Girls and Dress Codes at School

last reply
14 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
1 like
Lurker
0 likes
Usually at the beginning of the school year and at the end, I'll see stories where girls are challenging the dress code at school. Recently, there was even a group of girls at a Catholic Girls school protesting to bring BACK the uniform skirt after the school gave up and went to pants only. Most often the girls at public schools are quoted saying something along the lines of "boys should just look elsewhere" or "I'm not responsible for their hormones," etc., etc....

Your thoughts? Opinions from your own experiences? Did you dress for your own comfort and likes or were you trying to attract attention for sexual or flirtatious purpose?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
In high school, I was never the attention whore I am now, so I never dressed provocatively or protested the dress code. I had to get up early every day and tend to the horses, muck the stalls, and by the time I had to get to school, I was usually still wearing the work jeans I wore working in the stable. I probably smelled like horse too. lol My twin was the one who dressed for success in high school since she rarely pulled her weight in the barn in the mornings.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe most girls had the couple of days a year when they just said fuck it and got all dolled up but I think most of us just dressed for comfort. I was always getting in trouble for wearing tank tops with spaghetti straps or foregoing a bra or wearing leggings without a shirt covering my ass or having on a pair of shorts/skirt that didn't extend past my fingertips. I just really didn't give a fuck, I just wanted to be comfortable. Looking back now it's just another way society punishes women for the shortcomings of men. Since Timmy that sits behind me gets hard at the sight of my sunburnt shoulder, I was the one being pulled out of class... yea alright ?
0 likes
My style of dressing has never changed.
I don't wear leggings out and about as I'm not a lazy dresser.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DazzlingLove
... Looking back now it's just another way society punishes women for the shortcomings of men. Since Timmy that sits behind me gets hard at the sight of my sunburnt shoulder, I was the one being pulled out of class... yea alright ?

I get that. Like I mentioned it is a reason a lot of girls in the articles say. I guess there is no equivalent way that guys dress? I'm being a bit sarcastic here of course but what if the really great looking guys wore Speedos and half shirts?

Is there even a counter to this argument that would make it more fair for straight females? Men just cover their bodies more I guess?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Beffer
In high school, I was never the attention whore I am now, so I never dressed provocatively or protested the dress code. I had to get up early every day and tend to the horses, muck the stalls, and by the time I had to get to school, I was usually still wearing the work jeans I wore working in the stable. I probably smelled like horse too. lol My twin was the one who dressed for success in high school since she rarely pulled her weight in the barn in the mornings.

Some years ago I saw a pair of farm girls in a rural grocery/resturant/hardware store. Below the waist they had rubber Wellingtons on & heavy canvas work trousers both splattered with gunk. Above the waist they were wearing spaggeti strap tops with a touch of lace around the top edge. Some subtle sparkly stuff in the fabric as well. Practical I guess since the tops left their arms free to heavy work, right?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I dress for comfort. We didn't have a school uniform. We did have rules for length of shorts and skirts and spaghetti strap tank tops, but I never heard or saw them enforce it. I regularly broke those rules and no one ever said anything to me.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Listen, I left school 50 years ago and we all challenged the rules and pushed them as far as we could, especially regarding skirt length. There's nothing new under the sun!

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

My family was never that wealthy, and when I was growing up certainly not wealthy enough for me to become a clothes hound with the latest and greatest fashions for school. I went to Catholic school, and since we all dressed alike, I and other girls from "less wealthy" families never had to compete. Some of the girls wore expensive shoes (why?) and a few, when we were older, wore high-end underwear and bras.

I loved not having to worry about thinking about what to wear. I had friends in public school who were obsessed with daily clothing. Too stressful.

If and when I have kids - off they go to Catholic school, or at least a school with uniforms. I love them.

Dutchess Of Dancing
0 likes

Well I went to Catholic school ...I didn't mind the uniforms except when it was cold.

A secret isn't a secret if 2 know it🤐

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

In high school the principal banned thong sandals because he proclaimed them too distracting and provocative. Was a weird way to tell the student body he had a foot fetish and couldn’t control himself around young women. Great messaging.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

My school is pretty simple with the dress code, stuff like no tube tops or halter tops & micro mini skirts. I mostly live in jeans or leggings & hoodies for school so it’s no big deal to me I guess.

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes

Home schooled until college, so whatever was appropriate to the task at hand.

Quantum Tease
0 likes

There were no particular dress codes at my schools other than some general decency standards and those set by parents.