From woman to woman - Serioulsy, how do you cope being single long/term

last reply
14 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I want to know how women cope being single long/term. I have done the married thing/ babies etc then the separting thing. I'm realising being single is no picnic sometimes.

I want positive answers - nothing negative. If it's negative - sugar coat it for me please.

So what have you got???????

Please stay positive!
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Honeybee- I've never been married, never had kids, and if you factor in a few other things too, we probably don't have much in common. But, I'm single, and I love it. Why? I'm not responsible to anyone, I don't owe anyone an explanation for what I do, where I go, when I'm going to be home, and who I'll be with. I don't have to share my money, I don't have to ask if whatever music I listen to, or TV/Movie I want to watch is okay with the other person. I am me, I don't have to be anything else for anyone else's benefit.

Sex? I still have it, but I'm not limited to one person, and I can have it on my terms, not when I'm tired or not feeling well, but feel bad for the guy I'm living with who is horny at the time. I can be around people anytime I want, but I'm not stuck with people when I want to be alone at night.

There are drawbacks to all of these things, sure. And not everyone views sex/life, etc like I do, but I wanted to share the positives of single life as I see them. Hope you at least smile, if this doesn't help you. Keep ya head up, girl!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Honeybee- I've never been married, never had kids, and if you factor in a few other things too, we probably don't have much in common. But, I'm single, and I love it. Why? I'm not responsible to anyone, I don't owe anyone an explanation for what I do, where I go, when I'm going to be home, and who I'll be with. I don't have to share my money, I don't have to ask if whatever music I listen to, or TV/Movie I want to watch is okay with the other person. I am me, I don't have to be anything else for anyone else's benefit.

Sex? I still have it, but I'm not limited to one person, and I can have it on my terms, not when I'm tired or not feeling well, but feel bad for the guy I'm living with who is horny at the time. I can be around people anytime I want, but I'm not stick with people when I want to be alone at night.

There are drawbacks to all of these things, sure. And not everyone views sex/life, etc like I do, but I wanted to share the positives of single life as I see them. Hope you at least smile, if this doesn't help you. Keep ya head up, girl!

Wow! Where do I sign up??lol. Like LadyX I don't have much in common with your sittuation, I'm only 23 and havn't been single in 11 years. I was in a relationship from age 12 till I was 20 and that ended and I went straight into a new relationship and have been there ever since. There are deffinate perks to always being in a relationship, but there are just as many benefits to the single life not that i've experienced it myself but LadyX pointed that out nicely.

Just take it easy and enjoy the quiet time, it won't last forever. I don't believe anyone is meant to be alone forever and soon enough you will be begging for time without a man hanging around all the time.lol. Take advantage of this time and get to know yourself better, pamper yourself enough to last a life time.lol. And maybe have some fun with some casual dating ;) MissJess
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been single since I was 22 and I do get the feeling that I want to be with someone who loves me for me. I just focus on myself and try to have positive things around me. I want to attract good karma into my life and stay far away from negativity. Now that I'm 28, I'm secure in knowing that marriage is in the cards for me, and so is children.

As far as sex goes, there is one guy I've been boinking off and on for a few years now. He's on the road a lot for work and when we do get together, safe sex is always an option to prevent any pregnancies or catch anything. I may be living with my mother right now, but that doesn't mean that I can't go out and have my fun. I am enjoying the single life right now and I'm happy doing that!

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Lurker
0 likes
I spent an afternoon with my dad's long lost sister this afternoon, she and her husband both live on a canal boat, hmmmmmm it got me to thinking really positivly, the thought of being able to go where ever the canal barge takes you. I quite like the idea of that being able to roam around freely without the constraints on a house etc.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was married for 23 years I was made to marry my boyfriend when he got me pregnant at 16. I had no idea what to do during those years with young kids and living alone I could not see myself surviving alone with 3 small boys. Now my sons are grown ages 21, 19, & 17 and my husband and I are separated he decided he doesn't want me anymore. I have to say these are rough times for me he has decided not to help me finacially even though he never let me finish school. but I would not change this freedom I have now for anything in the world. I am very happy now my sons have taken my side and I am not depressed anymore as I was when he and I were still together and I have changed so much since he left that friends have noticed and are happy to see the possitive change in me I go clubbing as much as possible and I go out with friends.. even though I am on a sexual diet I have learned to gratify myself!!!!

