Login

How to combat writers block.

last reply
15 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I can only write if I have a definite idea for a scene, when I don't I can't write at all. How do I combat writers block?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When you figure that one out S.o.A., post the remedy here - I'm sure we'd all like to know that one!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
My cure for writer's block: write anyway. If it sucks (and it probably will at first) you can just delete it. If it doesn't suck, then hey, you've conquered your writer's block!
living dead girl
0 likes
I do a lot of different things when I have writers block

I usually start with a coffee or a Bang energy drink
then I either read or watch a movie or listen to music
Also look to the people around you and all around you for inspiration
its literally everywhere you look.

Start typing anything, everything ..it doesn't really matter what you just need to type and get the wheels to start turning.

Also sometimes just looking at pictures helps
or going to a new place.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by SonofAphrodite
I can only write if I have a definite idea for a scene, when I don't I can't write at all. How do I combat writers block?

If you need a 'definite idea' to lock on to, make sure to keep a notepad / app handy to capture anything useful when you're going about your day, rather than opening your laptop and expecting inspiration to arrive at that very moment; know what you're going to write before you sit down to write. If it's not happening, go and do something else.

My ideas tend to come when I'm doing something mindless - sitting on a bus is a great one for me because I hear snippets of conversation and see people going about their every day lives - when I get home from work, I'm ready to brain dump for an hour.

I do my ironing first thing on Sunday morning and then brain dump after that.

Having that writing routine really helps me to focus.

I'm actually struggling at the moment as I'm trying 'to force' a Christmas themed ebook out - after all, Christmas tends to be at the same time every year! - when my head is full of two other stories, which will become "Wet Knicker Society" and "Sex in Space" part 3 or 4. I've got too many ideas.

Here's three random ideas stolen from my 'Ideas' folder from the 'overheard bus conversations' category:

Missing Condom
Sex Makes Everything Better
Tyler's Game
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton
My ideas tend to come when I'm doing something mindless

^^ This.

Let your mind freewheel. My best ideas often come when I'm washing the dishes after dinner. Half an hour or so of complete nothing to let the mind wander, then scribble down what comes out afterwards. If there's ever a reason not to get an automatic dishwasher, that's it.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 104 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 70 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

0 likes
I think you’ve got to be in the right frame of mind to write, you can’t force it. If I’m in the mood to write I’ll scribble some ideas on an A4 jotter then google images to match the ideas. From that, I’ll often get a title and general story idea. It only works if you’re already feeling creative, though. If I’m not in the mood to write, I read instead. Or sleep. Quite often the latter.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Quite honestly, if I have writer's block, I read something(s) from an author I love. It stirs something in my mind and I want to write in response.

EDIT: and everything Vanessa said, of course.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There's a lot of great advice here. Verbal's idea to write anyway is one of my favorites. Sit down with the intention in mind of writing something terrible that you know you're just going to delete. At the very least it's gets you pushing out some words. Abigail's idea of having a routine, too. Routine will set you free, like writing at the same time of day.

But the main thing about writers' block is just to accept it and realize it's going to be part of EVERYONE's process whether we like it or not. Embrace the void.
The Bruiser
0 likes
I have found that playing word games can help. Going for a walk outside can help clear your mind. Even write down some story ideas down and go from there

For the past few months I’ve been using Instagram and been using the site to post my photography . Here’s the link to my profile 

https://www.instagram.com/farmerroger1/

My recommended read

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/amongst-the-arabian-sands

here’s a link to my photography album in my media

https://www.lushstories.com/profile/farmerroger/media?album=2399646

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
When I have writer's block, I work on my other creative pursuits (photography and crocheting) until the spark comes back. This post has given me an idea for a post I want to write for my blog.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
My cure for writer's block: write anyway. If it sucks (and it probably will at first) you can just delete it. If it doesn't suck, then hey, you've conquered your writer's block!

