Is it possible to love your spouse and be in an open

last reply
18 replies
1.6k views
1 watcher
1 like
The Linebacker
Of course.

There is a huge spectrum of tastes and desires in this world.
Active Ink Slinger
Yes, of course, sex isn't love and isn't sex!
Rainbow Warrior
Absolutely. I love both my boyfriends, and they share me with others.
Active Ink Slinger
I am in a relationship with five others so yes I share and am shared and would have it no other way. I am not married but in a relationship with one.
Lurker
From observing the couple I'm the other man to, I'd say certainly. They are very much in love and have separated love and lust (sex). She has a very high need for sex, he knows. A lot of his motivation for sharing her is that he likes the love of his life be happy.
Marx Sister
Certainly. Non-monogamous relationships can take many forms. An open relationship typically means a romantically monogamous relationship wherein the partners are allowed to have sex with others - either within certain rules or merely the caveat that they not become romantically involved with their additional sex partners and/or play partners. A polyamorous relationship specifically means that either (any) partner can form new autonomous relationships independent of their existing one(s).

In my home, there are four of us full time. My girlfriend, my wife, her boyfriend, live together. His kids (from a previous relationship) live with part time. In terms of romantic entanglement, it is not as complicated as people seem to think or say. The biggest challenge is that it's important to be aware of how your actions affect everyone, rather than just a single partner. It's been my experience though that this is true of all families who cohabit. Some of us have additional partners, and all of us are dating at least some of the time - though life stress can certainly limit the amount of energy I/we want to put into dating rather than our existing partnerships. Our family is perhaps somewhat nontraditional, but it is also as important as any other family, regardless of whom we love.

Three of our friends exist in a very successful triad (something which I have never tried longterm), and are very happy together. They live with two other humans, not involved in their relationship, but who have formed a family with them. This is saying that friends can be incorporated into such a family, rather than just partners and metamours [Metamour – a partner of your partner with whom you are not romantically or sexually involved].

There are numerous other forms that non-monogamy can take. Sometimes a triad (quad, etc.) is closed, and those three (or more) partners are only involved with each other. Such a relationship might also be sexually open, but romantically committed only to their existing partners. It can go all kinds of ways, which is one of the reasons that it can be so awesome. Making each other happy and wanting to make each other happy is a big part of a healthy relationship, so if additional partners will bring happiness into a relationship, then it's my position that this in itself happening is something of a gesture of trust and expression of love.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Lurker
We had a 4 or 5 year period in which we became heavy swingers. Both of us are bi, she needs to nurture her lesbian side on a regular basis. Swinging allowed her to do that. She had a gf from our group. They would spend Wednesday evenings together alone. I was basically a free agent on those nights and made a few contacts. Eventually, I had a gf, too. But it was all out in the open between the 2 of us. We seemed to have strengthened our sex life together during this time. We had to stop the lifestyle. However our one on one has never been better as our playing decreased. Yes, we love each other and it worked, for us.
Active Ink Slinger
I have no idea, but then as of June I haven't had a spouse
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by SarahFun
I have no idea, but then as of June I haven't had a spouse

Sometimes you need to take vows of commitment to yourself and your own happiness and security as a unique individual.
Lurker
I think it is. I love my girlfriend but I still have sex with others
Active Ink Slinger
Sure you can. Some people can separate love and pleasure.
Is it possible to love your spouse and be in an open

Of course. My wife and I opened our marriage years ago due to me being in the Navy with long periods of separations and both of us having a high sex drive, it just made sense. As my wife would tells guys that asked her if they could make love to her, "No, I won't make love to you, I only make love to my husband, but I will fuck you." biggrin
Active Ink Slinger
My husband and I swapped with a very nice couple last night, and we love each other as much as ever this morning. Loving having recreational sex with other great people doesn't detract from the love we share.
Lurker
Yes. My wife and i were committed to each other in college, but she needed sexual satisfaction when I wasn't available. She had sex with others, but remained committed to me. I gave her permission to do the same after we married, and she did a few times. It had impact on our love for each other because it was just a physical act for her with others. Our marriage is great after 40 years, so love wasn't affected.
Advanced Wordsmith

Yes, definitely. I loved my wife more and still do

Active Ink Slinger

No. I have not had the urge to be with anyone else, while we were married.