Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What do you think makes a good relationship possible?

last reply
7 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I was given a set of Johnny Cash CDs a few years ago, the American series produced by Rich Rubin. These were the last recordings of Cash before he died. The songs included Cash's famous cover of “Hurt” written by Trent Reznor, there is also a great video of that performance by Cash, which is deeply moving (as one comment stated [a] "beautiful way to say goodbye...").

Anyway, there is always an anyway with me, I pulled a random CD off the rack, yes I still use CDs, and played it. It turned out to be American III, from the Cash/Rubin collaboration.

The second song was a cover of the Neil Diamond song “Solitary Man”, which I felt was very relative to a lot of the troubles some guys on Lush have been having with relationships. I found these words Apropos.

Don't know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl who'll stay
And won't play games behind me
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

Neil Diamond Solitary Man

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Kyle

Honesty, endless hard work, never falling into the assumption that it -- the relationship -- will look after itself on its own; it doesn't.

A good friend of mine once said that it's all about the "complicated machinery of marriage", and I think he is correct. It doesn't matter if one is in a marriage or a relationship, the "machinery", the mechanism of it, is complicated and complex, and there isn't a user's guide that comes with it. You have to shuck all the romantic bullshit overboard, and don't believe that you "know averything about" the other person. You don't, you can't, and he or she is in the same situation. It can be all wonderful one day, or one minute, and then all hell can break loose for no obvious reaon in the blink of an eye.

The day to day hell happens, but it's getting through it without the relationship cracking up and disintegrating that is what takes the effort and if the relationship is worth it, it will survive. Maybe. Because there are also times in the most solid of relationships that crap of an unbelievable kind will come along and destroy it. At the same time, that kind of crap can bring a couple back to together.

None of it is predictable. There are no hard and fast rules. It's hard work and what works for one couple doesn't for another one.

So, what the hell, I don't know, because now that I reread your question, I realise you ask "what makes a good relationship possible".

But what I do know is that taking the risk and attempting a serious relationship is totally worth it, when you have the feeling that is the right thing to do.

Maybe that is what you're really asking? I don't know...
Lurker
0 likes
The fact that two people are wanting and trying to have a good relationship.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Trust and Communication fortify a relationship of any kind, be it a friendship, or love partnership.
They keep love strong and build love. Communication builds trust, and trust builds the relationship.

They also come into play in the bedroom as well. biggrin Think on it heart
Lurker
0 likes

Rocco you forgot that Reddi Wip and Chocolate must be used with ...

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Knowing what you want before going into any relationship with anyone, what are your goals, where you are going in life and being open to compromise.

Once you know what you want then you are open to having a good relationship. Of course this is easier said than done, when you are dating in the beginning it is hard to come right out with your needs, for example, saying "look I want to fuck you senseless" on the first date. Of course you can't always say that. I read the body language and non verbal cues of my partner to see if he feels the same way just out of common courtesy, I am a bit old fashioned I guess. It takes time and patience to find out about the other partner and what his needs are but isn't that part of the mystery and fun of dating. And hey Rome wasn't built in a day. You also need to start off on the right foot, all cards on the table. It saves a lot of heartache later on down the track should relationship problems appear.

A good relationship is all about communication and we are all guilty of not always being open and honest with every partnership we have ever had. If you go into a relationship knowing what you want, 1/2 the battle is won. But upon saying that, you can only put in your 50% of the work in a relationship, your partner has to contribute the other 50%, any other combination means something is not working somewhere.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Respect and communication. That's it, folks.