Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Yahoo email - MAJOR PRIVACY RISK

last reply
9 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
recently changed their privacy policy. If a privacy policy looks like this, get a new email provider!

Try one that will respect your privacy:

Welcome to webmail

If you don't pay for a product, you are the product
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
I love how companies like Facebook, and Google, are now starting to have to show some accountability.

It's disgusting what they get away with.
Quote by nicola
I love how companies like Facebook, and Google, are now starting to have to show some accountability.

It's disgusting what they get away with.

On the coattails of Mark Zuckerberg's testimony to Congress, you'd think he'd make an effort to lose the 'bad guy' image but Facebook just moved 1.5 billion users out of reach of the new European privacy law GDPR to avoid future liability if it breaks the new data protection rules.

Quote by Liz

On the coattails of Mark Zuckerberg's testimony to Congress, you'd think he'd make an effort to lose the 'bad guy' image but Facebook just moved 1.5 billion users out of reach of the new European privacy law GDPR to avoid future liability if it breaks the new data protection rules.

How did they move them out of reach of these rules? The rules apply to the data of EU residents.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Quote by noll
How did they move them out of reach of these rules? The rules apply to the data of EU residents.

The policy change doesn't affect EU residents, it affects users from Africa, Asia, Australia and Latin America.

They've changed their terms of service so that these users are governed by Facebook Inc in the US rather than Facebook Ireland. Otherwise, they would be required to apply the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to these countries outside the EU.

US laws are less restrictive and this change means Facebook users outside Europe will no longer be able to file complaints with the Irish data protection commissioner or in the Irish courts.
Quote by Liz
recently changed their privacy policy. If a privacy policy looks like this, get a new email provider!

Try one that will respect your privacy:

Any email client that offers a search feature for your mail will have to "analyse" it in order to do so. If you have your emails stored on your own machine then your locally installed client can do that, but if your email is stored on a server, that search algoritm will probably run on that server as well.
Lush has such a search feature, but I don't think Gav is "analyzing" our messages every time we search for something (though that might explain why he's always so busy). The ! terms might allow them to do such a thing though (if there's no law preventing them).

Quote by Liz
The policy change doesn't affect EU residents, it affects users from Africa, Asia, Australia and Latin America.

They've changed their terms of service so that these users are governed by Facebook Inc in the US rather than Facebook Ireland. Otherwise, they would be required to apply the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to these countries outside the EU.

US laws are less restrictive and this change means Facebook users outside Europe will no longer be able to file complaints with the Irish data protection commissioner or in the Irish courts.

Ah, I see, you're right. I was under the impression that it was only the end user that defined the scope. And since almost all users of the projects I work on are located in the EU we'll have to abide anyway.

Facebook creates different levels of privacy this way, which is bound to go wrong at some point.

Quote by noll
Any email client that offers a search feature for your mail will have to "analyse" it in order to do so. If you have your emails stored on your own machine then your locally installed client can do that, but if your email is stored on a server, that search algoritm will probably run on that server as well.
Lush has such a search feature, but I don't think Gav is "analyzing" our messages every time we search for something (though that might explain why he's always so busy). The ! terms might allow them to do such a thing though (if there's no law preventing them).

Tutanota has managed to develop a full search feature that works on the client side only using indexes. This ensures that the server never sees any unencrypted data or any search meta data. Clever stuff!

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/first-search-encrypted-data

I believe Protonmail is working on something similar also.
Quote by Liz

Tutanota has managed to develop a full search feature that works on the client side only using indexes. This ensures that the server never sees any unencrypted data or any search meta data. Clever stuff!

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/first-search-encrypted-data

I believe Protonmail is working on something similar also.

Nice!