Prostate Cancer

last reply
42 replies
3.4k views
5 watchers
43 likes
"the Great God (snicker)" - James 'Bear' Llewellyn
7 likes

Some are fully aware of what is going on in my life at the moment, some have read my profile and seen the odd post that hints at something. I thought now was as good a time as any to share with people what has been going on. My hope is that it will encourage people to keep an eye out for symptoms, to not shy away from getting checked and to encourage loved ones to get checked.

So as we came to the end of 2020, lockdowns were easing in the UK and the vaccine was starting to roll out, everyone was looking forward to the back of the year and all the jokes were to tiptoe into 2021 very quietly. Just before Christmas I noticed that my pee flow was not as strong as it had been and thought as my father had had a benign prostate enlargement (BPE) it would be something like this. The season took over and it wasn't until January (11th) I call the Dr about it.

I explained my symptoms and he booked me in to get a blood test done - he did a full set of tests including my PSA (Prostate-specific antigen). The Dr was on the phone two days after my blood test about the results. All the results came back indicating acceptable or good, with the exception of my PSA. Normally anything upto 4.0 ng/mL is deemed acceptable, my result came back as 38 ng/mL.

That phone call started a whirlwind of activity. I was booked in to see a urologist and was in front of him a week later. He did a digital exam. Now people comment that it is uncomfortable, I would say it's not the most dignified procedure, but the gel felt cold other than that it was done and over with in seconds. On the basis of that, he had felt some hard lumps and when I suggested BPE, he said it was possible but unlikely, I should expect it to be cancer.

On the back of the urologist appointment, I was sent for an MRI, a contrast enhanced (CE) CT scan and a bone scan and also booked in for a biopsies after these.

The MRI and CT were much the same as normal (I've had a few before), though this was my 1st CECT. It was the weirdest feeling during the procedure it felt like I was full to bursting of water and just wanted to pee out of every pore smile The bone scan, I had to visit the hospital to get injected with a radiation marker and then go away for a couple of hours. All was going well until the end of the scan the radiographer spoke to the Drs about my scan and they wanted some more take. Now I was paranoid that the cancer had spread to my bones.

The biopsies took place a couple of weeks later - biopsies because they took 30 samples. I walked into the room and there was a bed with stirrups on, which my feet were strapped into and that was just the start of the indignity. There was a Dr (the only other man in the room) and 7 nurses and trainees and worst of all I saw what looked like two 8 inch needles on a trolley at the side. Well the start is an anaesthetic to the nerves either side of the prostate, that is what one of the needles was for - that was gut churning feeling the needle going through my perineum into the nerves. Next was an ultrasound probe so the Dr to see the prostate, that was about 8 inches long too and about 1/2 inch across. Finally the biopsies, 2 small holes were made either side of my perineum and a tool inserted to take 6 samples from the 4 1/4s of my prostate plus 6 others (the most they take). Each cut felt like an elastic band was being twanged against my prostate. The staff were all very good and the atmosphere was kept light... as light as possible and I was in an out in the same day. Though I was sore for a few days after.

It was the following week I had my follow up and given my formal diagnosis - stage 3 locally advanced aggressive prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 9 (4+5). It was pretty devastating despite all that had been said, to get it confirmed. It did not help that my sister's long term boyfriend had died of lung cancer the previous year. Initially there was talk of having an operation to remove my prostate but they decided that doing so would risk too much damage to the nerve bundles that run either side. So they opted for radiotherapy and I was referred to an oncologist. Before my first appointment I was started on hormone therapy (or androgen suppression therapy) the idea being that this slows or stops the growth of the cancer. After just over a month on the hormone therapy my PSA had dropped from 38 to 7.0 ng/mL. The plan is to be on the hormone therapy for a total of 18 months.

Meeting the oncologist was actually quite the breakthrough. I had been reading a lot and there was talk of 1, 5 and 10 year survival rates for stage 3 and Gleason scores of 9. She immediately talked about external beam radiotherapy followed by chemotherapy, which all sounded a lot until she also said there was no reason to not expect to live for another 40 years. In the UK for prostate cancer it seems that people undergoing radiotherapy have between 20 and 37 treatments - I got the full 37.

