Login

Skincare 101

last reply
112 replies
15.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012

Native Americans. You disrespectful fuck.

Notice how she doesn't dispute her ignorance. Only my semantics.

Poor fool.
Dumbass.
Child.
Prepubescent pretard.
You disrespectful fuck.
Poor fool.

I'm so enjoying this fight so far.
This is kind of skincare related in that it's good for your skin to avoid the sun and tan beds.

I recently tried this self-tanner and I think it's the best I've tried so far. The colour you get is sooo natural and the system is the best I've seen so far. I find lotions and mousses rather messy and greasy and streaky but this is a liquid... you just spray it onto this mitt that comes in the kit and then buff it onto your skin (good for body and face). It's so quick and effortless. No greasy after-affects, no staining on clothes/sheets and it actually smells pretty good too (ie. you can totally go in public if you had to and not fear you will stink like self-tanner). I put it on at night and by my morning shower I have a sun-kissed glow. Really cool system - I hate the ones that feel like you've coated your skin with cream - this just buffs the colour right in as you rub and I feel like you can control the colour more too and make it look more natural. It's buildable colour but just once a week will keep a nice healthy glow to the skin. If I don't do stuff like this, by December I will look death-bed white because I'm verrry pale naturally - but not in that pretty porcelain-white skin way. I like to at least stay flesh-coloured. silly

It's called 'Flawless' by Fake Bake.

Quote by Dancing_Doll
This is kind of skincare related in that it's good for your skin to avoid the sun and tan beds.

Hey, I was thinking about starting a thread about sunless tanning. I have a pale skin like you, and like to keep a subtle glow in the winter to look healthier and hide some flaws (dark circles, etc).

Personally I use Banana Boat Self Tanning Lotion, and mix it about 50/50 with a moisturizer cream to obtain just a subtle glow. I use it every 3 days or so (2x/week) ; I apply it before going to bed and wash it off in the morning. I only use it for my face. I tried applying it to my whole body before, but it was too much trouble for what it was worth.

I read excellent reviews about Fake Bake, but Banana Boat Self Tanning Lotion is very good too and also rated amongst the best for a cheaper alternative (no streaks, non-greasy, non-comedogenic, etc). I used to buy them in packs of 3 from Amazon, for around $25.

PS: The active ingredient in sunless tanning products, DHA (dihydroxyacetone), has a limited shelf-life of around 7-8 months before it loses its effectiveness. I bought them in bulk before and had to throw some away because of that.
Quote by SereneProdigy

Hey, I was thinking about starting a thread about sunless tanning. I have a pale skin like you, and like to keep a subtle glow in the winter to look healthier and hide some flaws (dark circles, etc).

Personally I use Banana Boat Self Tanning Lotion, and mix it about 50/50 with a moisturizer cream to obtain just a subtle glow. I use it every 3 days or so (2x/week) ; I apply it before going to bed and wash it off in the morning. I only use it for my face. I tried applying it to my whole body before, but it was too much trouble for what it was worth.

I read excellent reviews about Fake Bake, but Banana Boat Self Tanning Lotion is very good too and also rated amongst the best for a cheaper alternative (no streaks, non-greasy, non-comedogenic, etc). I used to buy them in packs of 3 from Amazon, for around $25.

PS: The active ingredient in sunless tanning products, DHA (dihydroxyacetone), has a limited shelf-life of around 7-8 months before it looses its effectiveness. I bought them in bulk before and had to throw some away because of that.

Yeah, the Fake Bake said you have to use it within 10 months. I think it's more than enough to last me through til spring. I haven't tried Banana Boat but I have tried one of those 'slow-tint' lotions (can't remember the brand but it gets lots of commercials) but I thought the smell was off-putting and I didn't think there much colour pay-off. Plus I didn't think the lotion itself was very hydrating or pleasant to use.

The nice thing about Flawless is that it's very concentrated so you just need a little spritz on the mitt and you can cover an entire arm or leg, no problem, just by lightly 'buffing' it in vs a lotion that you have to smooth on for total coverage and work into the skin and then worry about line demarcations. With the mitt, as it starts to dry out, its easier to blend into your regular skin-tone - especially if you just want something like a light colour on the tops of the arms where the sun would naturally hit without doing the underside. It runs $29 so not too bad in price, but they also have travel sized bottles for $16 if someone just wanted to try it out. For me, I think it would be hard to improve on this formulation based on all the stuff I've tried in the past.
Quote by Dancing_Doll

It's called 'Flawless' by Fake Bake.

