Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Who is going to pay the new memebership fee for this site?

last reply
75 replies
8.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
There are wonderful things and wonderful people on Lush. I knew within a few weeks of my arrival that I'd found a new home. I mentioned to a friend here how much I enjoyed the site, and that I intended to buy a Gold Membership. Before I knew it, he had gifted me one. I've been active on a lot of different social sites over the past nine years. I've even owned and operated one of my own for a couple years, and know from personal experience what a challenge it is to make a site successful. For the past five years, I've worked as an administrator on a friend's lesbian social-network, and see all the hassles she goes through to finance the site, fend off attacks from hackers, write code, and keep the membership active and vibrant. I have nothing but respect for anyone who can pull off this feat, and Nicola has certainly done that with Lush. If ad revenues no longer cover her costs, her choices are limited, and the ones she's made seem perfectly fair to me. I know the 'something-for-nothing' crowd will always howl. These are the same people who happily enjoy roads, fire departments, and public libraries, but whine about taxation and vote down every operating-levy that comes along!

There are givers and takers. If you've enjoyed being on this site for years and never contributed, you are part of the problem, not the solution. I intend to renew my Gold Membership this summer, because I want to see this site continue and thrive.

Beth,
I agree with you 100%. That says a lot coming from and argumentative person like me. The perks the gold membership gives makes the fee seem small. I've made so many friends here that Lush is so much more than just an erotic writers site. It is a community. I have been part of Blogs and Forums before but this offers all that and some of the best authors around.
BTW Beth, Ive got your next one.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Oh I've tried!!! You play so hard to get.

Pair of us in it, Sarcastic Scouse!

xx SF
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by Tinastits2
To answer the original question; I received the email and a Bronze membership, so I could stay as I am. However I absolutely love this site and for 1$ a week I now intend to take out a gold membership even though I hadn't considered it before.

If you've ever visited similar sites or submitted stories you'll know how good this one is, the people who work on here do a fantastic job.

Lurker
0 likes
helll no
Lurker
0 likes
Nei, I wont. I enjoy lush, but with a 3 year old to take care of I have more important things I can spend my money on.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
Well, I did it twice and don't recall being tracked from any traces coming from this site. Yes, I plan on dong it a third time, even though Lush isn't perfect.

Yes, you're quite right, Jeremy, and I can assure you I'm doing my utmost to make a financial contribution to the site as well.

I feel that we, as a community, have to support each other and the site's best interests.

The lady who owns this site is a fantastic person and has created something wonderful and very special here for us all to enjoy.

In my brief time of knowing her she has left me with a very warm and special feeling in my heart and has done more for me than I ever would have expected.

So you should all think long and hard before you scoff at the prospect of supporting the site.

I shall leave you to ponder this: "treat others as you wish to be treated".
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
instead of trying paid accounts , why not first ask for donations from the world, like many services do in the world...see how much comes in and then re-evaluate the finaces.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ssshellyfrank
instead of trying paid accounts , why not first ask for donations from the world, like many services do in the world...see how much comes in and then re-evaluate the finaces.

I'm pretty sure that was what the gold membership was, and it obviously didn't yield the needed results.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes I am willing to pay for the sites services. I have wondered how they were doing this for free for sometime. And yes Lush might loose a few members, but am sure the quality folks who value the site and friendships here will remain.
Lurker
0 likes
I won't be paying.I never use my credit card over the internet for security reasons.If one of my friends want to pay my membership fee I'd be forever grateful otherwise I'll be saying Aloha when its time to pay up
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I already have
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
TRACKED!! Sounds like someone is into conspiracies. lol

NSA is NOT a "conspiracy theory" it is a KNOWN fact. So is the FACT that it has FAR over stepped the "boundaries" supposedly set up for it. All I can say is that we ALL need to be VERY careful about just HOW BIG a file on us we allow our government to accumulate. What seems innocent and harmless NOW, COULD come back to bite you HARD in the future. The direction our government is increasingly taking is SCARY! Now, the "separation of powers doctrine" no longer exists the precedent has been ALLOWED to be set...while we the People were sold out by those others in office who allowed it to happen. IF laws can be enacted WTHOUT legislative action, what power has been handed to the executive branch? No THEORIES involved, just facts.
Lurker
0 likes
always happy to support Lush in all ways.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well said, Tiddlywink! I couldn't have put it better myself!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I would be happy to buy a membership and went so far as to try. Seems there was a problem, the site did not want to accept my debit card! I address all my internet payments the same way, I opened an anonymous Bluebird account at Wal-Mart and keep only enough funds there to cover what I am doing at the moment.
Lurker
0 likes
No. But not for the reasons about being tracked smile.... If someone is cheating the partner on this site maybe they should be discovered - hahaha, I'm so meany.
It's a matter of principle, adversing should pay for the site costs and it's the only way a site like this can survive.

Charging money would be OK if voluntary. Severely decreasing the functionality of the site for non paying members will be the end of the site and it's a decision that it's going to be reverted.

Charging money will transform this site into a stories site (and the name says it) with some authors happy to post their stories (many don't need to pay), some casual readers (that also don't pay), chat rooms will have a few usual ones that will chat about the weather and mundane aspects of life, visitors number will fall sharply and oblivion is the only destination.

I might be wrong - sometimes it happen, and it's nice if I'm wrong this time. But it's something that doesn't happen that often.

Note that charging for a site like this, it's going against the trends of online social interactions - from facebook, music hosting sites, mobile applications, ... direct payments are in many ways a dying breed.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by AlexAlex

Charging money will transform this site into a stories site

Actually, the name LushStories was chosen because it IS a stories site. Just a little 411.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Chuckanator
0 likes
Sounds so sinister. I think the fifty bucks for the gold membership is a bargin. I've gifted a few too. They make great gifts for friends. So you think you're being tracked? Hmmm maybe their following you too.