last reply
52 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WanKaDDict

Next time you are in a Supermarket or a clothes shop check out say the dresses and see what is the smallest compared to the largest size for the same design, you will find they are generally the same price.

Is this fair to the size 10 purchaser?

Do you also imagine the price of this shoe is based on the amount of leather used to make it?

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WanKaDDict

I understand that some people have slower metabolic rates and some gain weight through illness (proper illness), the problem I have is when people eat too much through gluttony and then blame it on Genes etc.

Our genes do affect our eating behaviors though. It's a lot more complex than you seem to think.
Stress, environment, access to healthy foods, economic status, health issues, etc. can also impact a person's food choices. Some of these can of course be overcome by making healthier choices, and personal responsibility for your own health is hugely important, but shaming and judging people for their size is just really unhelpful I think.
Lurker
0 likes
@wank:

fwiw, i think people are really piling on in this thread. i didn't read every post but i didn't notice anything you said that just made me sick. the fact is, while there are definitely outlying examples, most people with weight problems are in the condition they are in because of poor choices--that doesn't make them bad people, good people make poor choices too. i do it all the time and i think i'm a pretty good person overall. but as i said earlier, neither making excuses for them nor ridiculing them does anyone any good. help them. it's within almost everyone's capacity to make positive changes in their own lives and it's easier when you have support.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mrd82
@wank:

fwiw, i think people are really piling on in this thread. i didn't read every post but i didn't notice anything you said that just made me sick. the fact is, while there are definitely outlying examples, most people with weight problems are in the condition they are in because of poor choices--that doesn't make them bad people, good people make poor choices too. i do it all the time and i think i'm a pretty good person overall. but as i said earlier, neither making excuses for them nor ridiculing them does anyone any good. help them. it's within almost everyone's capacity to make positive changes in their own lives and it's easier when you have support.

There may be some bits of sense in wankaddict's posts, but the title is pretty fucking rude.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by oohlala74

I'm a UK size 14 but because I'm only 5ft 2 it puts me into the fat category, I can see where you are coming from to a point as there people out there who abuse their bodies and it's the NHS that pick's up the tab. If I didn't control my right my weight then my pcos would end up running into diabetes and heart disease , and its up to me to try and control (as much as I can anyway) my weight to prevent this from happening. As it happens I'm pushing myself to try and get to a size 10 ( still fat for my height in reality but not as offensive as being a lardy size 14) but it's going to be a long and very hard slog to get there.

My wife is 5'2" and 12 on the bottom 14 on the top, I wouldn't say she is fat but but some people would say fat or skinny - according to their own preference.

The program I was watching had Fat people on not size 14's
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Do you also imagine the price of this shoe is based on the amount of leather used to make it?

You are getting silly now, but maybe bigger shoes should have a higher pricetag, it would be fairer.

Buy designer pay designer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by jollylolly

There may be some bits of sense in wankaddict's posts, but the title is pretty fucking rude.

Point taken, but it was a reference to the individuals in the shows, if you have seen them you would understand.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by WanKaDDict

You are getting silly now, but maybe bigger shoes should have a higher pricetag, it would be fairer.

Buy designer pay designer.

What I was trying to illustrate with my example that companies only pay about 75 cents per piece of clothing to make and what OMNK is trying to say with his example with the shoes is that clothing prices aren't based on the cost of the materials to make them. They are based on the people's demand for them, name brand, quality etc.

If I go to a high end store a button up shirt can cost me upwards of 300 dollars. At this price range the smalls DO cost the same as the XLs because I am not paying for just the material. If I go to Walmart for a button up shirt that costs 6 dollars then yeah, Walmart will charge a couple bucks more for a larger size because you're not paying for style or a name brand. You're literally paying for the cost of material, buttons, thread and Walmart's overhead.

Are you that broke that you want retailers to charge a couple bucks more for a large size so your clothes can be a few cents cheaper? LOL
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by jollylolly

that's a fair point. i do think he's referring to the morbidly obese though, people with seriously dangerous addictions, not the average overweight person. not that that means the statement isn't rude, but i do think it makes it more understandable. if you said "what is wrong with heroin addicts, are they stupid or something?" that wouldn't be a polite thing to say, but i could understand that point of view.
Princess D
0 likes
your beauty shines within....i find this thread kinda rude and judgemental...I personally love to stay in shape...but its up to the person ...being "big"...can be do to health reason or they are happy with their bodies...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

What I was trying to illustrate with my example that companies only pay about 75 cents per piece of clothing to make and what OMNK is trying to say with his example with the shoes is that clothing prices aren't based on the cost of the materials to make them. They are based on the people's demand for them, name brand, quality etc.