Behind every strong soldier there is even a stronger woman who raised him " Proud Army Mom"
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
It s hard, believe me. i was married (thank God no kids), divorced 5 years now, living alone since then... it s hard.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was single for about 18 months when my husband and I separated. I quickly discovered many positive things, so a bit silly, but some quite deep.

Silly:
You get the whole sofa to yourself
You can fall asleep on it without somone pestering you to come to bed
When you do go to bed you get the whole bed to yourself
No towels/boxers/socks left on the bedroom/bathroom/any floor- unless you put them there yourself!

Deep:
Not responsible/answerable to anybody
Can learn to enjoy your own company again
Can just sit and think without being interrupted
No wondering what partner is up to/plotting/ thinking etc

For me my time as a singleton was very pleasant and I think has made me a far more emotionally strong person and I like myself again.

Hope this is positive enough for you.

x
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
1-if someone hits on you and you find them incredibly attractive and decide to go home with them, you don't have to feel guilty the next morning.

2-possibilities. every day is a new day where you might meet someone incredible, your soul mate, and fall in love for ever and ever. And if it doesn't happen today, it could happen tommorrow.

3-you get really good at writing emo poetry.

4-you don't have to pretend to be interested in your partner's interests or pretend to like their best friend.

on a serious note (not that some of these weren't serious) i find that i cope by keeping busy - working, writing, riding my bike, making sure i am getting lots of social time with people i enjoy, and i try not to let myself wallow in self pity. sitting around the house being sad might be easy to do, but it will drag you down and wear you out. find a new hobby, join a club, just keep active.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by quietmoans
I was single for about 18 months when my husband and I separated. I quickly discovered many positive things, so a bit silly, but some quite deep.

Silly:
You get the whole sofa to yourself
You can fall asleep on it without somone pestering you to come to bed
When you do go to bed you get the whole bed to yourself
No towels/boxers/socks left on the bedroom/bathroom/any floor- unless you put them there yourself!

Deep:
Not responsible/answerable to anybody
Can learn to enjoy your own company again
Can just sit and think without being interrupted
No wondering what partner is up to/plotting/ thinking etc

For me my time as a singleton was very pleasant and I think has made me a far more emotionally strong person and I like myself again.

Hope this is positive enough for you.

x

Yeah I do enjoy the whole bed to myself, but then I find myself missing another person sleepin by my side.
I think I have been stronger on my own, it's made me very singular in my thoughts, the only (deep) downside to that is that I have a habit of wanting to stay within my own company too much. But I'am biting back my own self doubt and thinking stuff it I don't have to go out if I don't want to, where as before I would go out because family said come on!
Thanks for the reply the silly things and the deeps things I appreciate that.
Lurker
0 likes
Lush Ladies and Gentlemen, I have had a very different experience than most. I have been married for over 20 years and we are still very much in love.

That goes mean sharing the money, well at least the money we make together. It does mean a joint decision on films, music and joint vacations. It does mean letting the other know it is now 3:00AM and I will not be home tonight. It does mean accepting that he wants me to get off the sofa and come to bed because he loves me. It does mean having him there most mornings when I wake up.

It does not mean explaining where I have been and who I have been with. It does not mean telling that hot guy at the club that I am married and unavailable. I does not mean that I forego a weekend or a week's trip with friends for experimentation in ecstasy. That does not mean that I can not hit on that hot guy or ever hotter girl.

We seem to be one of the few marriages that the participants are completly happy with each other and would do the same thing again.

We seem to be one of the few couples that can be with others and not suffer recriminations for you actions or at least the next fight.

Yes we have fights like everyone else and yes we have our flaws too like everyone else!