Until this point I was doing fine. I think I had welled up once when the urologist 1st said to expect cancer. I went to get measured for therapy where I got 3 small tattoos to help with their targeting and a couple of weeks later it started. The 1st couple of weeks were easy - I drove myself to the appointments, read some smut while drinking water to fill my bladder. When I was called in, I changed into some ultra sexy paper underwear for modesty, was taken through and got onto the table. Feet went into a holder and knees were held up a little. First there was a CT scan to check everything was in the right place, if it was the treatment started. All told, if everything went straight forward I was on the table for no more than 15 minutes. Then it was pee straight after and then race home to get to the loo again.

Each week there was a review with a senior radiotherapist and it was about 1/2 way through treatment that I broke down with her. Despite the support I got the overwhelming feeling of being so lonely and I came very close to throwing the towel in and letting the cancer do what it will (this wasn't the 1st time I had an argument with myself about whether to have treatment or not). Other effects included being constantly tired and needing to visit the loo far more regularly even than right before the treatment started - it was after all that whole region that was being pummeled with x-rays everyday, these effects didn't stop when I was asleep either so waking 4 or 5 times through the night was not unusual.

Everyone in the radiotherapy team were fantastic, I can't thank them enough!

I finished the radiotherapy on Monday of last week and slowly some of the side effects have finally started to abate a little. Next step is a blood test in a couple of weeks and my next oncologist appointment is on 17th November and that is to review the radio and where my PSA is at. Also to discuss the next steps - chemotherapy. I will post again when I know more.

Of the people that use the forum regularly I would like to thank AvidlyCurious for checking in on me nearly daily and for being there when I was collapsing and for the regular mails from Kimmi checking up and offering to stick things up my bum :) There have been a few other Lushies that have been there for me in different ways and I am so grateful to all of them.

TLDR - prostate cancer can sneak up on you (or your loved one) - if you have reason to; such as symptoms or familial risk (that can include breast cancer!) make sure to get a PSA test done if not before but by 45.

If you have not had one before it is worth talking to a Dr and getting one done at 50 - those couple of years could have been the difference between stage 2 and stage 3 for me. It would certainly have meant that my treatment would be done and dusted with me.

Finally, remember that this can affect anyone that has a prostate.

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

1 like

Squishy hugs Kite-y! I remember my pseudotelekinetic mind replying to your message a couple of days ago. biggrin Here goes the answers to my medically-related questions and more. My prayers to you as I tip my invisible hat brave man for having the courage to face the big C and being a light to the rest of us who needs to see the path of reality. Absolutely, living saying 'Oops!', rather than 'What if?' We'll have a good laugh on my love hard part. wink kiss

Charming as fuck
1 like

Sending positive thoughts. I think you've done something incredibly brave by sharing what you've been through and hopefully given an awareness and also reassurance to some who may need it.

Love and health to you ❤️

Simple Scribbler
1 like

Kite, I need you to keep fighting the fight because it's so fun for me to watch you try to wrangle the other penises and win the "Women vs Men" game. lol

Seriously, I can't imagine what you've been through. I'm always around to listen and support. You can do this!! And we have a coffee date in 2024 when you're crossing the big pond! Don't forget cause you're buying! biggrin

Hugs, my friend! smile

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

I wish you the best of luck! And I wish to thank you for sharing your story. It is a brave thing that you do! Positive thoughts and please keep us updated.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
1 like

May you win this fight! Wishing you all the best of luck and medicine.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Goddess
1 like

I adore you my friend. You are going to kick this because, well, you HAVE to.

I am not as talented with words. But each one of mine are just as heartfelt and sincere.

