0 likes
no post just a HI THERE!
Lush Legend
0 likes
Heelllloooooooo Gav!.....
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Code Monkey
0 likes
opps, my bad. a whole thread dedicated to me, and i go awol!

i better stop by this place more often, rather than chiping away at this keyboard crafting code.

hi everybody

actually i have the social repetoire of this guy, best keep me out of public view

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
You know you can stop by now an then.

Geez, I program and I'm here.

Gav stop by more. And thanks for all you do.

Bat
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello Gav,
Nice work on the messenger. I and my friend are working on a similar thing but it has a room chat room also, anyway, you must have worked really hard so yeah... kudos to you.
CuriousJayUK -
CuriousJay means that I have a few things, some concerning certain taboos, I am curious about. Not that I am bi-curious.
Code Monkey
0 likes
thanks for all your kind words.

if anyone has ideas or suggestions (for the chat) let me know.

maybe a sound when a message arrives, inviting others?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I personally think: don't create the option to have more than one-to-one conversations because when there's a possibility of having everyone talking in one place it all gets a little overwhelming and will put some people off; leaving some people out; making them feel not apart of the community. Also, anyone who doesn't chat in the big conversation but will chat in a one-to-one may be looked at as some weirdo because no-one knows him/her and no-one can understand why him or her aren't talking in the "main chat". Sure, I know the forums are a big conversation for everyone to partake in, but if no-one makes any posts you hardly notice.
</all based off personal experience when managing my own website>

I would suggest some way of making it more obvious that a new message has been received. Sound, in theory, is a good idea but then what sound do you use that isn't annoying? Also, when using sound it can not only get annoying but interupt the users music or they may just not bother with audio.
Some visual indication is what I suggest: forcing the window to flash when a new message is received is a popular method.
Talking of new messages: could you please make it more accurate? ...i.e. When I am chatting with people it will say as a title 'New message' (or whatever it says) and it'll keep alternating between this and whatever it alternates with even when you have the window open, read the message, replied and minimised it.

Oh and emoticon shortcuts: can we make these more generic? i.e. Not case sensitive or if they must be then add capital letters to the shortcuts (e.g. :P will only work when using smaller case letters {silly}).

That's all for now. biggrin
CuriousJayUK -
CuriousJay means that I have a few things, some concerning certain taboos, I am curious about. Not that I am bi-curious.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by CuriousJayUK
I personally think: don't create the option to have more than one-to-one conversations because when there's a possibility of having everyone talking in one place it all gets a little overwhelming and will put some people off; leaving some people out; making them feel not apart of the community. Also, anyone who doesn't chat in the big conversation but will chat in a one-to-one may be looked at as some weirdo because no-one knows him/her and no-one can understand why him or her aren't talking in the "main chat". Sure, I know the forums are a big conversation for everyone to partake in, but if no-one makes any posts you hardly notice.
</all based off personal experience when managing my own website>

I would suggest some way of making it more obvious that a new message has been received. Sound, in theory, is a good idea but then what sound do you use that isn't annoying? Also, when using sound it can not only get annoying but interupt the users music or they may just not bother with audio.
Some visual indication is what I suggest: forcing the window to flash when a new message is received is a popular method.
Talking of new messages: could you please make it more accurate? ...i.e. When I am chatting with people it will say as a title 'New message' (or whatever it says) and it'll keep alternating between this and whatever it alternates with even when you have the window open, read the message, replied and minimised it.

Oh and emoticon shortcuts: can we make these more generic? i.e. Not case sensitive or if they must be then add capital letters to the shortcuts (e.g. :P will only work when using smaller case letters {silly}).

That's all for now. biggrin

I would agree on the chat room scenario. I have used them before and been overwhelmed by all the messages flying past. sometimes its an advantage being on a 56k modem

Flashing the (browser) window upon a new message proved difficult. I had to opt for the less than optimal changing the window title. IE proved particularly difficult in recognising the window focus, and shutting down the window blink. I'll spend some more time investgating other ways around this.

