"No Ladies" Allowed...

last reply
7 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"Good Ale, Raw Onions and No Ladies," was the motto of McSorley's Old Ale House in Manhattan for more than 100 years.

In 1970, a lawsuit by the National Organization for Women forced McSorley's to open its doors to customers of both sexes.

What's you feeling about male-only taverns?

**Crikey, maybe this should have gone in "The Pub?"**
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ThisOldHippie
"Good Ale, Raw Onions and No Ladies," was the motto of McSorley's Old Ale House in Manhattan for more than 100 years.

In 1970, a lawsuit by the National Organization for Women, forced McSorley's to open its doors to customers of both sexes.

What's you feeling about male-only taverns?

**Crikey, maybe this should have gone in "The Pub?"**

Actually the Think Tank may have been better.

I am a guy and I wonder why any business would purposely cut their client base in half because that half doesn't have a penis? Also, one reason why I like to go out to bars is to meet women. So unless McSorley's was a women hating gay bar, why wouldn't they want women in there?
Detention Seeker
0 likes
In the U.K in some parts of the Country there are some working men's clubs and private clubs that still allocated bars within the clubs as men only. Many women respect this although they could actually by law use these bars. The reason the bars are set up this way is so men can use swear words and such like without causing offense to any ladies.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kyliekained
In the U.K in some parts of the Country there are some working men's clubs and private clubs that still allocated bars within the clubs as men only. Many women respect this although they could actually by law use these bars. The reason the bars are set up this way is so men can use swear words and such like without causing offense to any ladies.

Really? Offensive swear words? I think if that was used as a defense in the civil courts in the United States they would be laughed out of the courthouse.
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Again not explained well in many drinking establishments in the U.K we have separate bars or rooms Like lounge bar, public bar etc unlike in the U.S. where a bar is often just one single area.
Lurker
0 likes
Why not leave them to it? Question for the girls; Would you really want to mingle with the type of crowd that would shun you and rather you go somewhere else, unless it's for being an IRL troll of course...

That said, I'm not a fan of them at all. The only reason I'd go to one would be curiosity to see what kind of people actually stay in these places.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by elitfromnorth
Why not leave them to it? Question for the girls; Would you really want to mingle with the type of crowd that would shun you and rather you go somewhere else, unless it's for being an IRL troll of course...

That said, I'm not a fan of them at all. The only reason I'd go to one would be curiosity to see what kind of people actually stay in these places.

In essence I agree with you Elit but I still go back to my original post of why would somebody start a business that is so dependent on repete clientele and then exclude half of its possible clientele because they don't have a penis? Talk about planning to fail!

Sure the bar may have started over a century ago with a viable business model but I doubt that would work today. McSorley's would have had to start admitting women or it would have gone out of business.
Lurker
0 likes
I appreciate that it does seem a little silly to effectively cut your customer base in half...

That being said, I think it should be entirely up to the owner of the establishment as to what kind of business he wants to run and they shouldn't be penalised for their choices.

Just as some places may exclude women, others don't accomodate families. You just find somewhere else to go.

What I really, really fail to understand, is why anyone would file a law suit over this. If I'd been around I'd have told them to find some other way to entertain themselves.

I wonder how many women actually frequented this place afterwards.