If I go to a high end store a button up shirt can cost me upwards of 300 dollars. At this price range the smalls DO cost the same as the XLs because I am not paying for just the material. If I go to Walmart for a button up shirt that costs 6 dollars then yeah, Walmart will charge a couple bucks more for a larger size because you're not paying for style or a name brand. You're literally paying for the cost of material, buttons, thread and Walmart's overhead.

Are you that broke that you want retailers to charge a couple bucks more for a large size so your clothes can be a few cents cheaper? LOL

I am not rich or well off but not broke and earn the average for the UK, but in reality yes I do think and stick to this - I want to pay for what I get I don't to pay pay towards somebody else's clothes/ shoes and if someone is smaller than me then yes they should pay lees than me also.

Picking at detail or hurling rubbish insults to try and prove a point doesn't really add to this thread.

Thanks for the non flaming though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WanKaDDict

I am not rich or well off but not broke and earn the average for the UK, but in reality yes I do think and stick to this - I want to pay for what I get I don't to pay pay towards somebody else's clothes/ shoes and if someone is smaller than me then yes they should pay lees than me also.

Picking at detail or hurling rubbish insults to try and prove a point doesn't really add to this thread.

Thanks for the non flaming though.

The thing you're not getting though is that price for fast-moving consumer goods is set at what consumers are willing to pay not at how much the items cost to produce.

There are many other factors as well like economies of scale. The most popular women's size in M&S is 14. If they order 1000 units at size 14 and 500 at size 8, the unit price for the 14s will be cheaper than the smaller size 8s.

It's a question of value perception. The size 8 shopper is getting the same value as the size 14 because both have something that performs the same function for them. It's not like charging the same for a cheeseburger as a Big Mac
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

The thing you're not getting though is that price for fast-moving consumer goods is set at what consumers are willing to pay not at how much the items cost to produce.

There are many other factors as well like economies of scale. The most popular women's size in M&S is 14. If they order 1000 units at size 14 and 500 at size 8, the unit price for the 14s will be cheaper than the smaller size 8s.

It's a question of value perception. The size 8 shopper is getting the same value as the size 14 because both have something that performs the same function for them. It's not like charging the same for a cheeseburger as a Big Mac

Brilliant logic there, so why are size 30's for example the same price as a 14 and 8 - as following the above now doesn't make much sense.

Cheers for the input though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was accused of being anorexic and not eating enough when I was at a healthy weight and pretty much all muscle, at 5 ft. and about 125 pounds. I lead an extremely active lifestyle that included hiking, running, step aerobics, weight training and martial arts. Then, I got on Depo Provera as a form of birth control because my boyfriend at the time was too selfish and lazy to wear a condom.

I developed PCOS, within the first three months of being on birth control. Within six months I gained 80 lbs. eating pretty much just skinless chicken and salad. I exercised every single day for at least two hours. Within a year I developed Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and didn't know it until I literally collapsed in sheer exhaustion after doing five minutes of an exercise video. I couldn't even get my muscles to move enough to get up off the floor for two hours.

I've struggled for the last 14 YEARS to get my weight back to normal, since I got sick. I'm still sick, but I do what I can to exercise and I eat better than most people do. No coffee, sugary fruit juices, or soda. No energy drinks either. I drink nothing but water and herbal tea with honey.

Breakfast:
1 Cup Steel cut oatmeal with diced apple (real apple) and cinnamon, and half an orange.
OR
2 Egg Omelette, with spinach, red, green and orange bell pepper, mushroom, onion and 1 oz. of shredded cheese.
1 Slice of 12 Grain wheat toast.

Snack:
A Yogurt with Chia Seeds
OR a banana

Lunch:
Homemade Loaded Veggie Soup (Red Beans and 8 different Veggies) and a Turkey Pita with Tomatoes, Avocado and Sprouts
Or
A Grilled Chicken Salad and Whatever leftover dinner from the night before.

Snack:
A Raw Veggie Plate: Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Cucumber, Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Green Beans, and a string cheese.

Dinner:
Grilled Herb Chicken/Yam or Red Potatoes/Spinach Salad
Or
Beef Veggie Stir Fry with 1/2 cup of cooked Rice
Or
Grilled Salmon with Lemon and Dill, Steamed Rice and Broccoli

I rarely eat dessert, If I do it's a yogurt I put in the freezer
Or
A Frozen Berry Smoothie, with a splash of almond milk.

