Skincare 101

last reply
112 replies
15.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
Are any facial scrubs better than others. I like something really gritty or it doesn't feel like it does any good. I've always just bought whatever is the best price. My wife fusses at me about that. So is there any real difference?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub. It's really good to keep away acne, and makes your face super smooth. It's not too expensive either.

If you really want to save money, and have a lot of grit, home made scrubs might be the way to go.

It really depends on what you want it for as well. ( Acne, Dry Skin, Cleanser, etc.)
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Are any facial scrubs better than others. I like something really gritty or it doesn't feel like it does any good. I've always just bought whatever is the best price. My wife fusses at me about that. So is there any real difference?

Buz, I'm pretty sure they made this just for you!

Bull Dog actually gets some good reviews in Men's Health and other men's blog-ezines. The scrub has the little gritty beads that you'll probably like.

As well - this Kyoku scrub gets rave reviews and is a best-seller.

I think the gritty scrubs are ok for guys because your skin is tougher than females. If you're sensitive though, I would go for the enzyme peel exfoliators (this is what I use). It less harsh and doesn't strip the skin. As well - once a week exfoliating masks are great for leaving skin baby soft. Not many guys are into masks though.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I've used a few facial scrubs in the past and I was never all that hyped about them. I mean, the gritty ones rely on physical abrasion to exfoliate the skin; you might as well use a simple washcloth for that. I do use a washcloth to exfoliate my hips and my pubis, actually.

I mentioned this quite a few times on these forums, but I use Acne.org AHA+ to exfoliate my face:

I much prefer to rely on chemical exfoliation, it's in fact a lot less irritating. It gives me wonderful results: I've never had any redness patches and such. I use it twice a week on my face at full strength, then leave it on during the whole night and wash it in the morning. It's not really a 'mask' per se, though it acts similarly. My skin is very soft with this product, plus Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) are considered to be one of the most effective products for anti-aging, along with Retinol and Vitamin C. All the other 'miracle ingredients' have mixed results according to the scientific community (peptides, coenzyme Q10, etc.): http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/

I highly recommend this product. The big bottle of 16 oz. only costs me about $30 and lasts me quite a few months. Plus, all the ingredients are non-comedogenic since this product is meant for people who suffer from acne; exfoliation helps for acne, though you really don't need to have acne to benefit from this product. It also contains Vitamin E and Licochalcone (which soothes the skin). It's not really a 'fancy' or 'appealing' product, though contrarily to plenty of other cosmetic products you can be damn assured that it gives results.

A lot of these masks and scrubs simply exist to make you 'feel good'. Plenty of scrubs contain Menthyl Lactate which cools the skin, just so that customers will say "My god! I really feel fresh after using this product, it really must be effective!", when in fact the whole product does little else than just feeling nice.

You kinda need to have some expectations when using masks and scrubs: which benefit(s) are you seeking exactly? Some masks might contain effective ingredients (the Pumpkin Enzyme Exfoliator that Dancing_Doll mentioned actually contains AHA according to the picture she posted), but you have to know which ones they are and how they'll affect/improve your skin. Otherwise, you'll just waste your time/money while seeing very few improvements.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I'll try these out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Has anyone tried using a battery operated cleansers? I'm think of buying one that has the dermabrasion brushes and massager pads, now that I'm 40 I want to step up my skin care routine
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by oohlala74
Has anyone tried using a battery operated cleansers? I'm think of buying one that has the dermabrasion brushes and massager pads, now that I'm 40 I want to step up my skin care routine

Funny you mention that - I was almost going to start a new thread just on those, because I was wondering if they're all that as well.

I haven't tried any of the them - the supposedly holy grail Clarisonic, or the Forreo line. I have used a manual face brush off/on at times, but I find that it 'over-exfoliates' my sensitive skin and then I end up with raw looking skin which eventually break-outs a bit. Or maybe I'm just being over-zealous with it.

For as many "omg, Clarisonic changed my life" testimonials, apparently there's a growing body of people turning up at their Dermatologists after using Clarisonic because it 'wrecked their skin' and caused thin, peely skin and acne flares etc. Now - maybe these people are using it too often or too intensively, but yeah... that's what's kept me on the fence about investing in one. I use good exfoliators and enzyme peels now and my skin is smooth and looks good - I'm afraid of possibly messing that up.

And then I wonder - does it really make that much of a difference if you already use a good cleanser and exfoliating products? They're a pricey investment.

