Peer Review Story Site?

last reply
18 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Does anyone know of a place to upload/share stories so they can be reviewed by other writers?

Zoetrope Movie Studio has similar thing, where you have to read and review three stories or scripts before you can upload one of yours (I've tried out some screenplays there) ~ I think it would be lovely to have something like that for dirty stories.
0 likes
An interesting concept. Never heard of it done for erotica but my experience of online erotica is mostly limited to here. I can't really see Nic changing her model, but I guess a review model would just be an expansion of the current scoring/commenting system to something more formal and detailed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for replying Seeker,

I really enjoyed your Masturbation story, I have a kink for dirty old men myself smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One option is to find someone friendly and willing to read through your story. You can send it as a private message. I volunteer, particularly since you say you have a thong for DOM.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I think this is a very interesting idea. I have all kinds of erotica moldering on my harddrive that I wrote primarily for my own amusement and that of close friends. I used to belong to various critique circles for romance and chick lit. It was a great resource and many of my writing buddies went on to publish their work. Count me in if we're forming a group.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the reply Floo,

I'm not sure how to form a group, perhaps someone else reading this would want to get it off the ground?

I'd love to get some Lush writers and readers opinions on my stuff.

How do you feel when you go back and your read your own stories from along ago?

Mine go back over ten years, I skim through them thinking: I don't remember writing any of this.

Usually they seem quite bad, when I read my old stories, but then I don't have much faith in anything I do. I wonder how bad my current ones will look after a few years.
Practitioner of the art of the tease...
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie

How do you feel when you go back and your read your own stories from along ago?

Mine go back over ten years, I skim through them thinking: I don't remember writing any of this.

Usually they seem quite bad, when I read my old stories, but then I don't have much faith in anything I do. I wonder how bad my current ones will look after a few years.

I feel this way quite a bit. I have a stories series I wrote ~10 years ago that I am currently going back to and ugh it's tough to read. I look back at my other story site postings (long ago deleted) on my hard drive and cringe sometimes, but I'll have to say when I do go back it makes me appreciate where I've come from and evolved to.

I've always kept an "idea box" file and I find that I get a ton of ideas from re-reading old stories I've written. Sometimes just a sentence here or there or a character, once even just an adjective that spurred and idea or another story. It's part of the growth process for me, but it took me a while to get myself to that mindset.

Happy to join a group...

Remember, the Left Lingula is always closest to the heart & everyone deserves to have that heart full of love...

My Newest: Nightshade Part 1

And My Fav: Turning Stephanie Insatiable: A tale of a wife's discovery...

0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie
Does anyone know of a place to upload/share stories so they can be reviewed by other writers?

Zoetrope Movie Studio has similar thing, where you have to read and review three stories or scripts before you can upload one of yours (I've tried out some screenplays there) ~ I think it would be lovely to have something like that for dirty stories.

I've had my non-erotic stuff critiqued on a site called Scribophile. It is a popular, vibrant site. Just like the Movie Studio site you mentioned, you have to earn points by critiquing other people's writing before you can post your own.

I have never posted my erotica on there, though there are groups devoted to critiquing erotica.

Of course the standard of writers varies, ranging from complete newbies to published authors. But be warned: as everyone has to critique the writing of others to get there own stuff read, you have use your discretion when taking on board what people say about your stuff.

Scriblophile has loads of great tools and features, some of which would be brilliant to have available here on Lush. I especially like the options available for responding to other people's post.
0 likes
I checked out Scribophile a while back but it seemed like a lot of hard work to me. I couldn’t commit to the amount of critiques I’d have to offer in order for my work to be posted. I was also wary of the varied quality, as Luca said. I looked at some of the editing suggestions posted and they were utter rubbish. There are good ideas on that site, though and you’d definitely get actual feedback rather than the more polite responses you get to work posted here

Of course, you could ask for honest feedback here via pm. I’m sure you’d get some
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh
I checked out Scribophile a while back but it seemed like a lot of hard work to me. I couldn’t commit to the amount of critiques I’d have to offer in order for my work to be posted. I was also wary of the varied quality, as Luca said. I looked at some of the editing suggestions posted and they were utter rubbish. There are good ideas on that site, though and you’d definitely get actual feedback rather than the more polite responses you get to work posted here

Of course, you could ask for honest feedback here via pm. I’m sure you’d get some

Yeah, Mags. Critiquing over there can be labour intensive. I've been know to spend up to an hour on just one story/chapter. The tools supplied are not that hard to learn though.

Yeah, the quality of certain cirques can be a problem. Often it's the blind leading the blind!

I think more experienced writers get to know each other and make their work available for certain trusted individuals only. It is a very flexible system.

Having said all this, its over a year since I visited the site.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LucaByDesign

I've had my non-erotic stuff critiqued on a site called Scribophile. It is a popular, vibrant site. Just like the Movie Studio site you mentioned, you have to earn points by critiquing other people's writing before you can post your own.

I have never posted my erotica on there, though there are groups devoted to critiquing erotica.

~ Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into Scribophile.

An aspect of this online, impersonal distance is that it's hard to read nuance in people's opinions, whether they're seeming too polite or too blunt.

However delicately or indelicately reviewers give me their opinion it's good to have people say X was lovely, Y sucked, Z was confusing.

I appreciate your reply, thanks.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

Thanks for the reply to my thread, I wasn't good enough to get published at Lush but I get some friendly comments at Literotica, but usually not much more than "That was hot, please write more."
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie

Thanks for the reply to my thread, I wasn't good enough to get published at Lush but I get some friendly comments at Literotica, but usually not much more than "That was hot, please write more."

You had four stories published on Lush with very good comments
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Saucymh

You had four stories published on Lush with very good comments

The stories were accepted and then kicked back to me, I tried to accommodate the moderators' instructions but...

I don't think my stories are accessible here any more, though maybe you have unrestricted access. I don't think I read any comments before they were rejected.

I'm resigned to just being a reader at Lush, and the forum is lively.
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie

I'm resigned to just being a reader at Lush, and the forum is lively.

Definitely, they’re great
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Saucy MH and Luca,

I see what you both mean about Scribophile, today I spent over an hour reading a (not very good) story and trying to form my opinions about it into a positive and encouraging 'critique' ~ I earned exactly zero points! smile

I suppose you have to learn how to play the game to get your work seen and reviewed. I'll keep trying.
colin123
0 likes
A lot of stories here are reviewed by other writers.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, I have created a group, imaginatively called "Peer Review Group". So far it only has one member and I don't seem to be able to invite people to join it. But I think people can apply to be invited - click on groups at the top, and if you find it and click on it you should get the option to request an invite after ticking the Yes-I-have-read-the-rules box.

Edit: 3 members now. Just about a quorum but more welcome.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by NicolasBelvoir
Well, I have created a group, imaginatively called "Peer Review Group". So far it only has one member and I don't seem to be able to invite people to join it. But I think people can apply to be invited - click on groups at the top, and if you find it and click on it you should get the option to request an invite after ticking the Yes-I-have-read-the-rules box.

Edit: 3 members now. Just about a quorum but more welcome.

I was unable to find it, can you give us a link?