Don't delete anything, no matter how bad it may seem at first. Put it in "storage," so to speak. Eventually, you may find it does lead to something unexpected.
Resident Otaku
0 likes
I had massive writers' block when I first started the series I'm doing. I begun writing it at 18, came back to it a few years later briefly and then abandoned it for nine years. Now I write most days. Everything is saved. Sometimes I'll get a massive source of inspiration for a scene but I struggle with getting the words down so I jot down an outline or just a few lines and come back to it at a later date. Sometimes I'll struggle on the next plausible scene so I'll skip to what I want to write then come back to it when I'm ready.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm new here, so saying hello wonderful Lushees/Lushites/Eroticans!

Here's what works for me. Some of this has been stated by others, so I'm just piling on.

Writing every day is the most important thing. If I'm uninspired to write what I need to write for the next scene, I write something different - whether that's journaling what's bothering me and has me blocked, brainstorming other scene ideas, new plots - whatever. A daily writing practice helps disassociate writing from becoming dependent on my mood.

It's easier to write a crappy draft than to create a masterpiece on a blank page. Good is not the enemy of perfect. Write a subpar draft, then edit and polish it. Rinse and repeat until you have something you like. Never be afraid that you're going to write something of poor quality if you can edit it after writing. The beauty of this technique is that the more you write, the better your draft work will become over time.

Write with a plan. When possible I separate pre-writing from actual writing so that I can write at an even pace when I'm typing paragraphs. I tend to do brainstorming and plotting in the AM when my brain is fresh - Oh, and when I'm horny. Nothing inspires erotica like horny.

(Bonus) Find a writing partner - whether that's a co-writer, a brainstorming enthusiast, someone to check in on you, or just a good friend with a sick sense of humor (the sicker, the better). Bouncing ideas off of someone you trust can be a huge win to keep you driven and can offer a bit of accountability if the relationship is right.

A
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton

If you need a 'definite idea' to lock on to, make sure to keep a notepad / app handy to capture anything useful when you're going about your day, rather than opening your laptop and expecting inspiration to arrive at that very moment; know what you're going to write before you sit down to write. If it's not happening, go and do something else.

My ideas tend to come when I'm doing something mindless - sitting on a bus is a great one for me because I hear snippets of conversation and see people going about their every day lives - when I get home from work, I'm ready to brain dump for an hour.

I do my ironing first thing on Sunday morning and then brain dump after that.

Having that writing routine really helps me to focus.

I'm actually struggling at the moment as I'm trying 'to force' a Christmas themed ebook out - after all, Christmas tends to be at the same time every year! - when my head is full of two other stories, which will become "Wet Knicker Society" and "Sex in Space" part 3 or 4. I've got too many ideas.

Here's three random ideas stolen from my 'Ideas' folder from the 'overheard bus conversations' category:

Missing Condom
Sex Makes Everything Better
Tyler's Game

Having more than one thing going at once actually helps, I think. You can edit/proofread something that is closer to be published. In other words, reading/checking stuff you've already written should help the situation. "Hey, I did this before and that means I can do it again." I also look back at some older unfinished stories and ideas I jotted down but never attempted. In one case I got back to a concept from about two years ago and this time it worked.

Imagining sequels or even prequels to existing stories can be helpful too. The basic story concept is already there; now the task is to extend it in time. If a new story in a series isn't happening, then ignore it for a while.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I tend to resolve it one of two ways.

First, is to take a break and work on something else real quick. I have been working on one story for almost 3 years now, but I have tossed out over a dozen short stories in that time as well. Mostly when I felt the story was getting to "cute", and I wanted to write something darker. So I would toss one out, then resume writing.

If it is more serious, what I actually do is restart the entire chapter I am stuck on. Quite often, at least to me it seems to happen when somewhere inside I know it is not working, so I simply restart that chapter and try again. 9 times out of 10 that then clears it up. I have quite a few chapters with (old version) appended at the end, those are where I had to do a restart. And I may revisit it and try to incorporate it at a later time.