The word panties vs undies

last reply
54 replies
5.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Site administrator
Quote by Shylass
Sorry, I know it's "Ask the Guys", but it doesn't stop the blokes answering our questions...

I call them knickers, mostly, unless I know there will be an American audience and it suits the writing. But I think so much erotica uses "panties" that I like something for us English who prefer the word "knickers". "Panties" always seems somehow false to me, as it's not naturally in my vocabulary. "Knickers" is earthier and matter-of-fact to me. I'd much rather a sexy man whispered, "Get your knickers off" than, "Take off your panties". The latter would just make me laugh (not in a good way).

Well done since I was going to mention why no reference to knickers since before I joined Lush I would never have referred to a ladies underwear as panties. Furthermore lol I would never have said Geez or Jeez either!.
Gingerbread Lover
Quote by simplyjohn

Well done since I was going to mention why no reference to knickers since before I joined Lush I would never have referred to a ladies underwear as panties. Furthermore lol I would never have said Geez or Jeez either!.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by golf_nut
True. Panties sounds more erotic and sexy. Unless it is granny panties, then the erection becomes flaccid in a heartbeat

There isn't anything wrong about grannie panties, I've fucked some of the best that were wearing them.
Active Ink Slinger
got to be panties.
Balloonmeister
I prefer the term Panties as being much more feminine than undies. Although I also think it is sexy as Hell for a British lady to refer to her Knickers ....
Have you ever had an "Airgasm"? Take a sexy ride in a hot air balloon and enjoy the view from a mile high.

Mile High Club in a Balloon
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by hotairgasm
Although I also think it is sexy as Hell for a British lady to refer to her Knickers ....

OMG I remember when the girls used to refer to anything unsexy as "oh they're like gym knickers!"
Advanced Wordsmith
I have no preference as long as they are sexy
But my question is: why is bra singular and panties plural?
Fun fact about this. The word 'panties' comes from a time when underwear were referred to as pants, and pants or trousers were just referred to as trousers, which I suppose they still are in some places. Those underwear were also much longer, sometimes past the knee, and did indeed resemble trousers. 'Panties' was sort of meant as a diminutive of 'pants', when they started to switch over in common usage. The original panties were designed as a more utilitarian underwear, by designer Ilsa Scaparrelli, though I may be misspelling or utterly destroying the name. They were first adopted in a major way by young women who rode bicycles. This actually notably aided female members of the French underground in Nazi occupied Paris.
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Active Ink Slinger
Give me Panties anytime ......?
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Lurker
panties sound more sexy to me as well
Rookie Scribe
Quote by garterbelt
Panties just sounds so sexy!!

PANTIES, in any style has such a sexy sound to it.
Lurker
panties sounds sexy underwear is a bit clinical
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by shelley2013
panties sounds sexier

I concur.. PANTIES FOR ME!! PANTIES ON MY HEAD!!

For my limey cousins in merry olde England KNICKERS AND STOCKINGS my dears!!
Active Ink Slinger
well im in England and panties is the one
I love panties
Completely agree. Although, I try not to overplay the word, if you use it too much, it loses that feeling.
Active Ink Slinger
I have a panty fetish so...I kinda have to vote 'panties'!
Story Verifier
Hell, undies can be under anything on anything and not necessarily a woman.

I prefer panties because that word snaps some very sexy images into my mind.
I am always a gentleman.
Lurker
Panties or knickers is my preference of name, depending on which part of the world you are from! I usually assosiate the term 'undies' as an abrieviation of the term's - underwear/underpants which could refer to either sex but usually mens underwear.
Lurker
To me knickers sounds better than panties , it sounds sexy so knickers for me .
Rookie Scribe
I was reared in the 1950-60's. Those days panties was the most intimate garment a girl wore.
To see her panties was the same as nowadays seeing her full nude body - at least where I lived!!
So panties is always the sexiest word for me!
Active Ink Slinger
I'm going to have to say, Panties
Lurker
I go with panties sounds sexier