Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

what does the story score actually mean

last reply
16 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
I had a dilemma today; I read a story that was brilliantly written, unfortunately, the story was not to my taste. This is NO reflection on the author, just that this particular story had subject matter that did not particularly appeal to me.

I like to make a habit of commenting and voting on stories that I have read. I feel that if the author has taken the time to write a story, it is only right that we readers do the writer the courtesy of scoring it.

So the question is; does the score (0 - 5) relate to how exciting the story is to a particular reader (based on subject matter), or to how well written and observed the story is?
I find I only tend to score and comment when i really like the story itself. A lot of the stories i have scored havent been arousing at all to me, or broached a subject that i find distasteful. However if the story is written to a standard that i make it to the end then i'll score it. Its definitely more about the writers skills than the subject, i find the more erotica i read the less excited i become about it, however good writing skills always leave me short of breath.
For me, I am more inclined to rate based on the way of writing. I can feel a story is captivating but doesn't do it for me. and still rate it high since I liked the way it was put out. in my comment I would most likely tell that it's not really my taste but I liked the way it was written.
To make the author know that even though I might not like the subject at hand I find him/her to be a good writer.
I think if you read it, score it.

On a side note, what does the big number in white inside a red box thing... by each story mean?

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
Quote by BrindleChase
I think if you read it, score it.

On a side note, what does the big number in white inside a red box thing... by each story mean?

That's the amount of votes your story has received.
I feel that scoring should be based on how well the writer is able to connect with the reader. If I read one that captivates me and doesn't have me skipping ahead, I'll score it well. I won't penalize it for subject matter unless it wasn't properly identified. In otherwords, if it's supposed to be a first time story and then it turns out to contain or reluctance, I'd score it low and comment as to why. On the other hand, if it is listed as containing such subject matter, I can't really hold it against the author.
As a writer, I would like to see a system that doesn't allow one low vote to have such a large impact on the overall score. I have several stories that have gotten several 5 votes, but then one 2 or 3 brings down the overall score dramatically. This wouldn't be a problem if I wrote in a catagory like or reluctance where you typically get 40 or more votes. But in such areas as romance you just don't get that many.
It would be nice to see a system that could mitigate the effects of a single low vote. For instance, drop one vote from the top and bottom of those recieved and average out the rest.
As for comments, they are what matter most to me. Feedback is the best reward a writer gets for his or her work.
I know i am not an author (yet) but I vote on all the stories I read. I vote based on how well written it is. A good writer can bring the reader into their world and make them feel like they are witnessing what is going on and feeling what is happening. Sometimes a story will have a brilliant introduction and I will get really interested in it, then it will be rushed and this is when I lower the score I give. I have read some wonderful stories that have not got me in the mood, but have been so brilliantly written and I have given them a really good score.

Ice cream + Candy = Yummy
I just give 5s to my friends.

KIDDING! lol

I'm pretty easy- if the story's great and/or the story's hot, it gets a 5. If it's just 'pretty good' on either count, it gets a 4. I don't give out that many 2s or 3s, and only a single 1 that I can remember. I think the scores are generally too high for everybody, but it's like a curve, I guess. So what normally should be a 4.0 average is about a 4.5 or 4.6 on Lush, or at least that's how it seems to me.
I give 5's to all the women, thinking that will help me get some cyber.

The guy's get 5's only if I check out their profiles and they got hawt babe friends. Karma, baby.

Milik is the only person I rain 1's and 2's upon. He's got too many Editor Pick awards as it is.

I save up all my comments and give them only to DB.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
I like WellMade's system...I think he borrowed the first part from me...
I had this dilemma when I first started rating...but I realized after a while that the votes should be based on the writing, not whether or not I really like the fantasy...there are often certain aspects in a story that don't necessarily appeal to me, but I would not penalize a well-written, detailed story...
And yes, I vote and comment on every story I read...with rare exceptions I can probably count on one hand...

You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories
If I read.. I rate and comment.. I only rate 3-5 though.. I also admit to being inconsistent.. I expect more from prolific writers than I do of newbies....
Quote by Lisa

That's the amount of votes your story has received.

Thanks Lisa!

paranormal • erotic • romance
www.forlorn-hope.net
Quote by WellMadeMale
I give 5's to all the women, thinking that will help me get some cyber.

Same, I give 5's to all the hotness.

If a story has a good plot, flows nicely, and is arousing, I vote it well. If it fails in all departments, it gets a 1. I can't remember the last time I gave a 1 though.
Quote by WellMadeMale

Milik is the only person I rain 1's and 2's upon. He's got too many Editor Pick awards as it is.

So your the one!!! (kidding)
They are all part of my evil plan to get the mysterious gold badge from lush!
Quote by LadyX

I'm pretty easy-

Let me just say those are my favorite words a beautiful sexy young lady can say in public!
Quote by LadyX
I just give 5s to my friends.

KIDDING! lol

That is not far from the truth for me.

I have rarely given less than a 4 on any story. Now, if I can't give a 4 or 5 then I refrain from voting. Why? Because, I don't have the motivation to be a harsh critic. I feel if I gave a low score then I would be obligated to explain it rationally.
as a writer... albeit not a very read one.. I appreciate any score fairly given.. I am my own harshest critic..