Always your friend, Vee

His GODDESS 💋💋💋💋💋💋

Every second of every day. 💕💝

Her Royal Spriteness
1 like

I hope that you are doing well - sorry, just now caught this thread! i'm glad you have people to reach out to and to share with and laugh with and to help take away a little of the hardships you're going through. not an easy thing, i imagine, but having a positive attitude helps a lot, as does having a support system. keep up the strength and beat this sucker. lots of love and hugs. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
1 like

Thank you Kite - for sharing your experience. You are incredibly brave. Your account also corrected some assumptions that I had - like I thought the needle biopsies go up the rectum, for example.

I am 57. At 53 I noticed my semen went suddenly from normal to just a few drops. Though my sex life had been tailing off anyway (once every month at most and no masturbation) I thought maybe this was the reason. Then a few months later I noticed some blood in the condom - not much - but still - a bit scary. It did clear but I went to the doctor and he said blood in semen is not that unusual - but only a problem if there are other symptoms. As for lack of semen - he said in middle aged men thats not uncommon either. He did not do a digital exam but sent me for a psa test - it came back normal.

My urine flow is just fine though it is a bit slower at night. However - because I know this is one of the main symptoms I am always watching for it - I can produce a flow that lands one metre in front of me when I have a full tank so if I see that change I will be going direct to the doctor. But I am planning a psa test shortly anyway as a precaution. I dropped all dairy products recently as I read that dairy can increase your risks of prostate problems, I have dropped red meat - I eat a good variety of fruit and veg and I also have diluted raw apple cider vinegar every day plus maintain a good BMI and try to keep fit. I feel I am doing everything I reasonably can to avoid prostate problems but appreciate it could still happen. There is no history on either side of my family though a scottish uncle did die of bladder cancer at 75 - though he drank heavily - maybe a connection.

I am sorry that you have had to go through this and once again thank you for your very detailed and helpful account. I really hope that you come through all your treatment successfully and live a long time.

0 likes

Quote by louche_lexi

Squishy hugs Kite-y! I remember my pseudotelekinetic mind replying to your message a couple of days ago. biggrin Here goes the answers to my medically-related questions and more. My prayers to you as I tip my invisible hat brave man for having the courage to face the big C and being a light to the rest of us who needs to see the path of reality. Absolutely, living saying 'Oops!', rather than 'What if?' We'll have a good laugh on my love hard part. wink kiss

Thank you Lexi smile

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.

0 likes

Quote by Jen

Sending positive thoughts. I think you've done something incredibly brave by sharing what you've been through and hopefully given an awareness and also reassurance to some who may need it.

Love and health to you ❤️

Many thanks Jen smile

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by KimmiBeGood

Kite, I need you to keep fighting the fight because it's so fun for me to watch you try to wrangle the other penises and win the "Women vs Men" game. lol

Seriously, I can't imagine what you've been through. I'm always around to listen and support. You can do this!! And we have a coffee date in 2024 when you're crossing the big pond! Don't forget cause you're buying! biggrin

Hugs, my friend! smile

Maybe I need to change forum title to "Penis wrangler" :lol:

I'm paying?? gag OK then

But thank you for the ongoing offer of support

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by 1nwguy

I wish you the best of luck! And I wish to thank you for sharing your story. It is a brave thing that you do! Positive thoughts and please keep us updated.

Thank you 1nwguy

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by noll

May you win this fight! Wishing you all the best of luck and medicine.

Thanks noll, I appreciate it.

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by Venus18

I adore you my friend. You are going to kick this because, well, you HAVE to.

I am not as talented with words. But each one of mine are just as heartfelt and sincere.

Always your friend, Vee

Thank you Vee, my words cannot express my thanks for the support you have given me...

Where is the damned hug emoji?!?! mad

Huge Hugg

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by sprite

I hope that you are doing well - sorry, just now caught this thread! i'm glad you have people to reach out to and to share with and laugh with and to help take away a little of the hardships you're going through. not an easy thing, i imagine, but having a positive attitude helps a lot, as does having a support system. keep up the strength and beat this sucker. lots of love and hugs. smile

I had hoped this year would be easier than last... maybe next year.. oh wait, I have an update lol

Thank you sprite :)

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by rafael

Thank you Kite - for sharing your experience. You are incredibly brave. Your account also corrected some assumptions that I had - like I thought the needle biopsies go up the rectum, for example.

