knowing within 5 minutes

last reply
39 replies
5.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
You always hear women say that "they know within 5 mins of meeting a man, whether or not they will sleep with him". Is that true?
Lurker
0 likes
Certainly it is, but then some those upon reevaluation look better as the evening continues. Same you your guys?
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I would say that 90% of the time this is true.
For me, any interaction with a guy that lasts longer than say, ordering a latte at starbucks, has me considering (even subconsciously) whether I would want to sleep with him.

There is a 10% window though, where a great personality and clever mind will make him more attractive to me over time, and possibly sway my opinion.

It can also go the other way, where a guy I initially thought I'd want to sleep with becomes repulsive to me based on what he says or how he acts after meeting.

But for the most part, I do believe that basic attraction is an instantaneous thing.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree about the 90% of the time you can tell. I firmly believe if you can look in his eyes you can tell what kind of guy he is.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Doll in what she say's, for me it is instand if I look at a man and he takes me breath away when I look at him. Then if he comes up to talk to me that 5 mins can make me still want him more or just completly make me feel cold.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As for me.. I gave up the 5 minute rule in high school.. I finally figured out that just knowing someone and being attracted to them wasn't enough.. no matter how impersonal and "for fun only" you try to keep it.. it changes that relationship.. and more often than not.. there is damage and a price to pay...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
You always hear women say that "they know within 5 mins of meeting a man, whether or not they will sleep with him". Is that true?

Are you asking if it's true that you hear women ask that, or are you asking if the assertion is true?

Perhaps it's true you 'always' or 'often' hear that. Whether or not the statement as uttered is true is a different matter.

Maybe they know within 5 minutes that they would 'like' to sleep with a man, or would consider it. Whether or not the person in question actually means it, or goes through with it, is usually to be gauged on a case by case basis.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BigRod
As for me.. I gave up the 5 minute rule in high school.. I finally figured out that just knowing someone and being attracted to them wasn't enough.. no matter how impersonal and "for fun only" you try to keep it.. it changes that relationship.. and more often than not.. there is damage and a price to pay...

Huh? I think you might have misinterpreted the topic.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by DamonX

Are you asking if it's true that you hear women ask that, or are you asking if the assertion is true?

Perhaps it's true you 'always' or 'often' hear that. Whether or not the statement as uttered is true is a different matter.

Maybe they know within 5 minutes that they would 'like' to sleep with a man, or would consider it. Whether or not the person in question actually means it, or goes through with it, is usually to be gauged on a case by case basis.

Wow. I thought it was a pretty simple question.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Most of the time, I think it's been true for me. I can think of one that seemed like a real asshole but then after a while I started to like him- partially because of what an asshole he was but that's a different conversation, lol. But mostly, yes the first impression has been the right one in terms of whether I like them in that way.

Quote by BigRod
As for me.. I gave up the 5 minute rule in high school.. I finally figured out that just knowing someone and being attracted to them wasn't enough.. no matter how impersonal and "for fun only" you try to keep it.. it changes that relationship.. and more often than not.. there is damage and a price to pay..

So you're saying that even if you knew after 5 minutes that you probably would have sex with them, you refused to do that because you feared that you would get hurt or they would? If thats the case, then I guess the 5 minute rule- if we can call it that- still applies to you even if you choose not to act on it.

Quote by Gypsymoth
Maybe they know within 5 minutes that they would 'like' to sleep with a man, or would consider it. Whether or not the person in question actually means it, or goes through with it, is usually to be gauged on a case by case basis

This sounds like the same kind of thing as BigRod, where your decision after 5 minutes is mostly correct, and so if you have that attraction and choose not to do anything about it, it's not the same as saying "well, after five minutes I was sexually attracted but then it fizzled, so the 5 minute thing is false."

Did I understand those right?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
5 minutes is enough time for me to know if I want to have sex with her if were just talking about something casual. These days I know better than to assume that and have become a little more careful. I usually don't even try to sleep with a girl on a first date unless there is some understanding during the date that it would just be casual
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod

Actually I understood it fully.. what I said in a much simpler form is that my criteria when meeting someone isn't "will I fuck them" first and get to know them second.. one of my friends in the Navy once said I'd fuck mud if it moved.. back then I probably would have.. but I think as you grow older and more mature you'll find that same 5 minutes is now 15....
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I would say that in general it takes only seconds to decide whether you are attracted to that person.... I guess this question is not really about first impressions but I personally rely on them. They usually end up being correct. There is a fascinating book called Blink by Malcom Gladwell. It's about those conclusions that we reach almost instantly.I wonder if any of this would apply with people you don't actually "meet"....say, our Lush friends.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Quote by DamonX

Most of the time, I think it's been true for me. I can think of one that seemed like a real asshole but then after a while I started to like him- partially because of what an asshole he was but that's a different conversation, lol. But mostly, yes the first impression has been the right one in terms of whether I like them in that way.

