last reply
10 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of publishing a "novel" - a story with 15 chapters. But at the same time, I am working (off and on) on a sci-fi story that promises to be much longer. My question is how long do you feel a story can get before it gets boring and readership fades? I know one thing is the writer's ability to hold the reader's attention, but is there a point where you should just drop it and walk away? What is the longest story here on Lush already? Not that I want to go for a record I just want to know if I should continue this endeavor. I am on the 10th chapter and still have lots of ideas left for it!
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
No clue where I lie in the "longest" hierarchy, but my Adam series ( Incest category ) is certainly long as hell for here.

There are sixteen chapters total. Four in the first, seven in the second, and five in the third. They're all somewhere between 5 and 6k words in length. So it's somewhere between 80 and 90k words total.

The first chapter of the first series has 28 votes, 11 comments, and 11k views. The last chapter of the third series has 12 votes, 5 comments, and 3600 views. First chapter posted on the 3rd of Dec. 2017, the final posted on Jan. 01 of 2018.

My Magic of the Wood series is actually longer, but it's Supernatural, so there's no data of any real use to draw from that. A couple of my other fantasy stories are almost that long, but again, that's a desert category where there's no real data of use.

You'll absolutely want all the chapters to come out predictably, and in a reasonably short period of time. Any lapses are almost certain to kill your retention. So, obviously have the full story complete before you post the first chapter.

That's at least one data point for you to weigh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Word of warning - sci-fi isn't a great category if you want lots of votes / comments. I'm on chapter 7 of my War of the Worlds sequel (two chapters of which are RRs) and actually feel kinda happy if any bugger turns up and scores / comments. Not sure how much longer I can do it though.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Completely slipped my mind that you said the story was Sci-Fi while I was digging through my stuff looking for multi-chapter data. Guess I'll put up those Fantasy and Supernatural stories, even thought there's little to go off of.

For all of these, the chapters/stories posted more or less daily.

To Catch a Merchant Princess is 6 chapters of 8-9k words each, and came out in 2013. First has 8 votes, 7k views, and 2 comments. Last has 9 votes, 4k views, and 4 comments.

Lowborn is 10 chapters of around 5k words each, and came out in 2014. First has a whopping 2 votes, 3600 views, and 1 comment. Last has 1 vote, 2100 views, and no comments.

Blackhawk Hall is 6 chapters of 7-8k words each, and came out in 2014. First has 4 votes, 4780 views, and 3 comments. Last has 2 votes, 2900 views and 2 comments.

My Magic of the Wood series is 8 stories, comprised of 14 parts. Only the first two fit within a single submission. All the rest had to be split into two pieces each. One of the stories ( both parts ) got an RR, and it came out in 2014. First story has 7 votes, 4700 views, and 3 comments. Last part of the last story has 2 votes, 3400 views, and 1 comment.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
Completely slipped my mind that you said the story was Sci-Fi while I was digging through my stuff looking for multi-chapter data. Guess I'll put up those Fantasy and Supernatural stories, even thought there's little to go off of.

For all of these, the chapters/stories posted more or less daily.

To Catch a Merchant Princess is 6 chapters of 8-9k words each, and came out in 2013. First has 8 votes, 7k views, and 2 comments. Last has 9 votes, 4k views, and 4 comments.

Lowborn is 10 chapters of around 5k words each, and came out in 2014. First has a whopping 2 votes, 3600 views, and 1 comment. Last has 1 vote, 2100 views, and no comments.

Blackhawk Hall is 6 chapters of 7-8k words each, and came out in 2014. First has 4 votes, 4780 views, and 3 comments. Last has 2 votes, 2900 views and 2 comments.

My Magic of the Wood series is 8 stories, comprised of 14 parts. Only the first two fit within a single submission. All the rest had to be split into two pieces each. One of the stories ( both parts ) got an RR, and it came out in 2014. First story has 7 votes, 4700 views, and 3 comments. Last part of the last story has 2 votes, 3400 views, and 1 comment.