I love, love, love this stuff. Tanning doesn't come easy for me. You would think it would, being that I'm biracial and such. But I'm actually quite pale. It's hard for me to tan, and when I do, it's hard for me to tan evenly. My face tans just fine with like zero effort, but the rest of me is another thing entirely. A friend of mine told me about this stuff a while back. I have an aversion to self-tanners, but I gave it a try. It was amazing, and perfect for my skin tone. It gave me this really rich, healthy, NATURAL looking glow immediately...without making me a really cheesy bronze-ish color like most self-tanners do. I think it really played up the melanin in my skin, so that was a plus for me.

And my skin is extra temperamental, but it didn't have any negative effects on it.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Quote by Dancing_Doll

Yeah, the Fake Bake said you have to use it within 10 months. I think it's more than enough to last me through til spring. I haven't tried Banana Boat but I have tried one of those 'slow-tint' lotions (can't remember the brand but it gets lots of commercials) but I thought the smell was off-putting and I didn't think there much colour pay-off. Plus I didn't think the lotion itself was very hydrating or pleasant to use. (...)

I might check it out, though I still have like 2-3 tubes of Banana Boat left and it works just perfectly. Do you apply it to your full body? And if so, how many coats does one tube last?

I also tried different brands before settling for Banana Boat (some were awful, eg. Jergens). I actually did some intensive research on the web, and Banana Boat was highly praised by many reviewers (sites like ulta.com or drugstore.com have 250+ reviews, and the rating is about 4.5/5). I have to order it online because it's not available where I live. It's just the perfect texture between thick/liquidy and applies very smoothly ; it also dries fast (around 30 min).

It's also not a gradual tanner (or slow-tint) ; it gives a nice tan color (non-orange) with just one application, and lasts up to 4-7 days. This is why I dilute it 50/50 with a moisturizer because I only want a subtle glow on my face, not a full-tan.

When I tried applying it to my full body (at full strength), I wasn't even that careful about applying it evenly and never had any streaks or unevenness. The only thing I had to be careful about were 'problematic' areas (elbows, knees, ankles) that absorb more product and tend to turn out darker ; this is a common problem with all sunless tanners though, and can be avoided by applying a normal moisturizer to those areas before the sunless tanner. I don't apply it to my whole body anymore though... that was a bit pointless.

But I also know that FakeBake is pretty much the gold-standard of sunless tanners. I'm just promoting Banana Boat for other people reading this thread who'd like to try a cheaper alternative.
One last note : to really get the most out of sunless tanners, you should exfoliate before their use. If you don't exfoliate, the sunless tanner will wear off more rapidly and unevenly as the skin will 'flake' during the week (that's just a natural process really, but it gets more apparent with a sunless tanner).

There it goes again... I feel totally gay.
You don't need to spend a lot of money on skincare. No preservatives. No chems. Drink water, eat well, exercise...sleep. I have tried EVERYTHING, out of curiosity, but what works are the simple things. I mix my own skin care products, I keep them in the fridge. Chemicals are not good for you. The skin is an organ so what you put on it absorbs into your body. My best line has been Juice Beauty. I am a skeptic and they work. Personally, I use raw shea butter, olive oil, Vit E and I take my Omega oils. I am 28 and I get carded to the point I find it annoying Lol.
iv,e used machinery grease all my life wow my hands are soft and no wrinkles,damn should of used it on my face and penis..i,d still look 20 if I did instead of 59
What do you people use to get rid of an unsightly zit that just appeared in the morning?

My personal tip : tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is 100% natural and is extracted from trees in Australia. It has antiseptic properties and can be used for many purposes (including acne). Personally, I've used some natural products in the past without much success, but tea tree oil has been very effective for me to treat occasional zits.

With this, I've seen some small zits disappear in a matter of only a few hours. It also works overnight for the bigger bulging zits that seem stuck under the skin.

What you want to use is 100% pure tea tree oil (undiluted). You can generally buy a small bottle at your local pharmacy for around $8-10. Simply put a drop or two on your index, and dab on your zit. Pure tea tree oil is quite strong and potent, but it doesn't sting or burn either. It can cause a slight redness for about 30 minutes though (it disappears rapidly), so use it accordingly.

Highly recommended by Mr. Prodigy...