I am 57. At 53 I noticed my semen went suddenly from normal to just a few drops. Though my sex life had been tailing off anyway (once every month at most and no masturbation) I thought maybe this was the reason. Then a few months later I noticed some blood in the condom - not much - but still - a bit scary. It did clear but I went to the doctor and he said blood in semen is not that unusual - but only a problem if there are other symptoms. As for lack of semen - he said in middle aged men thats not uncommon either. He did not do a digital exam but sent me for a psa test - it came back normal.

My urine flow is just fine though it is a bit slower at night. However - because I know this is one of the main symptoms I am always watching for it - I can produce a flow that lands one metre in front of me when I have a full tank so if I see that change I will be going direct to the doctor. But I am planning a psa test shortly anyway as a precaution. I dropped all dairy products recently as I read that dairy can increase your risks of prostate problems, I have dropped red meat - I eat a good variety of fruit and veg and I also have diluted raw apple cider vinegar every day plus maintain a good BMI and try to keep fit. I feel I am doing everything I reasonably can to avoid prostate problems but appreciate it could still happen. There is no history on either side of my family though a scottish uncle did die of bladder cancer at 75 - though he drank heavily - maybe a connection.

I am sorry that you have had to go through this and once again thank you for your very detailed and helpful account. I really hope that you come through all your treatment successfully and live a long time.

Rafael, thank you for sharing your experiences, hopefully someone will read this thread and it will motivate them to get checked if they are concerned. If it helps one person have it a little easier then our posts will have been worth it.

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

I am glad you are doing better. You are a wonderful person. I am for you. Thank you for letting others know about this

0 likes

Quote by Megiss

I am glad you are doing better. You are a wonderful person. I am for you. Thank you for letting others know about this

Thank you Meg smile

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

4 likes

So what happened next?

I was due to see my oncologist on 17th November. I had to get my next blood test sometime before that, so that happened in the 1st week. On the 17th I did not meet with the original consultant but her registrar. And to be honest the bottom fell out of my world for a bit.

My blood test had brought back a PSA of 1.5 (down from the original 38 and subsequent 7.0), this is slap bang in the middle of the acceptable range. He said the radiotherapy appeared to have been a success and to expect my PSA to carry on falling. As it was successful and my Gleason score was only 9 (out of 10 blink ) it meant that it had not metastasised and so I would not need chemo. Good new huh? I was told by one person not to look a gift horse in the mouth and when I asked another what I did now, their comment was get on with my life... but I felt gut punched. When I pushed him, he also said that chemo is only funded for metastatic patients. And then I really pushed saying that the consultant had spoken about giving me chemo even knowing my scores.

He scurried away and promised to call me that afternoon and true to his word he did. An appointment was being booked for 2 weeks time with the consultant. That was today.

A few of things stick out for me.

1) I know I was psyched up to have chemo and potentially for 6 months once it started.

2) There was an empty feeling of not being prepared to have that time back. Hence my "What do I do now?"

3) I felt uncomfortable knowing the consultant had wanted to throw the book at it and clear up any micro-metastases and remnants that might be lingering, would not having the chemo leave me vulnerable.

4) After talking with some others, we came to the conclusion that he had not spoken with the consultant about me and was just following the standard pathway (which she confirmed today), this could well have been fine for 10 - 15 years, but I'm also 10 - 15 years younger than the most common age for prostate cancer diagnosis (65-69).

I was sitting there waiting when a person other the consultant I had seen called me in. I refused telling him I was seeing her, I'm not sure he was prepared for that response as he stuttered and went in to speak with her.