Quote by BigRod
As for me.. I gave up the 5 minute rule in high school.. I finally figured out that just knowing someone and being attracted to them wasn't enough.. no matter how impersonal and "for fun only" you try to keep it.. it changes that relationship.. and more often than not.. there is damage and a price to pay..

So you're saying that even if you knew after 5 minutes that you probably would have sex with them, you refused to do that because you feared that you would get hurt or they would? If thats the case, then I guess the 5 minute rule- if we can call it that- still applies to you even if you choose not to act on it.

Quote by Gypsymoth
Maybe they know within 5 minutes that they would 'like' to sleep with a man, or would consider it. Whether or not the person in question actually means it, or goes through with it, is usually to be gauged on a case by case basis

This sounds like the same kind of thing as BigRod, where your decision after 5 minutes is mostly correct, and so if you have that attraction and choose not to do anything about it, it's not the same as saying "well, after five minutes I was sexually attracted but then it fizzled, so the 5 minute thing is false."

Did I understand those right?

Not fair Lady.. you are applying the fact that as a man we fuck everything in general.. so it isn't really a big leap that since our eyes are directly connected to our johnson that it could be assumed that a woman would be bagged and tagged within 5 minutes.. truth is we can track a perfume trail out of Safeway and only get a glimpse of her from the corner of our eyes and in our minds we not only will do her, but her sister too.. that being said.. I guess I was hoping for something better in me...
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by BigRod
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod

Actually I understood it fully.. what I said in a much simpler form is that my criteria when meeting someone isn't "will I fuck them" first and get to know them second.. one of my friends in the Navy once said I'd fuck mud if it moved.. back then I probably would have.. but I think as you grow older and more mature you'll find that same 5 minutes is now 15....

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I think the question is more along the lines of after 5 minutes, can someone come to the conclusion that:
a) "I would have sex with this person if things play out right"
....OR
b) "there is no way I will ever have sex with this person"...

I don't think anyone is saying that 5 minutes are all that is required to make a decision to have sex (ok, at least not for most women, and probably most men as well).

But as a woman, when I first meet a man and have a conversation, sexual attraction does flash through my mind. That's not to say that if the green-light is on for me, that it's a guarantee I will want to have sex with him a half hour later (or even a week later) after spending more time talking to him. But I think this Q is more about first impressions.

Like if you go out on a blind date with someone, do you know within 5 min, if there is any chance you might end up in bed together. Can one or the other be ruled out this quickly?
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by BigRod
truth is we can track a perfume trail out of Safeway and only get a glimpse of her from the corner of our eyes and in our minds we not only will do her, but her sister too.. that being said.. I guess I was hoping for something better in me...

That's funny, BigRod- and I don't mean to say that you are a dog like that. You seem like a gentleman, a thinking man with deep feelings, so it's not a swipe, trust me. My only point was that it looks like people mostly agree that the attraction happens quick, if not 5, then like WMM said, maybe within 15.

If you think maturity keeps you from always acting on it, thats something else.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Quote by BigRod
truth is we can track a perfume trail out of Safeway and only get a glimpse of her from the corner of our eyes and in our minds we not only will do her, but her sister too.. that being said.. I guess I was hoping for something better in me...

That's funny, BigRod- and I don't mean to say that you are a dog like that. You seem like a gentleman, a thinking man with deep feelings, so it's not a swipe, trust me. My only point was that it looks like people mostly agree that the attraction happens quick, if not 5, then like WMM said, maybe within 15.

If you think maturity keeps you from always acting on it, thats something else.

no offense taken Lady.. it's all open discussion in here so I appreciate and respect everyone's input regardless of the subject.. and in it's purest form you are probably more right than me.. we can be attracted to someone from 50 feet across a crowded room.. which usually ends up in attempting to meet that someone.. soooo.. bagged... tagged... guilty...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I think the question is more along the lines of after 5 minutes, can someone come to the conclusion that:
a) "I would have sex with this person if things play out right"
....OR
b) "there is no way I will ever have sex with this person"...

I don't think anyone is saying that 5 minutes are all that is required to make a decision to have sex (ok, at least not for most women, and probably most men as well).

But as a woman, when I first meet a man and have a conversation, sexual attraction does flash through my mind. That's not to say that if the green-light is on for me, that it's a guarantee I will want to have sex with him a half hour later (or even a week later) after spending more time talking to him. But I think this Q is more about first impressions.