Shortcuts, yes we can fix! Bad habit leaving sting comparisons case sensitive.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by gav
I would agree on the chat room scenario. I have used them before and been overwhelmed by all the messages flying past. sometimes its an advantage being on a 56k modem

I am pleasantly surprised to discover that you agree; I had a feeling as though I'd have to defend my corner on that one.

Quote by gav
I'll spend some more time investgating other ways around this.

Thank you.

Quote by gav
Shortcuts, yes we can fix! Bad habit leaving sting comparisons case sensitive.

Again, thank you.
CuriousJayUK -
Lurker
0 likes
I know Tech agrees with me that the strength of this chat interface lies in the simplicity. I really enjoy it!
I've spent years in adult chat rooms and I can tell you people are not judged if they are in private or public conversations. Both methods are provided and people use what they like.
The rooms we go to allow up to 25 people to talk in the room. It's not chaotic at all because every message sent is usually sent to a specific person, in the room, for all to see.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
It's not chaotic at all because every message sent is usually sent to a specific person, in the room, for all to see.

lol << does LushStories have that emoticon? I guess we'll find out when I've posted.

Anyway, yes, thus pointless having the room at all. Sure, someone could raise a topic to a specific person and then a few could butt in and that topic could be discussed for about two minutes and then we're back to the same stage, stage one where it's just person-to-person discussions just in the public eye; rather pointless if you ask me.
Also, "I spent years in adult chat rooms" made me laugh. :P That aside though, if one doesn't get judged then it still leaves the key point of: the feeling of being left out of the community.
I too used to visit chat rooms (rarely these days 'cause not one is good) and could barely keep up, so many topics and so many people it was just pointless. If anything, it was to see who could speak English and who couldn't. :-/
CuriousJayUK -
Lush Legend
0 likes
Lush did you hire a consultant that I am not aware of?......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
Lush did you hire a consultant that I am not aware of?

<_<
CuriousJayUK -
Lush Legend
0 likes
Sorry I'm not fluent in sign language Jay.......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
Sorry I'm not fluent in sign language Jay.

What did you mean by: "Lush did you hire a consultant that I am not aware of?"
CuriousJayUK -
Lush Legend
0 likes
Exactly what I wrote and it was a question directed to Lush.......
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
Exactly what I wrote and it was a question directed to Lush.

lol <rolls eyes>
CuriousJayUK -
Lush Legend
0 likes
<drinking coffee>
Matriarch
0 likes
Please leave chat related feedback in the chat thread, it's easier for Gav to track what is being suggested.

We're highly unlikely to be setting up a chat room in here. It's more hassle than it's worth on so many levels.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
Lush did you hire a consultant that I am not aware of?......

LOL
Lurker
0 likes
Also, "I spent years in adult chat rooms" made me laugh.

Why is that so funny, Jay?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool

I second the question. For someone who can apparently write a dissertation on adult chatrooms and has 3 paragraphs of suggestions on the subject, it's a little dubious to take shots at someone else who spends time there from time to time.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Quote by Juliasari
Quote by roccotool

I second the question. For someone who can apparently write a dissertation on adult chatrooms and has 3 paragraphs of suggestions on the subject, it's a little dubious to take shots at someone else who spends time there from time to time.

I third the question and am curious to find out the answer.......
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
Quote by Zafia
Quote by Juliasari
Quote by roccotool

I third the question and am curious to find out the answer.......

Let mine be inquiry number four. I have visited adult chatrooms as well.

My current Dirty Talk Competition story: His Voice

My newest story: The Last Dance - Part Three

My latest micro: Your Slutty Mouth

My latest famous story: The Office Whore - Part 1

Matriarch
0 likes
I don't think he'll be dropping by any time soon
Lurker
0 likes

Dropping?
Code Monkey
0 likes
whats happened to my poor thread

Lush Legend
0 likes
Oh we're done Gav....back to business.....
Lurker
0 likes
Blows the smoke off my gun and Zaf's. We're done.

I spent many a night playing that game, Gav. It let you get your frustrations out in a hurry.

I feel we should add that game to the site.

Just kidding!!