What's the point

last reply
18 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've seen on several posts that lots of the profiles are fake. Guys say they're girls and vice versa. Bi's say straight, gays say bi. If we're anonymous what is the point of the lies.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'll venture out onto the limb a bit here...

It could very well be that some of those who have less than 100% truthful profiles do so to sustain an alternate identity -- even if it is in a cyber community.

I find nothing wrong with that, and respect their rights to do so.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Volya
I'll venture out onto the limb a bit here...

It could very well be that some of those who have less than 100% truthful profiles do so to sustain an alternate identity -- even if it is in a cyber community.

I find nothing wrong with that, and respect their rights to do so.

The questions are optional, why not leave them blank then?
Lurker
0 likes
I think there are some people who get into these sites to just simply escape their reality for a moment; to get off the gerbil wheel. Some may be malicious in their intentions, but others, if not most, just want to jump off the wheel for a little bit and be whoever they want to be.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it has to do with people who aren't happy with their "real world" lives. They are lacking something, or they are afraid to try something. In here they can be whoever and do whatever with relatively littler consequence. The only problem I see is for the people who don't see past their lies and believe they are talking to someone different, someone they maybe wouldn't open up to.
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Quote by sphxpoolguy
I think it has to do with people who aren't happy with their "real world" lives. They are lacking something, or they are afraid to try something. In here they can be whoever and do whatever with relatively littler consequence. The only problem I see is for the people who don't see past their lies and believe they are talking to someone different, someone they maybe wouldn't open up to.

This is exactly it.

Most people here can spot a fake. Maybe not right away, but things line up pretty quickly. But it's the internet. Fantasy world. This site is a form of escapism for many. The fakes don't bother me unless they're using their lies to manipulate people and play with their real feelings/emotions. That's taking the fantasy factor way too far.

People come here to either be who they really are or be who they'd like to be. There's really nothing wrong with this...within reason...and as long as it doesn't go too far (stealing pics/identities, etc.) or involve and/or exploit the feelings of other people.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Devil's Advocate
0 likes
The two reasons I've bullshitted online in the past:

1 - to add a little something to my stories. I'm a big fan of female first person stories, and quite frankly, the sluttier the better. If I like the story, I go backstage and check out the profile, or bio, or whatever. Whenever I find out it's just some guy, it takes something away. But when it's a drug-fucked, bisexual stripper who could be telling a true story, it adds something. Stupid, I know, but... So I did the same for a while on another site. You know, for the fans?

2 - To protect myself. I don't know who the fuck's out there, how crazy they are, or how good their IT skills are. If you think I'm a 37 year old married guy from Sydney, then maybe the 42 year old single woman from Brisbane I actually am will be that little bit safer. And I especially don't want anyone I know to recognise me from my profile. "Hey, Will? You're 37, right? Didn't you used to volunteer for Lifeline? Oh my God, you love Bring It On! I can't believe it, you write dirty stories! Mate, tell me you didn't stick your tongue up a hooker's ass, did you?" Misdirection is better than omission.

I still misdirect here with a few key facts to mask my identity, but otherwise, I'm honest. The friends I have here who I've interacted with may not know my driver's licence stats, but they know the real me. I'm not going to fake that. They're people too, and they deserve my respect.

I suppose others may do it as part of fantasy roll play. And good for them, I guess. But I agree, when it becomes real, and there's real emotions involved, it's time to come clean.

But to play devil's advocate for just a moment, buyer beware. If you're going to emotionally invest in relationships online, particularly on an erotica site, then come on. You're more than likely going to get dicked around. Pun intended. Proceed with caution.

And twice.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Wilful

1 - to add a little something to my stories. I'm a big fan of female first person stories, and quite frankly, the sluttier the better. If I like the story, I go backstage and check out the profile, or bio, or whatever. Whenever I find out it's just some guy, it takes something away. But when it's a drug-fucked, bisexual stripper who could be telling a true story, it adds something. Stupid, I know, but... So I did the same for a while on another site. You know, for the fans?

2 - To protect myself. I don't know who the fuck's out there, how crazy they are, or how good their IT skills are. If you think I'm a 37 year old married guy from Sydney, then maybe the 42 year old single woman from Brisbane I actually am will be that little bit safer. And I especially don't want anyone I know to recognise me from my profile. "Hey, Will? You're 37, right? Didn't you used to volunteer for Lifeline? Oh my God, you love Bring It On! I can't believe it, you write dirty stories! Mate, tell me you didn't stick your tongue up a hooker's ass, did you?" Misdirection is better than omission.

I still misdirect here with a few key facts to mask my identity, but otherwise, I'm honest. The friends I have here who I've interacted with may not know my driver's licence stats, but they know the real me. I'm not going to fake that. They're people too, and they deserve my respect.

I suppose others may do it as part of fantasy roll play. And good for them, I guess. But I agree, when it becomes real, and there's real emotions involved, it's time to come clean.

But to play devil's advocate for just a moment, buyer beware. If you're going to emotionally invest in relationships online, particularly on an erotica site, then come on. You're more than likely going to get dicked around. Pun intended. Proceed with caution.

And twice.

OMFG u mean ur not really eeyore, u liar pmsl, id never have accepted u as a friend if id known u were lying about that lol xo
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Kiera wrote:
OMFG u mean ur not really eeyore, u liar pmsl, id never have accepted u as a friend if id known u were lying about that lol xo

Oh, the donkey thing's very real, I assure you.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Wilful

And twice.