Like if you go out on a blind date with someone, do you know within 5 min, if there is any chance you might end up in bed together. Can one or the other be ruled out this quickly?

Thank you!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BigRod
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod

This response still indicates that you don't understand the question. It has nothing to do with "fucking someone first and getting to know them second".

I've actually never heard of the "5 minute rule" being applied to men anyways though. Read Dancing_doll's clarification if you require further explanation.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod

This response still indicates that you don't understand the question. It has nothing to do with "fucking someone first and getting to know them second".

I've actually never heard of the "5 minute rule" being applied to men anyways though. Read Dancing_doll's clarification if you require further explanation.

hahahaha... really? too funny.. apparently with the number of elementary questions you keep asking in the forums you haven't heard of much about anything and are looking to be educated in the finer points of relationships by those of us who are far more sophisticated.. be that as it may.. my apologies for intruding into your thread.. please forgive my inappropriate replies as the rantings of a failing mind.. and bid you good journey on your endeavors...
Lurker
0 likes
I think its true! maybe less time depending on looks lol oops theres my vain/shallow side
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BigRod

hahahaha... really? too funny.. apparently with the number of elementary questions you keep asking in the forums you haven't heard of much about anything and are looking to be educated in the finer points of relationships by those of us who are far more sophisticated.. be that as it may.. my apologies for intruding into your thread.. please forgive my inappropriate replies as the rantings of a failing mind.. and bid you good journey on your endeavors...

Yes, please impart your vast, aged wisdom upon us young, naive unsophisticated children.

Look man, I meant no offence. I never expected a simple thread like this to cause any controversy. There is a common saying among woman "that they know within 5 mins whether or not the man they meet is considered a viable sexual partner". It's pretty common, but If you haven't heard that, well I understand. I brought it up for a fun little discussion, nothing more. Normally, I encourage both males and females to respond, but this one doesn;t really appy to men.

Realize that most of the threads I post are to have fun, sexy conversations with others. I don't post them to "learn" because I'm so much less "unsophisticated" as you seem to think.

I actually haven't even looked at your profile, but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about this age thing. Feel free to post on my threads (if they are not too elementary for you). But let's remove the condescending attitude regarding your supposed age-related wisdom. If I ever need any advice regarding the "finer points of relationships" I'll be sure to let you know though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Quote by BigRod

Yes, please impart your vast, aged wisdom upon us young, naive unsophisticated children.

Look man, I meant no offence. I never expected a simple thread like this to cause any controversy. There is a common saying among woman "that they know within 5 mins whether or not the man they meet is considered a viable sexual partner". It's pretty common, but If you haven't heard that, well I understand. I brought it up for a fun little discussion, nothing more. Normally, I encourage both males and females to respond, but this one doesn;t really appy to men.

Realize that most of the threads I post are to have fun, sexy conversations with others. I don't post them to "learn" because I'm so much less "unsophisticated" as you seem to think.

I actually haven't even looked at your profile, but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about this age thing. Feel free to post on my threads (if they are not too elementary for you). But let's remove the condescending attitude regarding your supposed age-related wisdom. If I ever need any advice regarding the "finer points of relationships" I'll be sure to let you know though.

Damon.. you couldn't be more right.. my fault at all levels.. and I appreciate you stirring the forums.. keeps a multitude of topics flowing and generates energy in Lush.. take care..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would say that if I am not attracted to a guy right away, it's going to be much more difficult for him to get me into bed. There are some things, like a great sense of humor that can get me interested later, but as far as pure magnatism, I either feel it or I don't.
Lurker
0 likes
well I met my LDL online and I knew within a few minutes that this person that I had just met would be the start of something big. It was they way he chatted with me and just how much we had in common with liking music and just being so intune with each other's thought so instantly it blew my mind and knew then that this would be something really special.
We have met about three times I went on holiday within 7 months of meeting wow, when I think back to that It makes me thing wow amazing ha ha. Since knowing him we have not had more than a couple of days on not staying in contact regardless of the distance between us.
what will happen with us in the future I have no idea yet!
Story Teller
0 likes
Yes...it is in the eyes...whether or not the attraction is there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not so sure about that, particularly in a situation where you have regular contact with someone. First impressions matter, but they can be overcome by consistent personality. Other traits come through, and someone earlier dismissed can grow more attractive with time.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TransitionalMan
I'm not so sure about that, particularly in a situation where you have regular contact with someone. First impressions matter, but they can be overcome by consistent personality. Other traits come through, and someone earlier dismissed can grow more attractive with time.

so true TransitionalMan.

I believe if a woman wants to "fuck" ... she definitely knows, because she is seeking it out ... Lucky Guy!!

Van