I read on a skincare blog where a few people have said that they have Clarisonics but prefer this basic silicone cleansing pad thing on Sephora and no longer use their Clarisonics. I haven't picked one up yet, but I was surprised that it seems to get a lot of love.

I'm curious what others have to say on the topic as well!
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
With those battery operated cleansers, you really have to be careful how you use it and how often.

I have a Clarisonic, but I don't use it everyday. Only about once or twice a week and sporadically when I need to deep clean. I bought it because of the hype, but it honestly does no more than what you can do with your hands, just in a shorter amount of time. It's great for spot cleaning and stimulation when your skin needs a pick-me-up.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Clarisonic, but if I were to rank all of my skincare products in order of importance, it'd be at the lower end of the totem pole.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Has anyone tried the Glamglow Cleansers?

I broke down after trying a sample of Thirstycleanse and bought the bottle and omg - it's true love. My favourite cleanser ever. It has this really nice subtle coconut water scent (same as the mask) and it cleans so well but still hydrates and somehow soothes skin at the same time.

I ordered Youthcleanse over the weekend to try because it's my favourite Glamglow mask. It's supposed to be exfoliating as well - so I don't think I'll be using it every day. I'd love to try the other two, but I've heard their corresponding cleanser to the white-jar mask (Supercleanse) is pretty intense and can be a little drying.

I love this youtube video - purely because the girl's voice is so bubblegum and fun. Of course, now I'll have to wait for SereneProdigy to read this and shatter my high by telling me that he was able to concoct the exact same cleanser from raw materials and organic compounds he bought wholesale for just pennies a pump and I totally just wasted $40.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I know this might be pretty basic, but I actually LOVE Lush products and how they work on my skin. And their certified organic and vegan products make me feel better using them too! heart
A couple of my favourite products from them are a). Grease Lightening: it's an acne product that works ideally under makeup and also helps remove the shiny look from those (such as me) with oily skin, and b). Lovely Jubblies: it's a boob cream that tightens your skin to make the girls look perkier ? I also use it on places I feel my skin could be tightened (like my unintentional double chin LOL). But yeah their stuff looks great and I'm always V impressed with the results.
Smell good, feel good!!
Chuckanator
0 likes
I'm a guy that has just started considering my skin. I guess its never too late. I love sports and am in the sun and ocean constantly. Lately I have been religious in putting on sunscreen and use a liquid soap and moisturizer in the shower. Plus I see a dermatologist twice a year.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by littleevs
I know this might be pretty basic, but I actually LOVE Lush products and how they work on my skin. And their certified organic and vegan products make me feel better using them too! heart
A couple of my favourite products from them are a). Grease Lightening: it's an acne product that works ideally under makeup and also helps remove the shiny look from those (such as me) with oily skin, and b). Lovely Jubblies: it's a boob cream that tightens your skin to make the girls look perkier ? I also use it on places I feel my skin could be tightened (like my unintentional double chin LOL). But yeah their stuff looks great and I'm always V impressed with the results.
Smell good, feel good!!

Snow Fairy. It's seasonal, so i stock up every winter so i have it for year around. Lush has always had a place in our shower. It's not super high end, but it is one of my favs.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Snow Fairy. It's seasonal, so i stock up every winter so i have it for year around. Lush has always had a place in our shower. It's not super high end, but it is one of my favs.

I'm buying this next x-mas so that I can smell like Sprite.

And think of her in the shower.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I'm buying this next x-mas so that I can smell like Sprite.

And think of her in the shower.

I knew it. whenever you feel dirty, you think of me.

serious note, i think this would smell good on you - it's bubble gummy, kind of smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I knew it. whenever you feel dirty, you think of me.

serious note, i think this would smell good on you - it's bubble gummy, kind of smile

Oh - I love bubblegum and candy smells... I'm down!

And yeah.. my shower has always been a bit of a daydreaming bubble for me. No doubt that sudsing up with Rachel, the Lush Snow Fairy, would be fun. ;)
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Haven't had time to post about it, but I've revamped my skin care regimen over the past year and a half or so. I still use store-bought cleansers on a daily/nightly basis (Aveeno, Shea Moisture, and St. Ives are among my favorite brands), but I'm still very much into DIY and buying homemade products when it comes to skin care.

Every couple of weeks or so, I use calcium bentonite clay and raw apple cider vinegar to make a mask. It's a really intense mask (very similar to GlamGlow's SuperMud), and it works wonders.

