Are gritty female voices attractive?

last reply
15 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I've watched some movies lately that have actresses with gritty voices - they either talk like that all the time, or there are some parts that dip into this sand paper quality. . .I wondered if guys actually liked that type of thing.

An example is Kim Carnes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPOIS5taqA8
- or maybe Joan Rivers (just the voice, now - not her physically)
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'd say I'm pretty neutral to it. It's kind of a 'cutesy flaw' to me, so I don't really bother. It's similar to having a beauty mark on the cheek ; it neither adds or substracts to the person's beauty, but it provides them an interesting uniqueness which we all display anyway with our different features.

If you'd like to listen to what scientists found out to be the most attractive male/female pitch, you can scroll down this study to hear it :

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/04/why-women-like-deep-voices-and-men-prefer-high-ones/

Me and my studies...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
gotta go with cute and innocent voices personally
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I'd say I'm pretty neutral to it. It's kind of a 'cutesy flaw' to me, so I don't really bother. It's similar to having a beauty mark on the cheek ; it neither adds or substracts to the person's beauty, but it provides them an interesting uniqueness which we all display anyway with our different features.

If you'd like to listen to what scientists found out to be the most attractive male/female pitch, you can scroll down this study to hear it :

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/04/why-women-like-deep-voices-and-men-prefer-high-ones/

Me and my studies...

Hmm - that is interesting. It's pitched almost to a laugh.

Of course, no surprise about the male voice - as I wrote several stories which centered around the allure of the deeper tones. . . for males I find the gritty voice can be sexy - but not if it's out of pure laziness. Females? No. Of course, I'm straight so that doesn't hold as much weight as a male's opinion. LOL
Lurker
0 likes
I might have when younger, but now? Not as a rule. They to me come off as a bit trailer park and smoked too much. Now a smooth "deeper" sultry voice for a female can be sexy, but I am not into gravel. Overall though I think I tend to favor a sweeter, feminine voice.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by JohnC
I might have when younger, but now? Not as a rule. They to me come off as a bit trailer park and smoked too much. Now a smooth "deeper" sultry voice for a female can be sexy, but I am not into gravel. Overall though I think I tend to favor a sweeter, feminine voice.

This.

Unless the southern drawl on a female can be considered "gritty."

But yea. I love a sweeter, feminine voice as well. As an example, Nora Jones has one of the more beautiful "non-accent" voices on the planet, both when singing and when plain ole' talking.

Ah, here we go.

KT Tunstall has what I think you'd call a sultry "gritty" voice. Though the grit comes into play more when singing than anything.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

This.

Unless the southern drawl on a female can be considered "gritty."

But yea. I love a sweeter, feminine voice as well. As an example, Nora Jones has one of the more beautiful "non-accent" voices on the planet, both when singing and when plain ole' talking.

Ah, here we go.

KT Tunstall has what I think you'd call a sultry "gritty" voice. Though the grit comes into play more when singing than anything.

MM this has to be the case , that is, that men go for women with sultry voices can be "gritty" like sand paper, or smooth like satin. There is a whole genre of club singer we call "a torch singer," and I travel far and pay heartily to hear them.
Some examples are Joe Henderson, Julie London, Diana Krall(!!!!), Nora Jones when she turns on the "throaty, breathy" sound.
The combination of the two can be "killer hot" like Stacey Kent or Coralie Clement or think of the very first moment of Britney's voice in her very earliest songs, she make an "embroche" that sounds like the pure of a kitten.
Now the video on this is lousy but just listen to the voices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzDYqaihNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEl5Z5DEDw
Lurker
0 likes
Joan Rivers, no.

Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) YES
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Widowlicker
Joan Rivers, no.

I'll agree with that - Stevie's got a husky voice, not a gritty one

Give me a sultry/husky voiced gal and my knees turn to jello

Scratchy/gritty voice and I want earplugs
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Widowlicker
Joan Rivers, no.

Yep and maybe throw Angie Harmon's voice in there too
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not always but I'd take that anyday over squeaky and shrill.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Demi Moore type of raspy is kind of sexy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes many are, but not the ones who as Larry the cable guy does his this is Debby from the phone number in his pocket after a night in the bar.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by EirikrThorson

I'll agree with that - Stevie's got a husky voice, not a gritty one

Give me a sultry/husky voiced gal and my knees turn to jello

Scratchy/gritty voice and I want earplugs
when you say "husky" i associate that with a deeper voice. On that note, Cher comes to mind.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like sultry voices. Francesca from ghost ship, Milla Jovovich, Oliva Wilde, Summer Glau. Then raspy but girly, like the lead actresses in Step up 2 and 3.