Tough mudder....

last reply
6 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I've signed up for the tough mudder in April, have any of u guys done it? I have 6 months to get my self ready! I regularly hit the gym and have a work out plan all sorted.

However regarding diet, I am clueless. I don't eat much really, and prob most of the wrong foods. Does anyone know any good diet plans that are simple that will help me with muscle growth and stamina? I don't want to lose weight, currently I'm 5'6" and weigh 57kg.

I just want to be nutritionally, physically and mentally prepared/ready!

Any advise on any of the above mentioned will be very great fully received!!!

Thank you! smile
Head Nurse
0 likes
Good luck!

I'd like to do a tough mudder this next year. A few friends are running the one in tampa next month, but im not sure im ready for one yet.
Lurker
0 likes
Good Luck with this, it really is quite a feat if you can prepare and get through one. I prepared for one just over a year ago, but I was quite fit to begin with because of rugby, never managed to do it as I broke my leg in a game just weeks before.

Stamina will come through your workouts where you train for endurance, as for muscle growth, the key thing to remember is that muscle grows on your rest days, if you've decided to do tough mudder, you already know what’s involved and over all fitness and strength workouts would probably work best.

As for diet, having a balanced diet is the best way to go, try and cut out any junk foods, water is essential and the amount of it you take in daily. searching on google will give you plenty of meal plans that you could look at, but the best thing would be to gradually change your lifestyle to be more healthy and eat the right foods, I tend to try and stick with whole foods, and eat meals at set times or intervals.
If you drink alcohol (easily one of the most detrimental things to training gains) on a regular basis,try and cut down or stop altogether,instead opting for a juice or something
(sorry, i dont actually know how fit you are or how good your current diet is, so my answer is very generic)

Lastly, if you can enlist a friend to do it with, it really would be a lot easier, out of the group of 10 of us that were supposed to do it, only I missed out through injury, but having friends really spurs you on.
Lurker
0 likes
A healthy well balanced diet with lean healthy proteins at every meal, build your meals around the protein and not a carbohydrate. No junk food, no alcohol, easy on the caffeine since its dehydrating and dehydration is your enemy. Lots of good healthy vegetables and fruit. Whole grains. Healthy fats like olive oil, flax oil...Try to stick to fresh food and not empty calories with no nutritional value.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of filtered water and take your vitamins. I drink electrolyte enhanced water, like Smart Water or some other brands, when I go for a run or if I know I am going to be surfing in the hot sun all day or when I am working long hours. It makes a world of difference in stamina and energy.

Good luck!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Not the London West one? I'm all signed up and can see April looming ever nearer!
Lurker
0 likes
Preparation depends on the mudder you are shooting for. I competed in a 12-mile mudder with 25 obstacles, and you will obviously find the later obstacles challenging. I always have a protein-rich diet, but otherwise balanced; I supplemented that with protein shakes about half an hour after each daily workout for the 3 months leading up to the race. The running portion is rarely a challenge, however fatigue will impact your ability to leap and to grip, so make sure you know what the obstacles are and where they will be positioned - then test your ability to complete similar type of obstacles when you are fatigued. Lots of fun - good luck!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am doing a Mudrella--women's race...training starts NOW!

Art can never exist without naked beauty displayed.