non-LGBTQ folks even notice it exists save the odd time they encounter a same sex married couple. Support for same sex marriage is up to around 70% here (was c. 50-50 at the time). I supported the bill from the get-go and was a UU, a church that fought for the right to marry same-sex couples, at the time (and still am in spirit).

That said, since Australia has gone the route they have, if you are an Aussie who cares at all for the rights of minorities, if you are an Aussie who thinks this should pass, then this is a referendum you want to vote in. Don't sit on your hands and expect others to pass it for you. That only means you pass the buck to others and those others might not be on your side.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
We've had proper same sex marriage here since April 2001. I was my brother's best man a couple of months later when he married my now brother-in-law. They celebrated their 15th anniversary last year. And besides them being happy and us being happy for them, the world hasn't changed a bit for any heterosexual couple because of it.

So, Aussies, make sure to join the club. We all know you will eventually anyway. So why not right now?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I am of the general opinion that referenda on something like this are a bad idea.

I wholeheartedly agree. Well, except for calling it a referendum - a referendum would make a binding change to the constitution. Marriage isn't mention in the constitution, and the upper house voted against paying for a plebiscite run by the electoral commission. Hence, we've got a postal 'survey' which some politicians have admitted that they will ignore.

So the process is a complete crock. But my 'Yes' vote has been signed, sealed and delivered (well, not signed actually, since that would kind of destroy the anonymity of the vote). Hopefully the answer will be resounding enough to make it really difficult for politicians to ignore...
Convict
0 likes
Quote by noll
We've had proper same sex marriage here since April 2001. I was my brother's best man a couple of months later when he married my now brother-in-law. They celebrated their 15th anniversary last year. And besides them being happy and us being happy for them, the world hasn't changed a bit for any heterosexual couple because of it.

So, Aussies, make sure to join the club. We all know you will eventually anyway. So why not right now?

A flower Noll? You've been hanging out in the spa too much
0 likes
Quote by trinket

A flower Noll? You've been hanging out in the spa too much

I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to harvest flowers in the Spa and expose them to unsafe spaces like the LGBT forum (where are Q & I btw?).

0 likes
Quote by trinket
LOL. Unsafe how?

As in not the Spa.

The Spa
This moderated "safe space" discussion forum is for people who prefer a harmonious and non-confrontational place, to talk about current events and any subjects which might not fit in other forums.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just curious !

If Trinket is straight (as per her profile) why is she 'Pro' Same Sex Marriage ? ? ?

ps. I'm still waiting to receive my ballot paper.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I live in Cairns, had to go onto the website and re order a ballot paper, still waiting to vote Yes....
Convict
0 likes
Quote by silveranode
Just curious !

If Trinket is straight (as per her profile) why is she 'Pro' Same Sex Marriage ? ? ?

ps. I'm still waiting to receive my ballot paper.

Because I believe every adult deserves the right to marry whoever they want to. I have friends who have wanted to marry and see how painful it was for them not to be able to. Im one of many straight supporters, do you think the 61% of the nation who voted yes are all LGBT?

I'm extremely impressed that 79% of eligible voters actually voted on this. Well done Aussies!