Login

Best nicknames in sports?

last reply
36 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
My boyfriend and his friend were talking the other day during the Texans' game about how the team's defense is nicknamed "Bulls on Parade", after the Rage Against The Machine song. I thought that was kind of cool, so I asked about a few other cool nicknames in sports and they came up with that guy for the Lions they call "Megatron", which I think is awesome...

Anyway, I was wondering what are some of the coolest nicknames in sports? Either for players, teams, groups of players, anything...
"I find that a duck's opinion of me is largely influenced by whether or not I have bread". - Mitch Hedberg
Active Ink Slinger
Charles Barkely... Round Mound of Rebound

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
Better yet. Tyrann Mathieu the Honey Badger. Honey Badger don't care...

Active Ink Slinger
I always liked the name Fred "The Crime Dog" McGriff.

and there was a baseball player who's nickname was "El Guapo". No idea who it was and what it means but I like it, LOL!

And although they are real names I like Rusty Kuntz and Ron Tugnutt. imagine going through life with those names.

BTW, I do think the Anaheim Mighty Ducks is stupid. Why would you name a pro hockey team after that stupid movie?
The Linebacker
One of the all-time greats. Mean Joe Green.

The Linebacker
An old Georgia Bulldog great, Eddie 'Meatcleaver' Weaver, seen waving to the crowd at this reunion of the 1980 National Champion team in Athens, GA at Sanford Stadium.

Wild at Heart
Quote by Nikki703

and there was a baseball player who's nickname was "El Guapo". No idea who it was and what it means but I like it, LOL!

And although they are real names I like Rusty Kuntz and Ron Tugnutt. imagine going through life with those names.

BTW, I do think the Anaheim Mighty Ducks is stupid. Why would you name a pro hockey team after that stupid movie?

That is one of my nicknames too, means "the handsome one".
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Magical_felix

That is one of my nicknames too, means "the handsome one".

HAHA!! I googled it, his name is Rich Garces, pitched for Boston Red Sox.

The "HANDSOME ONE" Huh? EL GUAPO seems more fitting, LOL.

But from now on you can be Magic "El Guapo" if you like!!
Wild at Heart
Quote by Nikki703

HAHA!! I googled it, his name is Rich Garces, pitched for Boston Red Sox.

The "HANDSOME ONE" Huh? EL GUAPO seems more fitting, LOL.

But from now on you can be Magic "El Guapo" if you like!!

That's tony gwynn! thats an aztec uniform!
Lurker
"MAGIC" JOHNSON

"AIR" MICHAEL JORDAN

"THE HUMAN HIGHLIGHT FILM" DOMINIQUE WILKINS

“KID DYNAMITE” MIKE TYSON
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Magical_felix

This is El Guapo (Bas Rutten)

Active Ink Slinger
"El Potro" Alvarez - He is a Venezuelan Baseball player/Regeatton singer (lol yeah that last part is sadly true)!!

El Potro means like alpha male horse i guess, and when he is playing the fans of the other team call him la Yegua = Female horse! lol

EDIT Here is a video of him singing, He is better at singing than playing!! (ok he plays in the biggest opponent to the team i go for)
Lurker
Troy Polamalu "The Tasmanian Devil" (sigh)

Lurker
Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez

Active Ink Slinger
Quote by MexicanGoddess
Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez

JAJAJAJAJAJA i truly thought Chicharito was his last name!!
Wild at Heart
Quote by MexicanGoddess
Troy Polamalu "The Tasmanian Devil" (sigh)

Aye cabron, esta guay me da miedo. Pinche cabron tan mas feo. Cabello de chamuco.
Active Ink Slinger
SHAUN WHITE - THE FLYING TOMATO

Lurker
Quote by Magical_felix

Aye cabron, esta guay me da miedo. Pinche cabron tan mas feo. Cabello de chamuco.

No mames güey! Es un chulazo de hombre ♥ (Sigh......)
Lurker
My two faves already taken, I am still recovering from The Mile High Mishap.

So, another fav Steeler nickname is the "Immaculate Reception."

Currently, I'm digging "RG3." Simple while sounding ominous. RG3 steps back, I'd expect a shape shifting android at the helm.
Lurker
Megatron

Honey Badger

Iceman

Dr. J

Black Mamba

Dream Team
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Magical_felix

Really? It came up with Rich "El Guapo" Garces. Maybe Gywnn ate "El Guapo".

Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Nikki703

Really? It came up with Rich "El Guapo" Garces. Maybe Gywnn ate "El Guapo".

Active Ink Slinger
Again for Charles Barkley. I actually seen him say this in a commercial he was doing. One of his nicknames was always
Sir Charles. Then after he put on a bunch of weight. He was being called. Sircumference.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by Nikki703

Rusty Kuntz and Ron Tugnutt are great names. As is the name for a former NASCAR driver, Dick Trickle. Hahaha. They'd mention him on SportsCenter every race, even if he finished in last place. Just so they could say his name.

Active Ink Slinger
Quote by lafayettemister

Rusty Kuntz and Ron Tugnutt are great names. As is the name for a former NASCAR driver, Dick Trickle. Hahaha. They'd mention him on SportsCenter every race, even if he finished in last place. Just so they could say his name.

HAHA!! Dick Trickle sounds like a urinary tract disorder. "Im sorry sir but you have a mild case of Involuntary Urination or Enuresis, more commonly known as Dick Trickle"
Artistic Tart
Quote by latinfoxy

JAJAJAJAJAJA i truly thought Chicharito was his last name!!

LOL. My guy man-crushes Chicharito big time. One of my Christmas gifts for him was the red Chicharito ManU shirt, so I guess I'm enabling it.

On the local front, I'll nominate Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington, known here in North Texas as the "Old-School Brother"

Active Ink Slinger
Quote by LadyX

LOL. My guy man-crushes Chicharito big time. One of my Christmas gifts for him was the red Chicharito ManU shirt, so I guess I'm enabling it.

lol yeah i have some friends that really like him, but i just never gave it a second thought for me it was his last name hehehe now i feel silly!!!

Quote by writingvixen
Messi

Sorry Vixen but Messi is NOT a nickname, Messi is his Last name and a God