I use coconut oil instead of butter or oil.
Honey instead of sugar.
I don't eat pizza, pasta, or white bread.
I don't eat fast food, french fries or other junk food.
I don't eat crackers, cookies, chips, candy or chocolate.
I don't eat any pre-packaged, processed or frozen meals.
I don't use condiments accept stir fry sauce, and I make my own salad dressing.

The most processed thing I eat is my yogurt and string cheese, which I only eat because I refuse to drink milk and I need the calcium.

I've been told by four different nutritionists that my diet is better than theirs and need to eat more.
Despite my healthy nearly vegetarian diet, and all the exercise I can manage, I haven't been able to loose more than ten pounds of the weight I've gain in the last 14 years. Not because I am lazy, but because my body just doesn't work properly anymore, because my hormones and metabolism are screwed up...all because I was trying to do the responsible thing at 18 years old.

Anyone who dares call me a lazy glutton had better be able to prove they are eating a cleaner diet than I am and walking at least five miles a day.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
Despite my healthy nearly vegetarian diet, and all the exercise I can manage, I haven't been able to loose more than ten pounds of the weight I've gain in the last 14 years. Not because I am lazy, but because my body just doesn't work properly anymore, because my hormones and metabolism are screwed up...all because I was trying to do the responsible thing at 18 years old.

That's one of the big and seriously hushed-up problems of modern times. Pull out the small print sheet from ten drugs of your choice and see how many of them list "weight gain" as a side issue. They unfortunately fail to add "permanent", or people would throw them far and wide. A lot of heavily overweight people whom I know had treatments with psychotropic drugs, hormone pills, neuroleptics or interferon. Some of these treatments are unavoidable and life saving. Others could be replaced by intensive psychological treatment, but that would be costly and you'd be hard pressed to find a health insurance that pays for it. Some need a lot of research, so doctors can finally stop subscribing drugs on a trial-and-error basis and check beforehand which hormonal changes their treatment may case.
Head Penguin
0 likes
I think it's wrong to generalize. Fat people aren't stupid, but some stupid people might be fat.

I think it's a cultural thing. Although I'm based in the UK, I spend a lot of time in the Czeech Republic and elsewhere in Europe. It's very obvious when I come to Prague that there a lot of overweight people, but it's not as bad as the UK. I've talked to my Dad about this. he says when he was growing up in the Czech republic, it was unusual to see fat people but he says they are all porky now lol

I think a lot of it is down to culture of exercise and diet. Also a lot of people just don't care or even think about it.

I don't think you can judge people based on their weight.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D
Different people do carry weight differently. Different sizes do cost different prices.

I'm a big girl. (6', 250#) but I watch my diet like crazy. I don't eat sweets, snacks, or "treats". I don't eat fast food, or bread. Most of my meals are salad. I run most everyday, as well as ride my mtb 6x week for 2 hrs each time. I live a very active lifestyle. By your statement my calorie consumption of less then 1200 calories/daily should mean I wear the smaller sizes. Sadly I do not.

Don't be so judgmental.

I just want to give you some support on this D. Some of the hottest and prettiest women I know are
"Thick" if that is the right word is just as capable of being beautiful/hot/
desirable as not. D is right. We all carry our weight differently.
Besides, we all carry OURSELVES differently.
I know women with what are called "hot" bodies that are so nasty, I can't get away form them fast enough.
On the other hand, the first woman I ever fell head over heels in love with
was "thick" but to this day, more years than I'll admit to you, I still feel the same way about her.
The only distinction I would be willing to grant about any woman's body is that she is healthy or she is unhealthy. I really mean that!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I couldn't have said it better myself, that was a perfect response...hits the nail on the head.

Quote by avrgblkgrl
I have never had a weight problem and in some circles I may seem a little obsessed with staying in shape.

Having said that, I think it's important to remember that the goal of the show that you were watching was
to sensationalize an extreme example of the situation in order to get viewers. Being overweight is not symbolic
of a lack of intellect or even in some cases (and I do stress some) it is not even associated with laziness. In some
circumstances, if someone is on certain medications it affects the rate of metabolism. Often it lowers it dramatically,
especially if the person already has a low metabolism. Weight loss can be attained but it is extremely difficult. Thyroid problems can also wreck havoc on a person's metabolism and grossly encourage the development of fat within the body. Some people inherit the tendency to be obese. life in general is just hard, everyone has an outlet whether they admit it or not. For some it is food. Admittedly, eating is fun and a stress reliever for many. So like with any other addiction it takes more than just the desire to lose weight, it's a whole restructuring of the mental concept of food. It's like someone being Bipolar. You can't just say you need to behave and think that's going to solve the problem.