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/tea-tree-oil-melaleuca-alternifolia-topic-overview

Quote by SereneProdigy
What do you people use to get rid of an unsightly zit that just appeared in the morning?

My personal tip : tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is 100% natural and is extracted from trees in Australia. It has antiseptic properties and can be used for many purposes (including acne). Personally, I've used some natural products in the past without much success, but tea tree oil has been very effective for me to treat occasional zits.

With this, I've seen some small zits disappear in a matter of only a few hours. It also works overnight for the bigger bulging zits that seem stuck under the skin.

What you want to use is 100% pure tea tree oil. You can generally buy a small bottle at your local pharmacy for around $8-10. Only dab a drop or two on your index, and apply on your zit. Pure tea tree oil is quite strong and potent, but it doesn't sting or burn either. It can cause a slight redness for about 30 minutes though (it disappears rapidly), so use it accordingly.

Highly recommended by Mr. Prodigy...

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/tea-tree-oil-melaleuca-alternifolia-topic-overview

I do not get zits(too dry) but my friends swear by this. Natural is better in my thinking.
I have weird skin. It can be really oily and really dry all in one. I used biore stuff from the drugstore for quite a few years, but I've been using The Body Shop tea tree oil line lately.

I use the cleanser, scrub and toner. I think that they work pretty good for my skin because they don't dry it out too much. The only down side is the price and size. The bottles are fairly small and they aren't cheap. The cleanser doesn't soap up too much, but overall I do like them and I think they keep my face from breaking out, which is my biggest concern.

I use this Burt's Bees natural tea tree oil and willow-bark blemish stick if I get a zit. It works really fast.

For moisturizer I have always used Clinique Gel. The lotion is too greasy for me. This is my favorite one and it works great.

The tea tree oil sounds great! I've used the Proactiv mask to dab on if I get the odd breakout, but it really only works for overnight. Great product but it's not something you can go out in public with. I've heard white toothpaste works as well but have never tried it.
Quote by Dancing_Doll
The tea tree oil sounds great! I've used the Proactiv mask to dab on if I get the odd breakout, but it really only works for overnight. Great product but it's not something you can go out in public with. I've heard white toothpaste works as well but have never tried it.

You can use tea tree oil at different concentrations depending on the purpose. For single pimples that just appear randomly, just dab with a 100% concentration as I mentioned. The cleanser that BlondeBookworm posted is probably around 10-20%, which is more efficient as a preventive treatment or for blackheads. I tried a 20% solution on my back before, and the results were not that great. I guess my problem there had more to do with oil production/clogging than bacterial infection. I now use AHA (alpha hydroxy acids), and it helps since it sheds some skin and prevents pores from getting clogged.

Toothpaste is not really effective in my opinion. It just dries the zits, but there's no antibacterial ingredient in it that will kill the bacterias feeding on the pimple.

Just buy tea tree oil really. A bottle will cost you $8-10 and will last a long time since you'll only use 1-2 drops at a time.
this is nice... your great
ADD ME IN SKYPE SHANE_XXX21
All of us would like to keep our skin soft, smooth, and without wrinkles all our life. Although there are several things we can do to achieve this goal we must not forget that living a healthy life is the best ingredient of all. The most important factor in the appearance of the skin is the overall health of the body.

I go for MILK - yes milk - The milk has properties that produce collagen which reaffirms and makes the skin more flexible. The lactose softens and moisturizes the skin, and milk fat regenerates the skin. Cleopatra, queen of Egypt, never forgot her milk baths. You can do it too!

Milk bath: Fill the bathtub with hot water. Make 4 or 5 liters of milk using powdered milk and add them to the tub. Stay in the water for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water. To recover from a bad night sleep: Blend one beet cut into pieces and 1/4 cup milk. Apply on the face for half an hour minimum (the longer you can leave it on the better). Rinse with warm water.
I don't think I ever mentioned this before, but here's a nice tip for those with an oily skin that gets shiny during the day.

A product that's available in some pharmacies are blotting papers, which are very soft on the skin and quite absorbent:

I had a hard time finding those and figured they would cost more than what they're actually worth, so I found a great alternative. I simply buy silk wrapping paper:

You can buy many of these just about anywhere for a very cheap price. I usually buy a pack of white ones and cut them to an appropriate size to carry around in my pockets or briefcase (around 12" x 12").

