last reply
5 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Fellow authors,

Do any of you use text to speech software, such as NaturalReader to proof your work? If so, I would welcome your thoughts on how useful you find it as I am considering buying some version or the other. The natural sounding voices are intriguing.

Thoughts welcomed.

Shinzon

[Note: Empty links removed from post]
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
no, but now i am curious smile thank you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Matriarch
0 likes
You have to be a bit careful with it.

I've seen documents which weren't double checked, and they were strewn with errors. One was talking about "pay per click advertising," and it came out "paper click advertising."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, I use TextAloud, but there are a few glitches.

The most common problems I have found are:

Software will not let you know when you have used the wrong to, too, or two and other homonyms. That is what a grammar checker is supposed to do.
Second, it will let you know when you have misspelled a word when what you typed sounds the same as what you should have typed. That is what a spell checker supposed to do.
And my favorite, forget about punctuation!

Other than that, you can use software to get rid of about 90 percent of your screw-ups (no the ones you intended, of course).

Max
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The current best text to speech software is Text Speaker. It has customizable pronunciation, reads anything on your screen, and it even has talking reminders. It is great for learning as it highlights the words as they are being read. The bundled voices are well priced and sound very human. Voices are available in English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, and more. Easily converts blogs, email, e-books, and more to MP3 or for listening instantly.
(deskshare.com/text-to-speech-software.aspx)