Tone at work: Has it changed with the recent allegation of sexual harrassment

last reply
6 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Since the recent revelations of sexual harassment have been made, has there been a change
in the tone in your workplace?

I'm talking about everyday tone, banter, chit-chat, not sexual harassment.

I'm asking the same question in the ask the gals forum.

--------------------------
My personal experience is that, with rare exception, women are now "all business".

They don't ask how my kids are doing in college or will I see family for Thanksgiving or any other of the mundane,
innocuous questions people ask of co-workers.
0 likes
Not that I've noticed. Ontario, Canada, where I live, implemented new workplace health and safety laws a few years ago requiring mandatory training and reporting around abuse and harassment of all forms (sexual harassment, workplace bullying, etc.) so we have formal, mandatory training happening for current and new staff. My workplace is majority female (though that is shifting with time) and I haven't noticed any difference in how I interact with the women at this point. I have never actually heard of an actual case in any of our offices, though I'll concede that I don't always why someone has been let go so it is possible that people have been fired for harassment and I didn't know.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No change on my part. My employees still complain that I'm aloof and distant.
The Linebacker
0 likes
No. We have a great combination of family feel and professional work atmosphere. Actually anything sex-like is and has been something not tolerated.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
same as always, just treat one another as humans not sexes. Though admit, that I love looking at a nice ass, still
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
No. I work in an office where the two senior execs are men (50's, 70's) and the two juniors are women (20's, 40's). Just four people total. Nothing we discuss ever comes close to being a topic of a sexual nature.
Lurker
0 likes
Doesn't seem to. Men see a woman they want and go for it. Most of the women at the last place I was at seemed to welcome it. Over the past 25 years or so, I can only recall 2 times a guy was fired for it. I also can recall two times women were given the boot for it. I had several affairs working. I always just started by friendly conversation that I could slowly develop into dirty talk, but keep it tactful. There were plenty of women that gave it out freely in parked cars in the parking lot after second shift ended. Friday nights turned into drunken orgies out there. They would have to sleep it off in their cars. Many of the participants in the parking lot, both sexes, were married. It seemed to me that women that made a harassment issue were ones that saw an advantage by doing it. That or revenge for some tit for tat they were having.