I guess my point is to not judge.

However, I will add that in today's society, regardless of the situation,
everyone has access to information about health and weight loss. No situation
makes it impossible for you to control your weight. You do have to want to. Just,
for some it isn't just a battle, it's a full time fight to the death type of war with less soldiers
than the other side has.
~*~*~* Only the one that hurts you can make you feel better ~*~*~*
~*~*~* Only the one that inflicts pain can take it away~*~*~*

Check out my latest story: Drawn to Addy - Part 2
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As a person that is considered "thick" I find this post interesting. Personally I'm quite healthy more so than my thinner counterparts.
When one is so overweight it affects health and quality of life, you may want to change your lifestyle .
I'm not one to judge. If it suits you all the better, but quality of life should be the most important
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AudriNichols
I was accused of being anorexic and not eating enough when I was at a healthy weight and pretty much all muscle, at 5 ft. and about 125 pounds. I lead an extremely active lifestyle that included hiking, running, step aerobics, weight training and martial arts. Then, I got on Depo Provera as a form of birth control because my boyfriend at the time was too selfish and lazy to wear a condom.

I developed PCOS, within the first three months of being on birth control. Within six months I gained 80 lbs. eating pretty much just skinless chicken and salad. I exercised every single day for at least two hours. Within a year I developed Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and didn't know it until I literally collapsed in sheer exhaustion after doing five minutes of an exercise video. I couldn't even get my muscles to move enough to get up off the floor for two hours.

I've struggled for the last 14 YEARS to get my weight back to normal, since I got sick. I'm still sick, but I do what I can to exercise and I eat better than most people do. No coffee, sugary fruit juices, or soda. No energy drinks either. I drink nothing but water and herbal tea with honey.

Breakfast:
1 Cup Steel cut oatmeal with diced apple (real apple) and cinnamon, and half an orange.
OR
2 Egg Omelette, with spinach, red, green and orange bell pepper, mushroom, onion and 1 oz. of shredded cheese.
1 Slice of 12 Grain wheat toast.

Snack:
A Yogurt with Chia Seeds
OR a banana

Lunch:
Homemade Loaded Veggie Soup (Red Beans and 8 different Veggies) and a Turkey Pita with Tomatoes, Avocado and Sprouts
Or
A Grilled Chicken Salad and Whatever leftover dinner from the night before.

Snack:
A Raw Veggie Plate: Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Cucumber, Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Green Beans, and a string cheese.

Dinner:
Grilled Herb Chicken/Yam or Red Potatoes/Spinach Salad
Or
Beef Veggie Stir Fry with 1/2 cup of cooked Rice
Or
Grilled Salmon with Lemon and Dill, Steamed Rice and Broccoli

I rarely eat dessert, If I do it's a yogurt I put in the freezer
Or
A Frozen Berry Smoothie, with a splash of almond milk.

I use coconut oil instead of butter or oil.
Honey instead of sugar.
I don't eat pizza, pasta, or white bread.
I don't eat fast food, french fries or other junk food.
I don't eat crackers, cookies, chips, candy or chocolate.
I don't eat any pre-packaged, processed or frozen meals.
I don't use condiments accept stir fry sauce, and I make my own salad dressing.

The most processed thing I eat is my yogurt and string cheese, which I only eat because I refuse to drink milk and I need the calcium.

I've been told by four different nutritionists that my diet is better than theirs and need to eat more.

Anyone who dares call me a lazy glutton had better be able to prove they are eating a cleaner diet than I am and walking at least five miles a day.

I can identify with this, I have pcos which makes weight gain very very difficult and people assume that the weight gain is down to laziness and greed, I eat healthily, I exercise but the weight won't come off unless I go to drastic measures which puts my health at risk. I'd love to be thin but I will never ever get my size 6 figure back.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by elizabethblack

This was very well thought out and expressed. I just wanted to add that I have a real concern about our committment to mental health here in the United States. The need is massive and covers mental, emotional and all sorts of things: mass shootings, bulimia, addictions of all sorts (and the list is long). We need to be investing money into research with a sense of urgency; mental health destroys a lot of families just like physical health. Right now, if you have a loved one that needs help with an addiciton good luck. There is no infrastructure, not enough beds, not enough mental health experts, and not enough money for what little help we do have. Insurance companies, although mandated under the affordable care act to bring parity between physical and mental health - don't.

(60 Minutes segment)

This thread on morbid obesity is just one more example of how far we need to go to help people like this.

These both make the points I wanted to, only far more succinctly.

In the UK mental and physical health are dealt with completely separately and it's issues such as obesity that show just how much this needs to change.