The Use of the Word "Baby"

last reply
80 replies
8.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Quantum Tease
0 likes
Perhaps there's another connotation......

Lurker
0 likes
Instant turn off!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
I admit, I'm not the usual kind of lass. But something about the use of the word "Baby" when given to a grown woman or a man makes me want to throw up. There's something very Wrong about it in my head, I can't separate it from... well, a baby. "Babe" is marginally better, but still not great. I most often hear it when used to denote one's sexual partner, and it really grosses me out. Sorry.

I have nothing wrong with the use of nicknames, or things like lass, and lad, bird, mate, etc. But baby? Bleurgh.

Do you use the term baby/babe, and if so, why? Many thanks in advance to any who respond and help me to understand.

I love being called 'babe/baby' but under sincere scenarios only. Some women would use the term in a very patronising manner, that is something that disgusts me. The patronising aspect disgusts me, not the term itself.

When someone is showing genuine affection then I love these terms. Up until now, no woman has ever objected to me referring to them as 'babe/baby'.

Conventionally, the term 'baby' is used for a small child. But like many words in the current usage of English, 'babe/baby' are used to denote affection, love, and endearment.

Some may find this terminology revolting especially if they ever had a bad experience. Some may find it revolting if the mind is associating these terms with the above said conventional definition.

xx.
Quantum Tease
0 likes
Quote by trinket

You posted that under me on purpose lol. Bitch.

Alas! Would that I had actually thought of that!!
Site administrator
0 likes
Its all courses for horses .. no different to Dear or Hussy or Sweetie or Sweetheart or Sugar etc. etc. Some have no problem with the names and some do. I see most of them as a term of endearment and thats nice. (Well ok perhaps not Hussy).
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
It makes my skin crawl when the term "Babe" or "Baby" is used prematurely. It sounds cheap and assumes too much. However in the southern region of the US, it is not unusual for the term to be used socially. The girl at McDonalds can call you baby or honey without thinking. That irritates me too. It sounds condescending even though I know that is not the intention. My husband calls me baby at times and it is comforting to me. He knows that when I say baby it generally means I want something. He's not the type to say babe--thank Gawd.
? A True Story ?
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I have never been called that from my husband. Have been called that in cyber play.

It really has no affect on me either way.

xo
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by lynnwitt
Perhaps there's another connotation......

Baa! Ram! Ewe! (I LOVE this movie)

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rxtales
In the past, I have hated being called babe, and wouldn't tolerate it. My boyfriend calls me babe, or baby and I don't mind anymore. My mother has always called me babe, and I have found it odd

My bf calls me babe and I love it! Anyone else using it comes across as condescending, doubly so for baby.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
Its all courses for horses .. no different to Dear or Hussy or Sweetie or Sweetheart or Sugar etc. etc. (Well ok perhaps not Hussy).

Hussy has a slightly different denotation than your other examples.

In fact, if you called a woman a hussy there's a good chance you'd be going home with your tail between your legs and your balls in a party bag.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not particularly fond of being called baby or calling my wife baby, but if it happens, neither of us is militant about it. I have my pet name for her, which is an endearing derivative of her real name. What gets under my skin is being called Hun. I hate that, especially from someone I don't know.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by trinket

Never call me Babe. (Except HRH Spritelette Princess of Figging and all things kinky). sprite can call me Babe.

I like being called baby but only by my SO. I don't think of it as anything sinister at all. It's just an endearment.

actually, i call her lots of things. babe is the only one i'm going to share in public, though. she blushes easily smile

keeping to the subject, my wife can call be babe, or baby. Evie can get away with baby. Kiera calls me babes, and i haven't killed her for it (yet). i think that about covers it. anyone else gets smacked around.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
The term 'bab' is a standard term when greeting people where I grew up, so I admit that I do call people 'bab' and I have called several female friends 'bab' or 'babe', but that is not in any sexual or ownership connotation.

It could be worse, I could call them 'hun'...
Kiss My Wiggleass Baby
0 likes
I use 'baby' as a term of endearment for someone I care for and I like being called it too, I would use 'babe/babes' very occasionally and mainly for my girlfriends, I'm happy for them to call me that but don't like it from someone I care for really.
Happiness will never come to those who don’t appreciate what they already have
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by PanJinlian
The term 'bab' is a standard term when greeting people where I grew up, so I admit that I do call people 'bab' and I have called several female friends 'bab' or 'babe', but that is not in any sexual or ownership connotation.

It could be worse, I could call them 'hun'...

Here is Maryland, Hun is considered a term of affection and endearment.... So yes, it can be worse!!!!!
0 likes
I only use "Baby" only for my special someone.
When with close friends I use: Hun, babe, sweetie, love or lovely are my terms of endearment.....

as for me I like being called Baby, cutie, sweetie, hun and etc... only by my close friends and of course a my special someone
Lurker
0 likes
I like the word 'baby' used as affectionate nickname but not in a patronising tone
Lurker
0 likes
As long as you care, really care about me you can call me anything I don't mind.