Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Men's Look Trends - too metrosexual or edgy and cool?

last reply
17 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
They have a lot of 'beauty/look' products geared toward men these days. Companies like evolution-man.com have 'man-polish' and special skincare lines and manly-concealers to cover up acne, scars and razor burn. Then of course there will always be the types that like a bit of guy-liner at night.

What's the consensus on this stuff - too metrosexual? Cool? Edgy and rocker-chic? A fun way for guys to express themselves and experiment with more individual looks? Or just part of fair-play to let men cover up the skin-blips that might make them self-conscious.

And ladies - would it bother you to have your man sporting man-polish or dabbing a bit of concealer on a facial scar or covering up the dark circles now and then? Where do you draw the line at man-style and male 'beautification'? And let's be honest - you can't just reject it as uncool because a lot of these guys ie. Johnny Depp, Dave Navarro, Seal, Russell Brand and tons of mainstream male actors that hit the red carpets all have a little something on and they do get plenty of swooning fans.

Lurker
0 likes
I only saw one there that I thought "fit", the rest..... give me a break and man-up.

The one that "fit" would be black nails in a heavy metal / goth / dark type look.

Now makeup to cover up a scar, a blemish, dark under eyes, etc. I have no problems with that personally; as long as it looks NATURAL. When you look at a guy and can see he is wearing makeup, sorry, unless it is for theater or a concert, or something like that, I tend to think it is a bit too feminine and shake my head. It simply is not for me, and yes, I will instantly draw a conclusion about the person doing it. After all, what we wear is MEANT to send a signal, it is why we wear it.

I am not a lady, but yes, I think it is "uncool". I don't care what actor or performer does it. They are swooned over not because they wear the makeup, but because women fall for the IMAGE they present in their professions. So in this case I believe it is not the makeup that is "cool" it is the person wearing it (if even then); and we often see them (performers/entertainers) wearing some pretty ugly and stupid stuff, but that does not matter... because it is "X" who is wearing it. See that clothing or makeup, or whatever, on some random dude walking down the street and most of those swooning women (IMO) would be ignoring the guy, or not be attracted to him at all, if not avoid him all together.

We have seen trends come and go and look back and say "I can't believe I thought that was cool just because X wore it. OMG we looked STUPID!"

Here is yet another one IMO.

But I am sure some gals might like that look...... there is always someone out there that will like most anything. I personally don't think it is most women though. If it was, I would think we would see that all the time, and honestly I can count the number of guys I have seen visibly wearing makeup like that on less than one hand (again, in "normal" settings).
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by JohnC
give me a break and man-up.

You should practice what you preach.

As far as the man makeup goes... All these dudes are in situations where there are people taking pictures of them. Like I get why they would put on makeup on the red carpet of some awards show for example, they are in the spot light. Or like the fighter with his nails done, it's flamboyant. I get it. But like putting on makeup just to go to dinner or the club or something.. I don't know, seems funny to me. I'm a natural beauty though so maybe I just wouldn't understand.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

You should practice what you preach.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I know some of you girls like your men totally emasculated, but really, I want my men to look like men! *giggles* oops! hope that didn't offend anyone too much! xx B
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by JohnC

racism picture

Racism is never funny JohnC, even against Scandinavians. What Mel Gibson said About Jews was awful and frankly I'm offended that you posted this on Lush. Please try to stay on topic. This thread is about men wearing makeup. Not racism that you may or may not support, its unclear.

Thank you.
Lurker
0 likes
LOL! The mega-trend men and makeup. Hey, follow the money - throw some celebs into the picture, pay them a fortune, and watch your cosmetic stocks go up - Cha-Ching!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Sometimes I wonder if some guys may be wearing makeup but we just don't know it? Like if it's a bit of concealer under the eyes and it's out at night, you might not be able to tell. It would be weird though, admittedly. If a guy had some random zit he wanted to cover up though, I doubt I'd care much. Do what you need to do to feel good, I always say.

As far as the man-polish and guy-liner - I'm not into it, unless you're legit in a rock band or an urban artist or edgy celeb and even then it might be a bit of hit or miss - depending on the guy. Some like Dave Navarro and Russell Brand can pull it off - it vibes with their look, but yeah, the average guy should probably stay away from it. It can go from edgy/cool to feminine and fussy very quickly if you're not careful.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
What's the consensus on this stuff - too metrosexual? Cool? Edgy and rocker-chic? A fun way for guys to express themselves and experiment with more individual looks? Or just part of fair-play to let men cover up the skin-blips that might make them self-conscious.

Not my cup of tea. At all. Covering up scars and acne and the like? Sure. Most guys have some kind of treatment for that either way.

Eye-liner? Nail-polish?

Hell naw. I like the stuff well enough on the ladies, but keep it away from me. I have no interest in it, least of which is become all those chemicals fuck with my allergies anyway.

I like having a rugged, yet clean look. Not the appearance of a man-doll.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Sometimes I wonder if some guys may be wearing makeup but we just don't know it? Like if it's a bit of concealer under the eyes and it's out at night, you might not be able to tell.

I do use concealer for dark circles when not wearing my glasses. I have a pale skin, and dark circles really stand out if I didn't sleep well. I make sure no one would be able to tell that I wear it.

