Designer Stubble - Hot or Not?

last reply
37 replies
5.2k views
0 watchers
1 like
Alpha Blonde
0 likes

Designer stubble, a well groomed light hint of facial hair, can make you look rugged or even refined, depending on which way you wear it. It is one of the lasting facial hair trends that works for so many different men.

What do you think of this look, guys and girls? Hot or Not?

Guys, have you tried this look and is it more difficult to maintain than a full beard or clean-shaven?

Girls - do you like facial hair on a guy and if so, do you prefer this to a full beard?

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I prefer the look myself.

I look far better, in my opinion, with the light stubble. No mustache though. I can't pull it off and I just don't like the feel of them either. I generally keep it clean and smooth around the mouth. So I guess I kind of keep a rugged chin-strap, though that isn't the proper description either. I pretty much keep try to keep a look like what you have in the first image, though slightly smaller. Admittedly, I need to get a couple of those small grooming electric razors to keep things more even.

Definitely prefer my hair fairly short too, like the first image. Though I keep it just long enough to keep a messy kind of a spike.

Most ladies, however, that I've met at least, prefer clean shaven. Which does make sense, if you're giving oral. Or kissing.o1ZHVj6t5uDVgnnK
Lurker
0 likes
It's ok looking. I can't stand kissing with stubble gouging at my face, though. So I favor a slightly more grown bit of facial hair along the lines of a goatee or clean shaven.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it looks as though you need a bath or have just rolled out of bed with a hangover (that must be pretty rugged). I suppose the idea is that opposites attract and as most girls can't grow facial hair it may intrigue them. By the way I posed this question in a thread yesterday.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I really like this look. I am not into full beards or extreme facial hair, but very well trimmed stubble is absolutely hot on the right guy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I really like this look. I am not into full beards or extreme facial hair, but very well trimmed stubble is absolutely hot on the right guy.

I agree with this, for some reason I find the stubble to be very sexy on some guys, but I don't like beards at all.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
The look is better than the feel. Some guys look really good with it, but other guys look like hobos. Like most looks, it's not for everybody.
[url]http://[/url]
0 likes
I love the stubble look. I think the man in the first photo would look better clean-shaven, but when it comes to the rest of the men there...I'm a fan.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I just had to say - The man in the first pic is thee Tom Ford (as in the Tom Ford behind 'Tom Ford'). Fashion designer behind the label, oscar-nominated film director and the man responsible for the epic turnaround of Gucci. Really, he can do no wrong. smile

And yes, yes, I know he's gay. I was just admiring his stubble. And his always impressive Tom Ford'ness.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Found this article this morning:

Apparently, it really IS science. A study had 351 women rate attractiveness of 10 men in the following stages of facial hair: clean shaven, light stubble (5 days unshaven), heavy stubble (10 days unshaven), and fully bearded.

Heavy stubble was viewed as the most attractive, while clean-shaven and fully bearded tied. Light stubble was not viewed as attractive, as it was often too patchy.

More info

PS If you're interested in participating in some follow up studies, you can sign up here
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mr Swollen is currently sporting the rough (but kempt) unshaven look - he has longish hair too, with a peppering of grey. Sexiest thing about it is, he has no idea how completely amazing he looks. I would - oh, I do!!!
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
I love the stubble look. I think the man in the first photo would look better clean-shaven, but when it comes to the rest of the men there...I'm a fan.

THIS.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Guys, have you tried this look and is it more difficult to maintain than a full beard or clean-shaven?

Yes, I wear a light stubble too. Comparing maintenance would be a little difficult, as every man has different shaving habits. For example, some men are into old school wet shaving, with a badger brush, hot towels, safety razor, etc. To them shaving to achieve baby smooth skin is a ritual that can take up to 20-30 minutes every morning.

Myself, I find maintaining a stubble quite convenient, althought there was a learning curve, mostly about finding my growth rate and drawing a nice neckline.

What I do is shave with an electric trimmer, without any guard, once a week. I usually do this on a day I don't go out much (Sunday), because it's just too short then to look like a decent stubble.

