Login

Plateaus....

last reply
12 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Nurse
I've been watching my diet, and adding exercise since last fall. I signed up for 2 half marathons and have been training regularly, running 6 days/week, Zumba 4-6 times a week. yoga on tuesday. This had been very effective for me to lose weight. Now I have plateaued, and cant seem to get the rest off. (id like to lose about 30 #'s more) I've discussed it with the Physician, (ill be seeing him tomorrow, as a matter of fact) and a Registered Dietitian, neither seem to concerned about it, and both say that I am toning. It worries me though. I want to get to my goal. So I want to get off this plateau.

What have you done to break the plateau?
Active Ink Slinger
I suggest lifting weights to build lean muscle and burn fat - 15 reps x 3 sets per exercise. Start with the large muscle groups - squats, shoulder press, rows, etc; and add on from there. Don't rest in between sets - pick 3 exercises and cycle through all 3 in a row, then set 2, etc.

You won't bulk up with light weights.

Also, I would build in some intensity (80% of max for 4-5 min, rest as little as possible, repeat) cycles in your cardio - at least once a week. I alternate swimming, biking, and running to keep me from getting bored.

Climbing stairs (2 at a time) is also convenient and great alternative to squats.

I've been to Zumba and it's fun, but nothing like what I get out of my workouts.
Head Nurse
I've bumped up a bit this week, upping the running to 5miles/day, and started sit ups & push ups. I was doing some squats, but with the increased running, I'm finding the squats are really making my knees act up. Swimming today. (still hitting the zumba after work) I'm down another pound this week, so maybe its helping...or not...
Raised on Blackroot
Quote by naughtynurse
I've bumped up a bit this week, upping the running to 5miles/day, and started sit ups & push ups. I was doing some squats, but with the increased running, I'm finding the squats are really making my knees act up. Swimming today. (still hitting the zumba after work) I'm down another pound this week, so maybe its helping...or not...

That's really tough on the knees, that much running. My knees couldn't take it. If squats are making your knees bark, DITCH THEM! I can't emphasize that enough. Squats in general aren't all that good on your body, even if you are doing them correctly. I'd suggest dead-lifts instead. Easier on the knees.

Have you tried HIT training in addition to plain jogging? It, also, is easier on the knees.

It also works better than jogging for hours on end. You get the benefit without all the wear and tear on the knees or the time spent.

Try sprinting full out for 15-30 seconds. Then power-walk/jog for 2 minutes again. Rinse and repeat for about 15 minutes to start.

It's the equivalent of Px90, only in cardio form. You want to ease into HIT training though.

Here's a HIT primer.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit
Head Nurse
I run regular runs(5 miles at the moment) 4 days/wk. one day I do a long run (planning 12 miles tomorrow) and one day I do a shorter fast run(usually 2 miles). Like I said in the first post, I'm training for a half marathon(actually two of them) so I'm trying to increase my mileage. I stopped doing the squats when I had issues on my run.

I watch my diet pretty close. Most days I have salad for lunch, no cheese or bread and with some protein source. Most of the time I have salad for dinner too (I LOVE wilted lettuce salad with hot bacon dressing) about one day a week I have "fat girl dinner" and have whatever I'm craving in moderation. I also count my calories pretty close. It had been working great with a fairly steady weight loss of 1-2 lbs/wk since January. However, like I said, somehow I've stalled. But since I'm down a pound, I'm hoping changing up my routine is going to work smile
Raised on Blackroot
Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Like I said though, HIT training does work. You only need to do it twice a week. Doesn't even have to be running.

You run do a sprint while swimming for 30 seconds, then cool over for 2-5, and rinse and repeat.

You can do the same on an elliptical machine or a stationary bike as well.

Mixing things up with smoothies as a meal replacements can work wonders, especially for energy.

Green smoothies, light protein smoothies, and super fruit smoothies.
Head Nurse
Because of where I live, gyms, and other fitness equipment aren't really a viable option. (I am looking at moving though, so potentially in the future...)
Lurker
Wow. That's a lot of exercise. I feel a bit concerned for your health, actually. You seem obsessed with fitness for no obvious reason. You dont look overweight or fat in any of your profile photos. Why aren't you satisfied with your body now? You look fab.
Head Nurse
As I said in the opening post, I discuss my diet with a Registered Dietitian regularly(every 2 wks), and I see/discuss my weight loss with an MD weekly. I'm in good health; my vitals are stable, and within healthy limits, and my H&H is within normal limits. What is out of range is my weight. I am 228# and 6'0." according to several different methods I am well above my ideal weight range. My family history is strong in Diabetes, Hypertension, and stroke, all of which are effected by exercise. I would say what I am doing is more then healthy. I am following a training plan for the running, and the zumba, as was stated, isn't really that difficult, although it is fun.

"Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 153.0 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 153.0 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 161.2 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 158.5 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 136.4 lbs - 184.3 lbs"

Your chain mail work is well done and quite impressive. I love the pieces I have, but don't think I have anywhere near the patience to craft it!
Lurker
You making sure you get enough calories in your diet? Living a very active lifestyle requires a lot more calories than a less active person. Seeing as you do a lot of work out almost every day you need tp maintain a healthy level of intake so your body actually starts using energy and burning calories. Training isn't all about running, it's about eating the right amount as well.

If you don't eat enough your body will just shut down and save energy. End result is that doing the same runs will take more time or you'll run less before you're knackered.

Another thing could be how long you've had your old starting weight. If you've been X lbs for a long enough time then your body will actually do what it can to maintain that weight. If that's the case then basically it's more about stubbornness and doing it long enough for your body to give up and go "alright, I'll lose some more weight then!"
Lurker
I hope my comment earlier didn't come off as anything but concerned. . .because I'm not being douchey judmental here smile

In my experience (having gone from being overweight to being a bodybuilder in the past (7 years ago) - the heavier you are the easier it is to lose weight. It takes few adjustments - your body responds quickly. The closer you are, the harder it gets, because the span of 'too few' calories and 'too many' becomes more narrow - and your body, once muscled and more toned, takes less effort to push to achieve X physical goal. (for a while - you're whipping your entire body, all your systems, into shape - there's much more to it than just sweating and flexing, as you know)

So focus on diet while keeping fitness the same. . . tighten that up, etc (you didn't discuss it much so I don't know where you're at)
Sounds like you are doing well and there is some great advice given so far... The only thing I would add is to be sure you are eating enough calories in a day... If you dont eat enough every day your body goes into starvation mode and eats away at muscle as opposed to eating away at fat stores... Given the amount of exercise you are doing, I would guess (purely guessing) that your body is burning 2,500-3,000 calories a day minimum. At that rate you should be taking in at least 1,800 calories a day... Less than that you go into starvation mode... And of course eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours helps keep your metabolism in high gear... Also consider changing up your work outs and by that I mean shocking your system... Your body becomes used to running, swimming and Zumba... Try weight lifting, rock climbing or even just calisthenics to work different muscles you havent used... Good luck!!
Lurker
I've actually looked into this sort if thing in an effort to regain weight and muscle mass I lost a while back. At first I wanted to gain upwards of 30+ lbs so I hit the net for over a week straight. Most if what I found pertained to women, one such topic hit this exact topic. As you said your physician and dietitian don't seemd concerned. The article said this could be because your body is acutely aware of its comfort weight when shaving off lbs. So there comes a time where you simply plateau. Which is your bodys way of saying you're at a healthy comfortable point.

The article went on to say that if you're intent on reaching your goal to seek a professional opinion as you said you'd be doing. So I'm sure you'll get there. Though you may have to switch up your routine completely as your body is likely just used to the current excercise regime you've been doing.