Need your advice

last reply
11 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
My friend is a writer. A few days ago, she gave me drafts of her erotic novel to read (because one day she bet that I would be the first reader of her forever ha-ha) and I was amazed at her skill in describing sex scenes! To be honest, I was a little jealous, because in my works I avoid sex scenes, because I can't describe them! She described everything with deliberate realism, especially when describing devices for such plays (a story based on quick bondage BDSM topic). Once someone told me that in order to write well about something, you have to go through it. But I'm not sure if my friend is into BDSM. How do I know for sure though? In general, I have nothing against it, but I so wanted to experience that quivering excitement before the toy that the main character felt...

I have a great idea for my story, but I cannot imagine either tactile or visual range of my story. I will be glad to any advice or recommendations!

Thank you for attention,
love you.
0 likes
Quote by jules007
Once someone told me that in order to write well about something, you have to go through it. But I'm not sure if my friend is into BDSM. How do I know for sure though? In general, I have nothing against it, but I so wanted to experience that quivering excitement before the toy that the main character felt...

I have a great idea for my story, but I cannot imagine either tactile or visual range of my story. I will be glad to any advice or recommendations!

I don't get into BDSM much in my writing and never in life. There's some bondage play in my stories but nothing too extreme. Thing is, I have never been tied up or tied someone else up. I have read other's fantasies and accounts of it, but that's it. I just imagine it, maybe with some help from those other accounts. And it seems to work.

The whole "to write it you have to experience it" thing is bull, IMHO. No one has ever fought a dragon but fantasy still gets written and some of those battles against dragons are incredibly realistic. No one has ever flown a spacecraft to another star, but s-f still gets written and a good writer can make you feel like you are at that star. Imagination counts for a lot (and I say that as a fantasy writer myself on another site). And in this case, so does doing some research and reading to familiarize yourself with what you are going to imagine.

So read your friend's story. Do some googling and see if you can find detailed reviews or articles about the toy you're interested in. Look at some of the stories in the Toys category here to see how other writers have written about that toy or similar toys.

And then just try your hand at it. Imagine yourself in that position and how it might feel.

A couple of my bondage stories, neither of which has much basis in "real life", just my imagination and some inspiration from other reading:

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/-bliss-.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/threesomes/the-celebration-a-fantasy.aspx
Resident Otaku
0 likes
I write from the first perspective of a man, and I'm a woman. I use places like Reddit and ask friends and my husband to find out about other's experiences because I cannot possibly hope to try it myself. The BDSM part I do have experience with but it's such a broad area that I haven't done everything. I'm a switch so I've been on both sides, although I lean more towards dominant and I have a sadistic streak, but I started out submissive initially. Despite that I've never done things like Electroplay because I have an actual fear of it. I absolutely hate the feeling of a static shock so I have to do the research instead. It is better if you can relate by having done it, but it's not necessary.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by utterchaos
I write from the first perspective of a man, and I'm a woman. .

I've done that a few times. also, what about people who write sci fi or fantasy or horror? it's all about finding ways of describing what you're imagining - research and experience can be helpful, but a good writer can describe anything they put their mind to without actually having done it.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Resident Otaku
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I've done that a few times. also, what about people who write sci fi or fantasy or horror? it's all about finding ways of describing what you're imagining - research and experience can be helpful, but a good writer can describe anything they put their mind to without actually having done it.

I don't know, I couldn't imagine having a violet wand electrode up the arse as being anything but awful, but nope it's supposed to be pretty exciting if you're into that thing. My ISP must think my husband is into some really kinky stuff going by my search history.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by utterchaos

I don't know, I couldn't imagine having a violet wand electrode up the arse as being anything but awful, but nope it's supposed to be pretty exciting if you're into that thing. My ISP must think my husband is into some really kinky stuff going by my search history.

lol ok, well, some things do take a bit more than imagination, i admit. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Writius Eroticus
0 likes
I agree with seeker4 and sprite. Write what you know is mostly a falsehood (though it can help). Imagination and research fills the gaps. I am perhaps one of the most vanilla sexually experienced people in my age bracket, but that doesn't stop my imagination running riot, especially recently as I explore my latest fascination of switch/rope play and tension-building around the subject of dom/sub.