The next 7 days I just let it grow, and only shave the neck and trim the neckline. Shaving to have a perfectly defined, straight neckline is what takes most time. I do this with a hand mirror, to have a fine view of my profile. Still I'd say it's about the same time as getting a complete shave, as you don't have to shave the cheeks, moustache, etc.

What really is convenient about it, is that if you miss a day shaving the neck, it doesn't look as messy as your stubble will be longer than your neck hair anyways. Still I don't go more than 2 days without shaving this part, otherwise I lose track of my established neckline and I've got to redefine it from scratch. I also only omit the neck on casual days, never on a working day.

I hope this helps other guys who'd like to try this facial hair style.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it looks fine on some but not on others. Also as others have pointed out, it can often times look patchy and IMO as if the guy was just lazy. You can go from being able to pull it off to not with little differences.

I normally go from a sculpted 5 on my beard trimmer up to a 9 in the winter sometimes. And I go from a goatee to full beard depending on my mood. I also go from a full beard up the cheeks, to just the jawline (that is what I am doing now), or jawline full (though not long) with stubble up the cheek (that look works for me too).

But I dislike stubble on my neck, and think guys who don't shave their necks clean look dirty and scummy.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by JohnC
I think it looks fine on some but not on others. Also as others have pointed out, it can often times look patchy and IMO as if the guy was just lazy. You can go from being able to pull it off to not with little differences..(...)..but I dislike stubble on my neck, and think guys who don't shave their necks clean look dirty and scummy.

That's why maintaining a perfectly traced neckline is key. This is what shifts the stubble from looking lazy/scruffy to looking neat/stylish.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I've been doing the designer stubble thing for about seven years now.

I was trying to grow a sneaky moustache for a dance competition, and I got heaps of positive feedback from the ladies while it was coming in. So after I was done with Raul, my rumba alter ego, I grew it back.

Still didn't get any though.

And now that I'm married, my wife just teases me for the salt and pepper sprinkled through. So it's really just to cover up my baby face these days.

It's much easier to maintain than clean shaving, and I suppose about the same as a full beard. Although it's much more comfortable than the full. The key is though, you have to have a good electric beard trimmer, otherwise you're just asking for trouble. And as others have mentioned, you've got to keep up with shaving the neck, and the cheeks for those of us into Teenwolf, or Robin Williams territory.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Lurker
0 likes
Any kind of facial hair is sexy... Mmmmmm....
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I think it is very sexy looking and hot on some people. I guess it would just have to depend.

My spouse has a mustache and I really like that.

He has also had a gotee which I liked also.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like the look. I also like beards. I have gone to beard contests and loved it. Beards can be extremely sexy!

Hair on the neck is a turn off with the beard.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by AngelHeart01
I like the look. I also like beards. I have gone to beard contests and loved it. Beards can be extremely sexy!

Hair on the neck is a turn off with the beard.

Did you meet this man?

The Linebacker
0 likes
Funny, I never thought of stubble as being designer or vogue. I often wear stubble as it grows so damn fast. I guess that makes me designer vogue much of the time. I can't stand for it to grow down my neck though. That itches and drives me crazy. When my hair was long I grew a beard. It was in full in 2 weeks. I started trimming it real short though. My wife loved it all, the long hair and the short beard. My hair got real curly or wavy or whatever, very unruly looking and I had to tie it behind my head in a ponytail to run, bicycle, work out & play sports. That all just drove me nuts. I shower at least twice a day and washing my hair and drying it so often was driving me crazy. Its short now, somewhere just a little longer than a crew cut. Towel and go baby!

Sometimes I have to go clean shaven though for business reasons.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I adore stubble that's been well kept, my husband is a defence member, so unfortunately it's not something I get to see on him very often. I love summer holidays when he lets it grown in, goatee and short stubble, oh my, swoon
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shaved clean for me - wife can't stand stubble and I can't either
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recently had several dates with a man with designer stubble, and I just didn't like the way it felt against my face when he kissed me. It looks like laziness to me -- too lazy to shave.
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
From a guy with a beard, either shave or don't. This in between crap looks awful.
Mana wahine
0 likes
I'm a moustache girl. Gimme a man with a moustache and I will climb him like a tree.
Lurker
0 likes
It's definitely hot as well as it is groomed and shaped.