Windows XP.

last reply
16 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Site administrator
0 likes
I thought I would post this since I went round to my ex's last week, to try and help her sort her desktop out that she had got into a mess, and I found that she was running the Windows XP operating system (O/S). Microsoft stopped supporting that software (end of life) in April and so you a) will no longer get any updates or fixes for that and b) inevitably over time you will find that websites you use will also stop support for their software from devices using that obsolete O/S.

I don’t believe there is a migration option/path to Windows 7 or above and thus it’s a case of purchasing the latest O/S and a desktop/laptop rebuild (if the specification of the hardware is sufficient).
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I think anyone who is looking to move on from XP but doesn't want to splash the cash on the new Windows OS should take a look at Linux Mint.

It looks, acts and feels like XP, but it's faster, more secure, and totally free. You can use Firefox or Chrome for web browsing, Libre Office as a Microsoft Office alternative, and can even game on it using services such as Steam.

There is a small learning curve when you first start using it, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-linux-mint-is-a-worthwhile-windows-xp-replacement-7000027858/
0 likes
Seconding Liz's post. If you want to get off XP without breaking the bank, a good Linux build would be an option. I have not used Mint myself but hear good things about it. If I didn't live in an MS universe at work, I might consider Linux for home use myself but it's easier to keep using the same stuff in both places and my wife needs MS Office on our home computers (she use Excel and Access in courses she teaches).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What do Lushies think of Windows 8.1 in lieu of 7.
I will have to update and 8.1 has been recommended.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy

It's fine I have it on all my computers here at home. You can configure w8.1 very easily to login directly to desktop mode rather than the front screen which you normally see. I also do this for people at work so they don't really notice a difference.
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Personally, I hate Win8. Seems they just did too much to it compared to Win7. Why does Microsoft do that? They did it with Office as well. I would just install Win7, upgrade the ram. Its likely the CPU will be ok, but adding extra ram will help. How old is this computer anyway?
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy

I'm still sticking with 7. 8.1 still hasn't addressed all the problems with 8 though it was an improvement over the first release with 8. 9 is looking promising but we don't have a timeline yet (preview release is coming soon, though). As Sydney suggests, my personal inclination is to stick with 7 until I see how 9 turns out but if you really do want 8, then try it out if you can. It does behave rather differently from 7 and earlier and that's what causes a lot of the problems.

PS. MS is getting very bad for this "totally redo the interface and screw what the users think" thing. I admin their CRM product at work and upgrading to the latest version is proving horrifically painful because of a massive overhaul they did on the interface.
Lurker
0 likes
I 3rd Liz's Mint(cin) suggestion! It's very similar to windows 7, and I prefer the desktop to most other "starter" Linux distros. Ubuntu(whatever number we're at there) is also a great option!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
has anybody run into canon 2050p print driver problems with window 7 .I can't find a driver that will work
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by rickp26
has anybody run into canon 2050p print driver problems with window 7 .I can't find a driver that will work

Cant you use the Canon website to either find a suitable download or send in a query? Its not a current model from what I can see .. perhaps its not supported beyond XP?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
We are still using a stripped-down W-XP as the OS on our Citrix-Server inter-office network that my dad had installed years ago before David and I took over the company, but it's hopelessly outdated. Personally, I'm a Mac girl, but since my boyfriend will no doubt want to stick with Windows for our office network, many thanks to Liz for the Linux Mint recommendation as an alternative!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Took me a while to get used to Vista/7 after I moved up from XP, but now I can't go back to it. As for Mint, I've heard a lot of people recommend it, and as long as your not a huge gamer it might be the way to go.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Damn ! I'm locked .. fairwell RIP my windows XP

I guess I'll pick windows 8 this time sighs
Lurker
0 likes
I still run good ol' XP on my laptop. I have Windows 7 on my desktop though, I like both but I guess I'll have to say goodbye to XP someday.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
Microsoft stopped supporting that software (end of life) in April and so you a) will no longer get any updates or fixes for that and b) inevitably over time you will find that websites you use will also stop support for their software from devices using that obsolete O/S.

Websites don't really mind what OS you run, only the browser matters to them. Internet Explorer won't go any further than version 8 on XP, but the latest Firefox still runs on XP and so does Chrome (at least until the end of this year).

But... people really should not go online with a Windows XP machine anymore. At one point you will get screwed by some malware that expoits a known security hole that will not be patched anymore.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Hi,

Windows XP may be dead, but not really! It is used in many Epos (Cash register) Systems across the word, so Microsoft have to give extra support to those_ until 2019!!.

There is a fix, and I have used it with great success! You simply create a file (website details to follow) , double click on it, and then your XP system magically becomes a till system with full updates!

XP rocks still ;-)

Oh the website is here:-

I hope it works for you guys?

Lloyd
0 likes
Quote by lloyd_oxton
Hi,

Windows XP may be dead, but not really! It is used in many Epos (Cash register) Systems across the word, so Microsoft have to give extra support to those_ until 2019!!.

There is a fix, and I have used it with great success! You simply create a file (website details to follow) , double click on it, and then your XP system magically becomes a till system with full updates!

XP rocks still ;-)

Oh the website is here:-

I hope it works for you guys?

Lloyd

There's some other specialty systems that are still getting support but, honestly, a new laptop running either Windows 7 or 8.1 can be had for $500 CAD or less here in the Great White North so I'd say just bite the bullet and replace that old warhorse. And all current 7 and 8.1 systems will be entitled to a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out, so you'll be current for at least one more generation.
Lurker
0 likes
WinXP is the best operating system that Microsoft has ever created.

It's been serving me good and been using it on multiple computers since it's release in 2001.

Your question, "How have you been able to put WinXP on several computers? Microsoft
licenses the WinXP Professional Edition operating system to only one computer. After
installation, it must be activated by contacting Microsoft. Is there a way around that?"

Answer, "Copy and paste the script below to a text file and name it ActivateWinXP.reg
Install WinXp on the computer of your choice. After successful installation of WinXP, click
on the script file below from a Floppy/CD/DVD. It will activate your copy of WinXP.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents]
"OOBETimer"=hex:ff,d5,71,d6,8b,6a,8d,6f,d5,33,93,fd
"LastWPAEventLogged"=hex:d5,07,05,00,06,00,07,00,0f,00,38,00,24,00,fd,02

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentBuild"="1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)"
"InstallDate"=dword:427cdd95
"ProductId"=" 577-45389"
"DigitalProductId"=hex:a4,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,36,39,38,33,31,2d,36,34,30,2d,\
31,37,38,30,35,37,37,2d,34,35,33,38,39,00,5a,00,00,00,41,32,32,2d,30,30,30,\
30,31,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0d,04,89,b2,15,1b,c4,ee,62,4f,e6,64,6f,01,00,\
00,00,00,00,27,ed,85,43,a2,20,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\