Login

Body modification and 'suspension'

last reply
5 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I watched, with almost appalled fascination, a programme, last night on body modification which, apart from the usual piercings, included such items as creating a 'mohican' style hairshape from metal spikes.

Also, there was footage of people being suspended from ropes by metal hooks in their shoulders.

I have to declare that I'm not neutral as I have considerable scarring on my back from spinal operations and also have an implant to aid amelioration of pain. So, am wondering if my (to be candid) revulsion is shared by those whose opinions aren't coloured by personal experience of substantial pain levels.

Oh, those who ask why did I continue watching ? Morbid curiosity, I think. I'm still not quite sure
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've seen something similar to people being suspended from metal hooks on T.V as well (I think the show was An Idiot Abroad)

My general thought was just why? I couldn't see any point to it!
Lurker
0 likes
I once saw a programme like that, it may have even been the same one. I think the human form is lovely, male or female, without doing such horrific things. I really did feel very ill after watching the programme but for some reason I found it impossible to turn the tv off.
Lurker
0 likes
I certainly can understand the necessity of surgical implants to aid in the healing, function or alignment of the body.

Hell I even had titanium bolting my ankle together. As soon as it was healed, it got to be a problem. I was able to, and had it removed, as soon as I could.

Ultimately it is a foreign object which does not belong inside the human body.

As inert as titanium may be, the body still forms scar tissue and inflammation around it.

So the next stage is adding parts to the body for cosmetic purposes. Facial reconstruction. Various limbs or appendages to replace parts of the body which had been amputated or malformed or does not function or appear as it normally would.

I can totally understand that choice.

Then the optional cosmetic surgery, which is for appearance only.
That becomes a personal choice.

Then we have the body modifiers;
Who to varying degrees, cut, make holes, insert objects, change appearance, purely (it seems) for the shock value or controversy.
To me this is pretty much idiotic, but to each their own I suppose.
If it doesn't do harm to others, I guess it's your body.

The limits of which seem to be more about oneupsmanship, ass opposed to common sense.

I'd like to see a few of these "hook" people come over to the construction site and jam a piece of rusty reinforcing steel in their body modification hole, never mind a nice piece of stainless steel.

Might as well be a total idiot, never mind a partial bozo.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank-you for your considered responses.

Good to read, Jacquie.J, that I wasn't the only one who couldn't press the 'off' switch !
I was initially 'led astray' because it was on the Community Channel (on Sky) and then I was hooked. Apologies for the dreadful pun !

You're quite right, Hytherion, scar tissue does form and, occasionally, gives a twinge of pain as it pulls.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Not going to divulge where this comes from. Trust me, if somebody undertook to hang me up from the skin on my back you'd hear the hollering all the way to the UK. But from what I have been told the phenomenon of body suspension is less to tingle the masochistic nerve we all have on board than it is for erotic effect and to showcase the skill of piercing and/or the body jewelry involved. As repugnant as many of us find the practice it seems there is a highly specialized, very motivated group involved with this "art form".