Here's the clay:

It comes in the form of a super fine powder. Per the instructions, I use one part clay to one part raw apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I switch out the cider with rose water or aloe juice or gel, depending on what I feel my skin needs.

Prior to using the mask, I cleanse my skin as I normally would, but I skip the toner and moisturizer and go straight to the mask. I leave it on for 15 minutes, and immediately follow up with a sheet mask:

There are tons of brands to choose from, and they all essentially do the same thing, which is hydrate the skin. Some are firming, some are brightening, some or nourishing, but they're all hydrating. I like to use this as a follow up to the calcium bentonite clay mask because it pulls everything from the skin, including moisture, so it needs to be replenished. After that, I follow up with my favorite toner, which is Thayers brand witch hazel:

I like it because it's alcohol free and not at all harsh, and you can get it with aloe, cucumber, lavender, rose petal, etc.

After the toner, I follow up with a moisturizer, usually one of the aforementioned brands, but sometimes homemade or I just use oil.

While I only use the clay mask once every couple of weeks, I do a sheet mask about 3-4 times a week, following the same process (cleanse, sheet mask, toner, moisturizer).

Also, I ditched my Clarisonic. I used to rave about it, but I couldn't tolerate it anymore, not even when I used the sensitive brush head. I didn't discover this until I went a while without buying replacement brush heads because it just always slipped my mind, so I just used my hands. When I finally got around to buying replacement brush heads, my skin felt really agitated after using the Clarisonic, so I had to stop using it.

However, I missed the physical stimulation that the vibrations from the Clarisonic provided to my skin, and I knew about silicone electronic cleansers, so I did my research and settled for the Foreo LUNA:

It's easy to keep clean because of the silicone, and I don't have to worry about replacement heads. Also, it's timed, so you stimulate your skin evenly and don't have to worry about spending too much time on one part of your face. If anyone's interested, it retails for $200 or more depending on when/where you get it. So if the price is too steep, there's a cheaper knock-off version on Amazon that you can get anywhere from $14-$30, more or less. I watched a comparison video on Youtube, and the results were more or less the same. But as with any knock-off version of anything, proceed with caution.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Dani

O ges, we peace en et an sell to da gringos.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Hey Buz,

If you're still looking for a good exfoliator, I would recommend this one (Peter Thomas Roth's FirmX Peeling Gel). It's been in my arsenal for the past two years and I like it enough that I've repurchased it (although a tube literally lasts forever).

I've used both the gritty physical exfoliators (many, many brands from a harder grit to fine microdermabrasion style), and this is one of my faves. It goes on like a gel and then you just rub in small circles all over your face and this stuff balls up and takes dead skin cells with it. It works really well at giving you a fresh baby-smooth face without tearing at your skin or causing red or dry patches. I considered whether it was just the product balling up and not affecting the skin, but there's a huge difference if you go over your skin a second time or use it on skin that you don't typically exfoliate. It almost gives you the feel/look of a quick facial peel, but it only takes a minute or two. It's great for on-the-go when you don't have time to mess around with time-consuming masks or peels. This is truly one of my favourites.

If you're looking for something with a heavier grit, you can look into Ole Henriksen's walnut scrub (but on some level, I feel like it's pretty similar to St Ives drugstore apricot scrub, so it's not really worth the extra $). And if you want a really awesome fine-grain style polish scrub, check out Dr Brandt's Microdermabrasion Scrub. Laura Mercier also has a nice face polish that falls in between large and fine grain but has a more creamy texture, so it's not as harsh.
Lurker
0 likes
I wash my face twice a day with Simple sensitive skin face wash. I do have sensitive skin and Simple is the best face wash I have ever used. 1-2 times a week a use mad mask exfoliant made by pur-lisse and it is amazing. I use Jeergens Ultra Healing after every face wash. Typically I pat my face with a damp rag before putting lotion on so my skin can really lock in the moisture. I do some kind of moist mask once a week- I buy them from Sephora. I haven't made any DIY things yet but I really plan on it!
0 likes
I have such sensitive skin and it seems to get more sensitive every day. So, here's my plug for Patricia Wexler and her skin-care system.

This is just the moisturizer and some people get a flush from it, but for me, it just makes my pores disappear. You get it through Bath and Body Works, of all places. It's available on Amazon, too.
0 likes
Quote by kiera
I use Johnson's baby lotion

Hi Ms B

Hi Kiera!

I love the smell of baby oil!
The Goddess
0 likes
Coconut Oil!

His GODDESS 💋💋💋💋💋💋

Every second of every day. 💕💝