Long story or break it down into parts

last reply
10 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What is better? A story of 6000+ words or break it down into 2- 3000 word parts, or even smaller venues? I've asked other authors and it is about a 50/50 split.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Keep it as one. Multi-part stories on lush usually get fewer readers with each chapter and 6k+ is not THAT many words.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Don't break down anything that can be presented as a single submission. ( 10 k words or less ) Even stories in wildly popular categories take a nosedive in views when they're spread across multiple submissions.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Okay, I posted chap 1(2k) have submitted #2(4k) have about 17k after that so that should be a 10k and a 7k submission? That probably explains the no votes or comments as well.
"Illegitimis non carborundum." Vinger Joe Stllwell

What you learn in life is important; those you help learn are more.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Once you're breaking something down, I don't think how much you break it down matters all that much. More important is probably breaking it down in logical places that make the readership it will draw hungry for the next chapter.

Novels is probably a slow category. I haven't posted in the category or looked at the numbers much here, but it's a low-readership category pretty much everywhere else, so I'd assume that's especially true here, where very short works rule the roost.

Quote by Pelwrath
Okay, I posted chap 1(2k) have submitted #2(4k) have about 17k after that so that should be a 10k and a 7k submission? That probably explains the no votes or comments as well.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thanks for the advice.
"Illegitimis non carborundum." Vinger Joe Stllwell

What you learn in life is important; those you help learn are more.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I post my stories in installments where there is a natural break or 'cliffhanger' but you do lose readership. That said the faithful will stick with you
Wild at Heart
0 likes
You’ll get diminishing returns if you break it up. You’re probably not a master of the cliffhanger if you’re even asking. Just might as well full schlong em with the whole thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Question, hope I'm in the right place now.
I have about 100,000 words, part of an even longer story. I want to put that sub story up here. It will stand alone without a problem. I'm currently editing it to remove a little bit of content that is not permissible here. It's in chapters of 7,500 + words. What would be the best way for me to put it up here. It seems like a lot of the stories here are shorter than my chapters.
Any and all advice will be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you, amy
kisses, amy
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by amy221
Question, hope I'm in the right place now.
I have about 100,000 words, part of an even longer story. I want to put that sub story up here. It will stand alone without a problem. I'm currently editing it to remove a little bit of content that is not permissible here. It's in chapters of 7,500 + words. What would be the best way for me to put it up here. It seems like a lot of the stories here are shorter than my chapters.
Any and all advice will be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you, amy

Hi Amy. Thanks for your question.

We have a 10,000 word cap for our stories. Multiple part stories are fine, but each part you submit would have to be 10,000 words or less.

Hope that answers your question!

--Ravenstar
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you RavenStar,

That does answer my question. It sounds like each of my chapters of 7,500 to about 9,000 words must go up separately, that's perfect for me. If I have other questions I'll ask here.

Thank you,

amy
kisses, amy