What I like about them is that they wipe the oil off my face quite easily and are very gentle on the skin (unlike tissues, toilet paper or paper towels). Since they're so soft, it's also easy to remove just a thin layer of oil without removing your sunscreen (or makeup in the case of girls).

I don't have an overly oily skin myself, but my face sometimes gets shiny during the day (especially during the summer), and I like to carry those around just in case. Usually just one piece of paper lasts me an entire day.

It's kind of appropriate anyway, since I'm a gift of nature.
Yet another of my unconventional beauty tips, though this time it concerns men only. I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I might as well refresh this thread rather than start a new one.

A short while ago, I ordered many pairs of glasses online for a rather cheap price, and each pair included a microfiber cleaning cloth. I never use these to clean my glasses, but found a great alternative way to use them.

Since I'm circumcised, the head of my dick often rubs against my boxer briefs, which leads to occasional irritation and some minor harshness in its appearance. I thus thought that the softness of these microfiber cloths could help resolve the issue, and tested my idea by placing one in my boxer briefs, in a way that prevented my penis from rubbing against the usual material.

I tested this practice for a few weeks (using a new cloth every day and washing them all every week), and was greatly satisfied with the results: my cock looks and feels very soft, much more so than it ever did before. I swear, I really witnessed a noticeable difference, plus this will likely prevent my penis from getting unsightly wrinkles or discoloration patches in the long term.

Following this, I ordered a complete pack of black microfiber clothes (x30). This will be much more convenient, as I'll simply use a new one each day and wash the whole bunch together at the end of each month in the washing machine:

These are available on Amazon for a rather cheap price ($20 for a pack of 30). I know, this whole habit might sound funny and awkward, but I swear it can really help alleviate irritation issues, as well as greatly improve the appearance of your dick.

Check it out if you're interested: MagicFiber® Premium Microfiber Cleaning Cloths
I've been really getting into facial masks again lately - maybe because of the change in weather.

Has anyone tried the GlamGlow masks? They're freaking amazing! At the very least, everyone needs a little Supermud in their life. And Thirstymud is like a skin-holiday in a jar.

I also love the Pumpkin Enzyme Exfoliator mask by Peter Thomas Roth.

I'm always on the lookout for something skincare life-changing.

Any recommendations or favourites as far as masks go?

I know technically there are DIY recipes, but I'm always nervous about reactions or breakouts from those - especially when it comes to straight food items like yogurts, honey, unrefined oils or fruits etc.
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I've been really getting into facial masks again lately - maybe because of the change in weather.

Has anyone tried the GlamGlow masks? They're freaking amazing! At the very least, everyone needs a little Supermud in their life. And Thirstymud is like a skin-holiday in a jar.

*squeels*

You made this post just for me, didn't you? I know you did!

You know how I am about this sort of thing. I'm a DIY gal at heart, but I have/had my share of pre-made masks and such.

I've heard of GlamGlow, but don't know anyone personally who uses it, and it takes a lot of convincing before I try anything new for my face. Typically I try to trick friends into using new things first, but lately I've been their go-to for skin care, so now they wait for me to make the first move when it comes to this.

*bookmarks glamglowmud.com*

Quote by Dani

*squeels*

You made this post just for me, didn't you? I know you did!

You know how I am about this sort of thing. I'm a DIY gal at heart, but I have/had my share of pre-made masks and such.

I've heard of GlamGlow, but don't know anyone personally who uses it, and it takes a lot of convincing before I try anything new for my face. Typically I try to trick friends into using them first, but lately I've been their go-to for skin care, so now they wait for me to make the first move.

*bookmarks glamglowmud.com*

I had a deluxe sample of the YouthMud and Thirstymud from Sephora that I tried and was like - omg... this is fantastic! Then I started looking into all their masks. The Supermud is the one that gets the majority of the attention because it pulls the gunk from your pores and you can see it as it dries (google images - you'll be like ewww but wowww). So... I ended up making the GlamGlow investment and I really love all three of them. I have a sample of their most recent mask, but haven't tried it yet. I would recommend going to Sephora and getting samples first for sure - easiest way to know if you'll like it because they're pricey.