Finally, I was sitting in front of the consultant. She was really friendly took her time to explain everything and answer all the questions I had. Yes, technically I should not be funded on the NHS for chemo, but studies (I have a feeling I'm going to be one later) have shown that by treating it aggressively like this, it gives good long term outcomes. The trouble is most prostate cancer patients are older and so long term survival is often marred by other causes of death.

I will be getting chemotherapy (instead of metastatic on the form she filled out she put aggressive, not a lie but not strictly in the bounds of the rules... I liked her even more lol )

It should start in January (I've started another file for my chemo paperwork) and I will be scheduled for 6 courses of treatment, one every 3 weeks. So come the end of May, it should be completed. It is one of the chemos that causes hair lose apparently that should start in week 2 or 3 among other side effects. I will also be on steroids for the duration. I have no doubt it's going to be a rough few months, but I am happy that I am going to be getting this and hopefully slamming that door fully shut.

After that, my last hormone implant is due in June and then it will be a case of monitoring everything. PSA level tests starting 3 monthly, then to 6 months and finally annually for life.

I will update this thread when I've start the chemo if there is anything of note or just a summary afterwards.

Once again thank you to everyone that has reached out be it just in this thread and to those that ask me every day how I am. It really does help.

For those that are interested:

Chemotherapy - Docetaxel

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/drugs/docetaxel

Hormone therapy - Zoladex 10.8 mg (3 monthly implants for 18 months)

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/goserelin-for-prostate-cancer

---

In other news I had my 1st of 6 massages that were arranged for me by The Macmillian trust, a cancer support charity and that was bloody lovely. A Swedish full body massage, no Kimmi, no happy endings silly But maybe the basis for a story... My next is on Monday next week.

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

The Goddess
1 like

Hey Kite,

Hope this out pour of support shows you are not alone and are surrounded with people who have your back.

Go in peace Vee.

His GODDESS 💋💋💋💋💋💋

Every second of every day. 💕💝

Quantum Tease
1 like

I can only send hugs, sweet one.

Terrestrial Mermaid from Deep Space
1 like

I wish medical abstracts were this fun to read with the emojis. You're always in my prayers dear, novenas for St. Jude especially. I just had a Swedish massage as of writing. biggrin

Latest stories:

💙 Love Beyond the Stars

💙 Which Would You Prefer To Dip Your Fries Into?

💙 Okay

💙 Autolove

💙 Fuck for Gold

💙 On My Tongue

Please read, rate ❤️⭐, and leave an honest comment on the story. Coins are welcome, too!

STORY LIST || STORY BACKGROUNDS 💋💙

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Kite, I am glad that you have some good news to share. You may not be out of the woods yet, but it seems that you may have rounded the corner and are on your way back to being in good health. Please keep us updated!

Simple Scribbler
2 likes

Kite, did you ask about the Happy Ending? I mean, how do you know, if you don't ask. biggrin and please video record and share with us if you get one.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
1 like

As a baldie myself I would suggest shaving it all off once the hair loss starts. If your head is somewhat symmetrical, that'll look better than random bald patches. Be aware for cold weather though, because even the tiniest bit of hair makes a difference.

Good luck!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

At 74 yrs I had a "rotor rooter" procedure done and that has immensly helped in the pee situation. However, Ive lost ability to get erection enough to shake hands with much less have sex. Cialis and Viagra haven't helped one bit so gonna see if Doctor will let me try Levitra. My biopsi procedures were done thru rectum in hospital setting. Ive had it done in Doctor's office but NEVER AGAIN... way too painful. Good luck in the future!!

0 likes

Quote by Venus18

Hey Kite,

Hope this out pour of support shows you are not alone and are surrounded with people who have your back.

Go in peace Vee.

Not sure about going in peace... not just yet silly

But thank you for the sentiment smile

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by lynnwitt

I can only send hugs, sweet one.

Thank you Lynn

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

0 likes

Quote by Myrrhhhhhh

I wish medical abstracts were this fun to read with the emojis. You're always in my prayers dear, novenas for St. Jude especially. I just had a Swedish massage as of writing. biggrin

Thank you M

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns