General term for a pick-up bar

last reply
13 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What would a twenty-something woman call a bar where she and her friends hang out to meet Mister-right-now?

Since I am no longer a twenty-something and have never been a woman, I need a general term for such a place for a story I'm doing.

What would she call the place in conversation if she didn't use its real name? Like "our usual ..." or our favorite ..."
Site administrator
0 likes
I would go with 'Wine bar' personally.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr how about a 'one half of lager and a packet of cheese and onion crisps and I am yours baby bar'
Lurker
0 likes
"The neon sign above the door said, 'The Louche Lounge', but Cara, Phyllis and I always called it 'The Cock Pit'..."

xx SF
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
If she is dressed for attention and seems to be alone, not waiting for her Boyfriend or Husband.

To just approach her and say " Hi my name is Alex or Marc or Trent or any other name that applies, I thought I would come over and just say Hi, since you seem to be alone."

That works better than any clever pick up line I ever heard and I think I have heard them all.

Really guys it works. Because we are there for the same thing as you are.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The One Night Stand or The Meat Market or.....Open All Night one stop for STD's.....lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CheetNWifeSlut
If she is dressed for attention and seems to be alone, not waiting for her Boyfriend or Husband.

To just approach her and say " Hi my name is Alex or Marc or Trent or any other name that applies, I thought I would come over and just say Hi, since you seem to be alone."

That works better than any clever pick up line I ever heard and I think I have heard them all.

I'm not asking about pick-up lines.
What did she call the place? Not necessarily its actual name, but a generic term like "Our favorite pick-up joint."
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn
I would go with 'Wine bar' personally.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr how about a 'one half of lager and a packet of cheese and onion crisps and I am yours baby bar'

That's Woking for you...you're talking about Weatherspoons, right?
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by TheAngryishLover

That's Woking for you...you're talking about Weatherspoons, right?

Nah .. JDW has gone up market ... the floozies that frequent them now expect the lager and 2 packets of crisps .. I used to try and pick my chicks up at the many burger bars you see these days. Used to be one outside a Homebase near me and I scored there once.
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by CheetNWifeSlut

On that basis why should we even buy a drink! .. 'Hello fancy hot and wild sex' sounds good to me .. free .. right up my street.

Sorry Brad .. rather off topic .. I actually googled things like 'name for pickup bar' etc etc and got nothing sensible back. Perhaps Steph's idea of just using a name for an establishment, which clearly from the name is a pick up environment, is a good idea.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

On that basis why should we even buy a drink! .. 'Hello fancy hot and wild sex' sounds good to me .. free .. right up my street.

Sorry Brad .. rather off topic .. I actually googled things like 'name for pickup bar' etc etc and got nothing sensible back. Perhaps Steph's idea of just using a name for an establishment, which clearly from the name is a pick up environment, is a good idea.

Sorry kids was I ever off base.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
"Steph's House"!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

Nah .. JDW has gone up market ... the floozies that frequent them now expect the lager and 2 packets of crisps .. I used to try and pick my chicks up at the many burger bars you see these days. Used to be one outside a Homebase near me and I scored there once.

It's gone 'up market'?!

I fear for the rest of Woking, if that place is now considered 'up market'!
Lurker
0 likes
Steph didn't put down Milik's? Lol.

Uptown bar, uptown drinking Establishment

Cocktail lounge, wine bar

Watering hole