I have written two long "novels" - the first one "Tea and Strumpet" I co-authored with Poppet. It was 14 chapters when we got tired of it. The second one that is currently being published is "Love Thy Neighbor" and will be 15 chapters when it's all said and done. I wrote this one alone. I also wrote or co-authored a couple in the 5-7 chapter range and a few of my own that went 5 chapters. Basically, I don't know when to shut up which is why I put this thread out there! smile
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Master_Jonathan
Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of publishing a "novel" - a story with 15 chapters. But at the same time, I am working (off and on) on a sci-fi story that promises to be much longer. My question is how long do you feel a story can get before it gets boring and readership fades? I know one thing is the writer's ability to hold the reader's attention, but is there a point where you should just drop it and walk away? What is the longest story here on Lush already? Not that I want to go for a record I just want to know if I should continue this endeavor. I am on the 10th chapter and still have lots of ideas left for it!

if the story is good, it won't get boring no matter how long it is. if it's not good, it'll probably be boring after one chapter. smile readership will fade, no matter how good the story, with each chapter. that's just the nature of serial chapters here - my advice, tho, is to publish each chapter a week apart, if possible. the longer the gap, the more likely people will kind of forget about it. :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by GoNE68
Word of warning - sci-fi isn't a great category if you want lots of votes / comments. I'm on chapter 7 of my War of the Worlds sequel (two chapters of which are RRs) and actually feel kinda happy if any bugger turns up and scores / comments. Not sure how much longer I can do it though.

I've actually got my eyes on it. Just haven't had time to read it. The original WotW is an old favorite of mine.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I've actually got my eyes on it. Just haven't had time to read it. The original WotW is an old favorite of mine.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy when you get around to reading it. There's a lot more sex in this one than in the original biggrin
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by sprite

if the story is good, it won't get boring no matter how long it is. if it's not good, it'll probably be boring after one chapter. smile readership will fade, no matter how good the story, with each chapter. that's just the nature of serial chapters here - my advice, tho, is to publish each chapter a week apart, if possible. the longer the gap, the more likely people will kind of forget about it. :)

Cracks knuckles over keyboard.

Must...

Type...

Faster...

What I do is start with good intentions of writing an epic multi-parter and then get *ooh a butterfly* distracted and start writing something else. Before you know it, five years have passed. I don't write as much as I used to, which means my pile of 'to write' is growing faster than my 'written'. Don't do that.

Write the story until the characters are tired and stop telling you stuff. Then stop. :-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton

Cracks knuckles over keyboard.

Must...

Type...

Faster...

What I do is start with good intentions of writing an epic multi-parter and then get *ooh a butterfly* distracted and start writing something else. Before you know it, five years have passed. I don't write as much as I used to, which means my pile of 'to write' is growing faster than my 'written'. Don't do that.

Write the story until the characters are tired and stop telling you stuff. Then stop. :-)

I feel your pain Abigail - if I could type my stories as fast as I think about them, all the Mods would hate me! LOL! Actually, nowadays my "written folder" is considerably bigger than my "to write" folder, however, my "to publish folder" gives it a good run for its money! I have roughly in the neighborhood of 120 stories waiting to be published. So a little writer's block isn't too big a worry for me! As for writing, I too start out with good intentions of writing a certain story. But during the writing, it often takes a turn on me and next thing you know my anal story has turned into a MILF story or something! LOL! So I never truly know what I'm writing or how long it will be until it's finished. Case in point 0 this SciFi story started out as a two or three chapter story... it's now in its 10th chapter!
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
At the risk of coming off as very old-fashioned and even 20th century, a quick plunge into a short lesson on 'plotting' might be of some help. In brief, it boils down to writing the first chapter, then the last chapter and only then filling in the blank space inbetween. That is, of course, just a suggestion.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN