Would you convert to his religion?

last reply
22 replies
2.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
If he asked you to convert to his religion, (any relition) and follow the rituals, precepts, and the whole thing, would you do it?
Lurker
0 likes
Already have, but not because he asked.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I hope you don't mind if a man answers.
First it would depend on the canon's of the religon. If they were such that I could not truly accept, then I would have to decline as a point of principle. Also, I might find it difficult to commit my life and fidelity to a woman who would make it an unnegotiatable requirement. Such a decision by me to accept under those conditions would make me a hypocrite to my own spirtual beliefs.
So I guess unless it was a religon that spoke to me and it was more a request than a demand, I would have to say no
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No. I'm Catholic and have no interest in converting
Lurker
0 likes
Nope. I am an atheist by conviction.
Lurker
0 likes
No, I'm not religious at all, and 1) I think converting to a religion for a relationship is the wrong reason to do it and 2) if we cant accept me like this then he can get bent.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Very unlikely. I'm spiritual, but not religious.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by She

Ditto She.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MMonroe
No, I'm not religious at all, and 1) I think converting to a religion for a relationship is the wrong reason to do it and 2) if we cant accept me like this then he can get bent.

Again I know this is the ask the gals section but I have to agree with MM on this one and I know my girlfriend would agree to.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by Alissa
Already have, but not because he asked.
ya, I can't think of a worse reason to change or accept religions than because the guy you sleep with believes it!

But I know people do it, I just never could. If thats what is most important to him, then I am not a good person for him in the first place.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Let's make it a bit more interesting. I know hb74 isn't very religious but if I want to be able to actually act like her bf in her country I not only need to marry her but should convert to her religion on paper. Obviously this is backwards and retarded but if that's the only way I can actually sleep with her in the same room without the risk of getting arrested, and actually being able to meet her parents then I shall consider it seriously.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by thepainter
if I want to be able to actually act like her bf in her country I not only need to marry her but should convert to her religion on paper.

Hell ya, if I was in love and wanted to be with a guy, and his wacked-out country demanded that I 'convert' by signing something or going through some ceremony, then I would do it in a heartbeat. It makes no difference anyway, you just go through the motions that some government requires. It is necessary in life sometimes, you jump through hoops and you play along to get what you need.
Lurker
0 likes
Hell No...I had a catholic boyfriend once...I had to go to communion with his family...it was the longest hour of my life(I think it was an hour-years passed I think lol)...All that standing, kneeling and muttering in latin did my head in plus I kept on standing and sitting at the wrong time(giggles)...I would never do that to a partner but I if my possible/future children wanted to embrace religion I wouldn't stand in their way
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would not convert. My husband (former) had a vastly different beliefs than I do. I certainly did not realize how much that would play into our marriage. It wasn't the final reason for our ultimate divorce, but was certainly one of the factors.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hell no
Sydney
♥♥xx♥♥
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never been an issue, and I'd never do it. If his faith is more important than me, he's the wrong guy. Hubby might go to church every...eleven months or so, but he's never demanded it or even asked it of me. Just one of the many reasons I married him.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Lurker
0 likes
Religion does not play a big part in my life and I can't imagine it ever would do. So no I wouldn't convert to my partner's religion what ever he was, I would be insincere if I did it just to please him or his family.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't trust religion and i don't think i ever could, so i'll just stay a hedonistic agnostic, if he or she can't accept that then ishouldn't be with them.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
OFcourse it all depends on his religion.
If he was a strong enough believer and good enough to turn me to his religion, I might.
But that is only if I believe. I don't think anyone gets anything out of someone who's not interested taking part in the rituals.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No, i wouldn't. I may not go to church every Sunday (it might burn around me), but I believe in my religion.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Quote by thepainter
if I want to be able to actually act like her bf in her country I not only need to marry her but should convert to her religion on paper.

Hell ya, if I was in love and wanted to be with a guy, and his wacked-out country demanded that I 'convert' by signing something or going through some ceremony, then I would do it in a heartbeat. It makes no difference anyway, you just go through the motions that some government requires. It is necessary in life sometimes, you jump through hoops and you play along to get what you need.

Well said, LadyX
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Quote by She

Ditto She.

Same as these two.

I don't believe in any gods and I have enough respect for religions to not demean them by having a false belief. Besides, I don't think I could ever love a person that is deep into religion.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't change for anyone as drastically as this matter. I understand small changes but religion changes a person completely. I shouldn't be compelled to convert to a religion because of a man, but due to the fact that I feel a need to.