Login

Word 2016 question

last reply
10 replies
3.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
Hello, can some kind soul answer a question for me. I have been using MS Word 2010 for years and now considering if I should upgrade to Word 2016 standalone. (I have no need for all that full Office crap, just a good word processor)
Aside from offering two prices for the apparently the same thing, $129 and $79, Microsoft are masters at never giving a straight answer. They say their standalone MS Word 2016 Home and Student, is not for ‘commercial’ use. How silly is that if you are a published writer.
Also, some reviews are saying it won’t take add-ons, well I use Grammarly, does that mean it won’t work?

A bit lost here, anyone have some advice?

Thanks, Helen

( I have a Win 10 system )
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
I would not bother with the upgrade. They went from menus to a "ribbon" of commands between these two versions I think, but the functionality didn't change much, it's mostly cosmetic. They are saying that there's no more support for Word 2010 after 2020, but when is the last time you had to upgrade Word, or call for support? If you are happy with Word 2010, I say stick with it.
Candyman
@AuntieHelen : I'm with Verbal on this - unless you HAVE to upgrade, don't. I have Word 2016 (wish I had been given a choice - it came with my laptop.) and Grammarly works fine.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Sensual Hobgoblin
If you are looking for a good FREE replacement, I recommend LibreOffice. It is a free product that has been around for many years. It has been developed by many who freely contribute their time and skill. Check out this site to download------ https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ I recommend version 6.0.6 It is their most recent stable version for "conservative" computer folks. If you are a daring whiz you could go for the 6.1.1 version but it will undoubtedly have some bugs to be worked out.

Kee

I just published a new story, https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/pussy-time-2 It's a Flash with a humorous twist and, of course, hot sex. So quick, fun read. Hope you enjoy!

Then there's https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/naked-and-afraid A wife is home alone when two criminals break in to rob her. She's afraid and that's when it gets interesting A super story full of great sex, with a BDSM slant, that will hold your interest.

If you enjoy either, please comment. My ego needs a boost, ha! Thanks.

Writius Eroticus
I'd still use Word 2003 if I could. Seriously, that was the last time they updated it for usability and functionality without feeling the need to do so for commercial purposes just to be seen to be making "improvements". The style manager worked perfectly in 2003 and the menus were (mostly) laid out logically and were a breeze to use as long as you had them in expanded view all the time.

I've been using Word 2016 at the behest of the company at which I work for 18 months now and I still maintain the ribbon is a usability nightmare. And the style manager - something I use every day - is a pain to work with.

Stick with what you know if you can; it's faster for productivity.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Quote by Kee
If you are looking for a good FREE replacement, I recommend LibreOffice. It is a free product that has been around for many years. It has been developed by many who freely contribute their time and skill. Check out this site to download------ https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ I recommend version 6.0.6 It is their most recent stable version for "conservative" computer folks. If you are a daring whiz you could go for the 6.1.1 version but it will undoubtedly have some bugs to be worked out.

Kee

I was just checking out LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice for a thread on another board and discovered that OpenOffice lets you install the components individually. So, if all you need is a word processor, you can just install OpenOffice Write and not bother with the other products in the suite. Something to consider.

On the downside, I'm using OpenOffice Write for a story right now and I'm finding it feels a bit dated and doesn't play well with the current Windows interface. For instance, it doesn't seem to let you right click the taskbar shortcut to see a list of recent files like most Windows programs have been able to do since the feature was introduced in Windows 7.
As to the original question, there's nothing compelling in Word 2016 over Word 2010 as far as being a writer. In fact, I don't think Word 2016 is a measurable improvement over Word 2003 for just bashing out a story. It's great in a corporate environment where you're doing collaborative work with a team and that sort of thing, but I would argue that any word processor made since the advent of DOS is probably good enough for just writing a story. That's why I'm looking at OpenOffice and LibreOffice. MS Office seems to be overkill for most of what I do outside of work.
Old Bag Of Bones
As a 40+ year veteran of the IT world, I can tell you that seeing the evolution of all the word processing tools have been about the same. I use MS Office 365 but run all my docs through as a Word 97-2003 format. You can choose to revert to the older styles in Office when you set it up. I agree that the newer versions tend to work well for office environments where there are teams working on something.

When I write stories I write them in Word saved as 2003 and then run it through the Grammarly filters for mistakes and suggestions then back into word for the Read Aloud function to hear the flow and catch any missing mistakes in pronunciation. It seems to help a great deal.

The free Open Office or Libre will do the same for typing and saving as a word doc but not sure how well Grammarly works with it or if the Read Aloud is as good.

Just my thoughts.

Remember to check out a few of my stories. You can find them here.

https://www.lushstories.com/profile/Jimwillhavefun/stories

For those who like a change and prefer something a little more PG, check out my stories on Storiespace.
https://www.storiesspace.com/profile/Jimwillhavefun/stories

Rookie Scribe
WOW - Thank you all for some beautiful on-target responses. I shall keep using my Word 2010 and to hell with the upgrade. I need a stable work-horse product, and from all of your remarks - I already have it. ! THANK YOU ALL
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
Quote by Kee

Kee

Yeah, I use LibreOffice for home use and have no complaints. It plays well with all versions of Word.

I use Office 365 at work because they make me (and because I teach certain aspects of it as part of my job).
Rookie Scribe
Hi,
I would go with the latest version of Libre Office. You can download and install it on WIN10 with no problem. It is designed to work on Linux, Windows or a Mac.