Their masks have won a ton of awards (listed below), which is what put me over the edge in wanting to test out all the hype. They totally delivered.

http://www.glamglowmud.com/glamland/glam-awards
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I had a deluxe sample of the YouthMud and Thirstymud from Sephora that I tried and was like - omg... this is fantastic! Then I started looking into all their masks. The Supermud is the one that gets the majority of the attention because it pulls the gunk from your pores and you can see it as it dries (google images - you'll be like ewww but wowww). So... I ended up making the GlamGlow investment and I really love all three of them. I have a sample of their most recent mask, but haven't tried it yet. I would recommend going to Sephora and getting samples first for sure - easiest way to know if you'll like it because they're pricey.

Their masks have won a ton of awards (listed below), which is what put me over the edge in wanting to test out all the hype. They totally delivered.

http://www.glamglowmud.com/glamland/glam-awards

I was waaaaay ahead of you on the demos. There's a really good one where a chick has all 5 of their masks, and she demos them all. It's great for GlamGlow evangelizing...seriously, they should hire her!

The Supermud didn't freak me out. I get the 'eww' factor, but I'm the girl that watches videos of people popping huge gross pimples and pulling bot flies out of their skin. I have an extremely high 'eww' threshold...and I thought that Supermud demo was a work of art.

Anyhoo, to make a long story short, you owe me $69. Here's why:

That's the set from Sephora, but it was out of stock, so I actually bought it from glamglowmud.com. I just thought the Sephora picture was better.

Quote by Dani

I was waaaaay ahead of you on the demos. There's a really good one where a chick has all 5 of their masks, and she demos them all. It's great for GlamGlow evangelizing...seriously, they should hire her!

Anyhoo, to make a long story short, you owe me $69. Here's why:

That's the set from Sephora, but it was out of stock, so I actually bought it from glamglowmud.com. I just thought the Sephora picture was better.

Dude! I totally wanted that kit as well - but yeah - out of stock on Sephora and in my local Sephora store too (they sold the last one the day before I went in... arghh!). I was going to wait to hunt it down but I wanted to use my Sephora discount on the masks, and I figured I'd want full-size anyway, so I bought them separately. That is a great kit though! You'll like the full-size Thirstymud - it has a hint of coconut scent to it - feels vaguely tropical, which is why I love it. Super hydrating too. I had some dryness on my chin and it totally zapped it.

The Youthmud has some bits of leaves in it (tea leaves, I think) so be forewarned - you will look kinda scary when you put it on. silly
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Dude! I totally wanted that kit as well - but yeah - out of stock on Sephora and in my local Sephora store too (they sold the last one the day before I went in... arghh!). I was going to wait to hunt it down but I wanted to use my Sephora discount on the masks, and I figured I'd want full-size anyway, so I bought them separately. That is a great kit though! You'll like the full-size Thirstymud - it has a hint of coconut scent to it - feels vaguely tropical, which is why I love it. Super hydrating too. I had some dryness on my chin and it totally zapped it.

The Youthmud has some bits of leaves in it (tea leaves, I think) so be forewarned - you will look kinda scary when you put it on. silly

I actually thought I would have preferred a bigger Supermud and a smaller everything else after watching my first demo of it. But given how often you're supposed to use face masks and how powerful Supermud is, I can only really see myself using it once every couple of weeks or so along with my normal cleansing routine. So this kit is perfect.

Here's the demo I mentioned earlier. It's long, but thorough:

The only thing is, she applies the masks with her hands. I've always used a foundation brush that I don't use for foundation to apply my masks. A lot of people in other demos did the same thing for the same reasons: You use less product, you get a more even application, less cleanup, and no gunk under your nails.

I'm super excited about these...thanks Ash!

Quote by Dani

Here's the demo I mentioned earlier. It's long, but thorough:

I watched the video - fun. I wanted to spank her though for not taking off her mascara before doing the eye treatment mask. lol. I'm not sure I'd splurge for the eye one just because it seems pricy for just the eye-pods. I am, however, seriously lemming the green Powermud one. I'm now dreaming of a Black Friday or Xmas special at Sephora to justify it.

I use a foundation brush as well. It just makes sense.

This was the youtube vid that convinced me. I really this girl's videos - she has some great tutorials and reviews.

Quote by Dancing_Doll
I'm now dreaming of a Black Friday or Xmas special at Sephora to justify it.

Did you know that there's something similar to Black Friday that occurs the day after Xmas in most places?

I'm a big lover of cocoa butter. I like to use the Palmer's cocoa scrub before a shower and also Nivea cocoa butter lotion.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Quote by Dani

Did you know that there's something similar to Black Friday that occurs the day after Xmas in most places?

I'm not good at waiting when I get something in my head.