I could be perceived a bit of a metrosexual myself, as I'm a perfectionnist and take good care of my appearence. But of all the efforts I make on my appearance, none are geared toward making me look more feminine, I just hate that look.

My general routines to enhance my look :

- Weight lifting + nutrition
- Buying/wearing clothes that fit me well
- Doing my hair + maintaining a light stubble
- Sunscreen cream (this one is important for anti-aging)
- Concealer for dark circles
- Creams for occasionnal acne
- Pubic shaving once every 3 days or so
- Body hair removal once a week (ears, nose, torso... I'm not naturally hairy, so this takes me 5 minutes or so)

Am I trying too hard, lol? As I said, I do it mostly for myself because I'm a perfectionnist.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Those looks are too metro for me. For me straight leg jeans or cargo shorts with t-shirts, baseball cap or a cowboy hat. Boots, sneakers or sandals. For work a business suit that's not too tight and the trousers are long enough so that it doesn't look like you are expecting a flood. For casual outing, khaki pants (no pleat) , polo shirt or button down with sleeves rolled up and penny loafers, no socks.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I do use concealer for dark circles when not wearing my glasses. I have a pale skin, and dark circles really stand out if I didn't sleep well. I make sure no one would be able to tell that I wear it.

I could be perceived a bit of a metrosexual myself, as I'm a perfectionnist and take good care of my appearence. But of all the efforts I make on my appearance, none are geared toward making me look more feminine, I just hate that look.

My general routines to enhance my look :

- Weight lifting + nutrition
- Buying/wearing clothes that fit me well
- Doing my hair + maintaining a light stubble
- Sunscreen cream (this one is important for anti-aging)
- Concealer for dark circles
- Creams for occasionnal acne
- Pubic shaving once every 3 days or so
- Body hair removal once a week (ears, nose, torso... I'm not naturally hairy, so this takes me 5 minutes or so)

Am I trying too hard, lol? As I said, I do it mostly for myself because I'm a perfectionnist.

I applaud this list of self-maintenance! Nothing wrong with any of it. It's that whole 'my body is a temple' kind of a philosophy. Plus it's the shell we're stuck in for the duration of our time on earth. If someone (guy or girl) wants it to look a certain way for aesthetic and health reasons, I'd say it's a positive thing. The exercise, nutrition and sunscreen really should be a must for anyone anyway because there are quality of life, health and longevity benefits. The 'looking good' bit is a great byproduct of that kind of regimen, but not the most important reason to do it. And the rest is just personal style - so why not? smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Those looks are too metro for me. For me straight leg jeans or cargo shorts with t-shirts, baseball cap or a cowboy hat. Boots, sneakers or sandals. For work a business suit that's not too tight and the trousers are long enough so that it doesn't look like you are expecting a flood. For casual outing, khaki pants (no pleat) , polo shirt or button down with sleeves rolled up and penny loafers, no socks.

You've definitely got that casual-chic southern boy style, Buz. But I'll bet you own some pink shirts in that wardrobe. haha. Probably your wife's influence though. smile

PS. I actually like the colour salmon more than pink on guys these days. I'm not sure if that's considered too 'girly' a colour to non-metrosexual men, but it does look good.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

You've definitely got that casual-chic southern boy style, Buz. But I'll bet you own some pink shirts in that wardrobe. haha. Probably your wife's influence though. smile

PS. I actually like the colour salmon more than pink on guys these days. I'm not sure if that's considered too 'girly' a colour to non-metrosexual men, but it does look good.

Yes I do Ashleigh. Both pink & salmon in oxford button down and in polo style, and yes my wife bought those for me.

Oh, there was also my old fraternity boy attire for college football games. White button down oxford long sleeve shirt with red tie, worn very loose, Khaki cargo shorts for hot games or chinos for cold games, no socks, and a very worn out Georgia Bulldogs cap. Hidden underneath my clothes, taped to my body, a hospital baggy with tube running down the sleeve containing Jack Daniels whiskey. Alcohol is not allowed in the game but with somehow I eluded detection. (And always Georgia Bulldog boxer shorts.)
Lurker
0 likes
My job requires I suit and tie it mostly, sometimes even the tuxedo for social events, etc. My sailing and leisure togs reflect "upscale" though I have jeans and stuff, too. That said, I don't own any yoga pants or jogging suits or any of that sloppy look wear. On the other hand, I don't wear any makeup of any kind and my manners - though gentlemanly - are manly enough, I think. LOL I deal with entertainment types everyday, so I see plenty of "metrosexuals" of all varieties and styles. I don't judge, but neither do I emulate. It's just not me.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by yourmisterdark
My job requires I suit and tie it mostly, sometimes even the tuxedo for social events, etc. My sailing and leisure togs reflect "upscale" though I have jeans and stuff, too. That said, I don't own any yoga pants or jogging suits or any of that sloppy look wear. On the other hand, I don't wear any makeup of any kind and my manners - though gentlemanly - are manly enough, I think. LOL I deal with entertainment types everyday, so I see plenty of "metrosexuals" of all varieties and styles. I don't judge, but neither do I emulate. It's just not me.

Why is this so funny?

It's really great.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

This made me laugh out loud. Well said.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some guys may be able to pull this off, in a few select places in the country, but nowhere I frequent.