I still don't understand why people don't leave it blank. When people go in a chatroom do they keep up the facade? Surely they give themselves away. I mean, assuming you're straight, would you go in the gay chatroom? If you did, don't you think somebody checking your profile would avoid talking to you because: (a) If you're lying about that, what else are you lying about. Or (b) they want to speak to other gay people.
I haven't been in a chatroom but I have checked who is in them and it puts me off going in. I've seen posts in the forums that prove the profiles are lies. Why not just leave them blank?
Lurker
0 likes
I try to be as honest as possible but some details I just don't give out. I suppose some of the reasons people do it are innocent and some maybe not. I have been asked direct questions and I say sorry I can't tell you that. Its more omitting information than changing anything. I have made some friends here that I may confide a little more in but that is because we have spent time building a little trust. But if you have ever been cyber stalked or stalked in real life, you would want a little extra protection. Some people may live higher profile lives than others and cannot afford to be recognized. There can be a variety of good reasons. I would not want to come across my mother or something like that. MOM? You want to do what? With? Oh dear...It is an erotica site after all.
If its for role playing and just purely to escape or to cover your tracks because you can't afford to get busted then...who am I to judge? But if you are hurting people and manipulating them then that is just unkind and mean.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
I try to be as honest as possible but some details I just don't give out. I suppose some of the reasons people do it are innocent and some maybe not. I have been asked direct questions and I say sorry I can't tell you that. Its more omitting information than changing anything. I have made some friends here that I may confide a little more in but that is because we have spent time building a little trust. But if you have ever been cyber stalked or stalked in real life, you would want a little extra protection. Some people may live higher profile lives than others and cannot afford to be recognized. There can be a variety of good reasons. I would not want to come across my mother or something like that. MOM? You want to do what? With? Oh dear...It is an erotica site after all.
If its for role playing and just purely to escape or to cover your tracks because you can't afford to get busted then...who am I to judge? But if you are hurting people and manipulating them then that is just unkind and mean.

My sentiments exactly. If you want to withhold things that's fine, I respect that, that's what I'd do. I'll give out what I'm comfortable with but you can only build trust on foundations that are honest. Glad you got the role spelling correct, sound like my old English teacher. Lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

My sentiments exactly. If you want to withhold things that's fine, I respect that, that's what I'd do. I'll give out what I'm comfortable with but you can only build trust on foundations that are honest. Glad you got the role spelling correct, sound like my old English teacher. Lol

Do your book report dpw, its due on Monday!
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
dpw wrote:
"I still don't understand why people don't leave it blank. When people go in a chatroom do they keep up the facade? Surely they give themselves away. I mean, assuming you're straight, would you go in the gay chatroom? If you did, don't you think somebody checking your profile would avoid talking to you because: (a) If you're lying about that, what else are you lying about. Or (b) they want to speak to other gay people.
I haven't been in a chatroom but I have checked who is in them and it puts me off going in. I've seen posts in the forums that prove the profiles are lies. Why not just leave them blank?"

Why not use a pseudonym? I'm not here to meet anyone or fall in love, so why does it matter?

I don't know about the chat rooms. I gave it a quick go yesterday for shits and giggles, and it's not my scene.

I'm honest with friends and in my posts. If anyone's going to write me off because a few of my non-important stats might bend the truth, then I'm better off without them.

dpw also wrote:
"Glad you got the role spelling correct, sound like my old English teacher. Lol"

Yeah, I'm a dumbass (lol). I'm shit with homonyms. Thanks for the pick up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
[quote=:
Why not use a pseudonym? I'm not here to meet anyone or fall in love, so why does it matter?

I don't know about the chat rooms. I gave it a quick go yesterday for shits and giggles, and it's not my scene.

I'm honest with friends and in my posts. If anyone's going to write me off because a few of my non-important stats might bend the truth, then I'm better off without them.

Yeah, I'm a dumbass (lol). I'm shit with homonyms. Thanks for the pick up.
Firstly, personally I much prefer roll play to roleplay, if you get my drift, lol.
There's nothing wrong with a pseudonym, most people have them here but why build it up into a pseudo-character with a pseudo-personality. That gives me the impression that someone is trying to trick me or make a fool of me. I certainly didn't come on Lush to fall in love and to be honest nor to make friends, I think the fact that you can find a friend is the bonus. However, you say that you're honest with friends and in your posts but if the person is a fake the friendship is a sham. I know I might get crucified for this and it may be the wrong thing to do, but, I tend to respond to a post differently according to gender. The content is the same but the tone or the way it's worded often differ. Finally, you'll be glad to hear, I would never write a person off for that, it's the web, the net, the ether. It would take me longer to trust them, I would rather be drip fed the truth.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
I try to be as honest as possible but some details I just don't give out. I suppose some of the reasons people do it are innocent and some maybe not. I have been asked direct questions and I say sorry I can't tell you that. Its more omitting information than changing anything. I have made some friends here that I may confide a little more in but that is because we have spent time building a little trust.

I'm very much the same way. Omission rather than fabrication is a testament to my enjoyment and fulfilment here. As for any fears of being found out, I'm not sure why that would be an issue since there are countless parameters in place here to keep one's profile anonymous. You are in completely control here.

Although I have come to be very open minded about the many reasons why people do what they do on here including why someone would create a completely erroneous profile, that doesn't mean I don't question it. Personally, I would think it would be exhausting just trying to keep up with all the lies and storytelling. I can't even imagine spending that much time pretending but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC

Now that is a well thought out response in my humble opinion.

I would also add that when reading a person's profile, never assume anything is true that they don't state.

Being stalked/staked out/ targeted is terrifying. It must be dealt with in particular.
Lurker
0 likes
Well dpw my take on it is that even in RL all too many people are phony. At least here , on the internet, and on a fantasy site to boot; while you and I and many others CHOSE to be honest, others for their own reasons pretend to be something they're not (Which IS? Fantasy) So, I guess it's a live and let live situation.