Shameless self-promotion by way of example:

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/-contrast-.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/supernatural/-last-rites-.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/-deprivation-.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/-former-good-girl-.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/the-edge-of-control.aspx

Ultimately, you can't be sure what your friend is into or has tried based on her writing. You'd have to ask her

In terms of your own story, research is key. Read, read, read other stories in that genre and see what works for you and what doesn't. Of the ones you like, take note of what authors do and how they approach a topic or how they focus on a minuscule feeling or act and immerse readers in it. Check how that makes you feel; what emotions it sparks in your senses. Then weave those techniques into your writing and add your spin to develop your storytelling voice.

Above all, have fun.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 106 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 70 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

0 likes
Quote by sprite

I was listening to a conversation with Neil Gaiman a couple days ago (it's on David Tennant Does A Podcast With, available on all major podcast platforms) and his take basically boiled down things you create in your imagination are things you know, so "write what you know" can still apply. I regard Gaiman is one of the finest writers of my generation so I tend to respect his opinion on this sort of thing.
Editor at large
0 likes
'Write about what you know' is great advice, the best.

It doesn't mean you've experienced something...but you've probably gained the knowledge by research, reading, watching etc.

For example, BDSM is well covered in stories on Lush and features on internet sites. You don't need to participate to learn/KNOW what it's about.
0 likes
I've written non-fiction for years, and I don't know anything

That said, it definitely helps to write about things you know because it allows you to spin a more realistic tale, with lots of believable details, but you are by no means limited to the things you know, as so many people above have noted.

In fact, it's been shown in psychological studies that a vivid fantasy can have as much effect on your being as real life.

I think anyone here who has ever had wet panties/undershorts from reading some of the stories here knows that…

So, imagine yourself in the situations you want to write about, and take it from there.

One example, among many: Jim Butcher wrote several novels in the (excellent) Dresden Files series about Chicago, where it is set, but had never been there. It finally tripped him up when he wrote about a parking lot that didn't exist and a reader from Chicago pragged him about it, but that was well after he had established the series as best-selling.

An incredibly talented, but modest Polar Bear, often mischievous, but never malicious!

Chatterbox Blonde- Rumps Mystical Bartender
0 likes
Here's my little contribution. I've been a role-player for longer then I care to think about, and I approach the scene like I would a role-playing scenario.
Who are the people in the scene?
Where are they? Why are they there? What do you want to explore in that scene?

So let's say I put A and B in a basement. B is a nervous person but feels very safe when A holds them in their arms. A suggests they try tying up B to see how they find that. Now since B finds being held reassuring, maybe they find being tied up like being very tightly held by A. So as they get tied up, they might feel less afraid, start to feel an underwhelming pleasure at being confined but also loved. Maybe A enjoys the way it feels to tie B up, they way they wriggle and moan when being bound. Maybe A wants to touch B now they're helpless to resist.
Then you can take it from there.

When I give the characters a reason to be in the scene, their responses to the action feels less forced to me, and they sometimes head off doing things I didn't think of when I started. Because they have their own motivations, their actions feel more organic and less dancing puppet.

Also if you think your friend might be exploring BDSM, just ask them. I've had several conversations over coffee with people I know about my understanding of the Life, but then again I'm happy to talk to people about all kinds of things.

Also like Jim Butchers parking lot, the world of your story is just that YOUR world. If you want a toy to make a certain sound and it doesn't in reality, well in your world is makes that noise.
As long as you're consistent with how things work in your world, most readers won't know or care.
Whatever was posted is always meant in love and respect never to offend.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

I've been listening to my kinky pencil here's my current work

My current Competition entry is here
A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.