I could not imagine being without a husband or a partner
Lurker
0 likes
If I could be single sure. I have been married almost 20 years and have put up with a lot of junk from hiim. I'm not saying all guys are this way. My parents let me do more stuff than him. He has to know my where abouts all the time (no I am not the one who cheated...I guess he knows what he done and knows he cant be trusted). I tell my daughter to live with them and never get married to them because its to darn expensive to divorce them. (Dukes of Hazzard Movie: Uncle Jessie: Why are divorces so expensive? Because they are worth it!" Sure, I would like to have someone to hold me at night or talk to me about my day, but shoot I don't have that now so being single probably would be an easy adjustment for me. It takes two to make a marriage and when only one tries its pretty hard to keep it together.

That is just my thoughts based on my own life.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Being single is nothing to be ashamed of. It can turn out to be the most empowering and liberating time of your life. It terms of personal growth, I think the most strides can be made while being single. After all, that's why they call it "personal" growth. As much as we all want to cling to the idea of another person 'completing us'... the reality is that you are the only person that is guaranteed to be with you for the rest of your life... so you'd better like that person.

I spent three years in a toxic relationship, during which the man I 'loved' spent about two of those years chipping away at my self-esteem as a form of psychological control until I didn't feel I could ever do any better than him. He criticized me constantly... from what I wore, to how I looked, to what I said at dinner parties, to how I spent my time. Once, he found some of my hidden writing (non-erotica) and belittled that, so I stopped writing for over two years. I can look back on it now and recognize his own insecurities that maybe caused him to need to tear me down to make sure I'd never leave him. He wasn't ever physically abusive or anything, but he knew all my vulnerabilities and how to push my buttons, and the emotional can often be just as painful. So it was a volatile couple of years, with a lot of highs and lows, where I didn't feel very confident in who I was anymore. I always felt like I was walking on eggshells, and basically just ended up masking my sadness and turning instead to heavy partying to escape my psychological bruises, all the while still inanely trying to win his approval. And let's face it, with these kinds of assholes... it's never really possible.

Becoming single again was almost like being re-born. I didn't have to worry if I was doing something wrong, or when the next fight would happen, or staring at the clock at 4am and wondering why he wasn't home yet. I could wear what I wanted, find the courage to start writing again, and basically slowly start getting my confidence back by engaging in the world again being 100% me. When I look at who I was back then, compared to now, it's like night and day differences. Sure, I will always have some emotional scars, but I can start to rationalize his behaviour now that I'm away from it, and stop believing all the negatives he kept drilling into my head. Being single meant that I could find myself again, figure out what I want from life, and realize that I have all these possibilities that are still open to me. You don't even know what your own life's puzzle is going to look like at the end of it all, but the thrill of imagining what it COULD be is still one of the things that makes me smile when I wake up in the morning.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
I want to know how women cope being single long/term. I have done the married thing/ babies etc then the separting thing. I'm realising being single is no picnic sometimes.

I want positive answers - nothing negative. If it's negative - sugar coat it for me please.

So what have you got???????

Please stay positive!

Here you go, sweetie.

I love this one! So much so, I'm gonna add the lyrics.

Self-contained and self-content
No promises to keep
I`ve got things so together
That i just can`t fall asleep
Walked the night and drank the moon
Got home at half-past four,
And i knew that no-one marked my time
As i unlocked my door.
It`s really lovely to discover
That you like to be alone
Not to owe your man an answer
When he gets you on the phone
Not to share a pair of porkchops
When you crave champagne and cheese
And your aim becomes to please yourself
And not to aim to please
Oh they sold me when they told me
Two can live as cheap as one
But i`m learning twice you`re earning
Doesn`t mean it`s twice the fun
If you spend your each dime and all your time
On someone else`s schemes
I`m not needy but i`m greedy
And i live my deepest dreams
Take an hour in the shower
Use the water while it`s hot
In the tub a hand to scrub my back
Is all i haven`t got.

Self-aware with self-esteem
Is selfishness a crime?
I take the day for quite a ride
And i take my own sweet time
Time to spare and time to share
And grateful i would be
If just one damn man would share the need
To be alone with me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Enjoy it... Get yourself a good vibrator/dildo and a neighbors kid to mow the lawns and your sorted!
"I appreciate this whole seduction thing you've got going on here, but let me give you a tip: I'm a sure thing." - Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) in Pretty Women