Good enough to publish?

last reply
7 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been using some down time to work on a few new stories, and a few non-erotic ones. Hubby's been reading them all, and he thinks I could have some short stories published in various magazines. Is he just being nice, or do I show any real promise? And by magazines I don't mean Penthouse Forum... Be brutally honest, please, I do not want to embarrass myself when the rejection letter says things like "Your writing is unquestionably the worst shit we have ever seen. Please refrain from bothering us with any more of this wretched offal. Have a crappy day, The Editor."
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Lurker
0 likes
Which ones Queenie?

And don't let the letters bother you. I've got a few in my life and I'm not letting it stop me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by castlequeen
I've been using some down time to work on a few new stories, and a few non-erotic ones. Hubby's been reading them all, and he thinks I could have some short stories published in various magazines. Is he just being nice, or do I show any real promise? And by magazines I don't mean Penthouse Forum... Be brutally honest, please, I do not want to embarrass myself when the rejection letter says things like "Your writing is unquestionably the worst shit we have ever seen. Please refrain from bothering us with any more of this wretched offal. Have a crappy day, The Editor."

Somewhere on the Lush Forum I saw a rejection letter or a link to a rejection letter sent to an eventual famous author. This particular letter said, and I am paraphrasing, your story is good enough to make a comment on but it is not what we publish. To me that was a clue that whatever you send in to a particular publisher needs to meet their guidelines and for lack of a better word "local culture".

I worked for some time in academia. Papers would get rejected for any number of reasons. The editor didn't like you, it wasn't good enough, revise and submit, etc. So you would "shop it around". The point is you can expect rejections and sometimes there will be no reasons for it.

I have read about famous authors who suffered continual rejections, just like actors on the cattle calls. You best bet is to accept rejection and keep submitting until you break through.

Penthouse might not be bad if your article fit. Steven King submitted his early stuff to "Men's Magazines", it was the only place that would publish him.

Good luck
Lurker
0 likes
For what its worth, I think you are a very good writersmile
Lollipop Girl
0 likes
go for it hun!!!
"Haters make me FAMOUS!!!"

Sassy
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by castlequeen

Castlequeen I havent read any of your work (yet) but you do express yourself with the written word well. as far as rejections, i agree with all that say dont let it break you. just keep knocking at the door, one day they might be knocking at yours. Good luck, going to find some of your writing now.
Lurker
0 likes
I've actually had a few stories published by a company called Group MVP. You should check them out if you're interested in getting some of your work in print. They don't pay a whole lot, but it could be a good stepping stone for other oppurtunities.
Lurker
0 likes
Hi CastleQueen

I think that getting the first rejection letter has a learning curve. You figure out either: a) how to sell your work to the masses (or mini-masses); or b) be true to your own love of writing ... and ultimately submit again and again - hopefully learning and creating and editing again and again.

And as someone who works with an ongoing version editing ... just remember to save the original and all versions labelled (for example: FirstStory.v1 ... then, FirstStory.v2). That alone may save you lots of frustrations - and if you've edited something out and you think "that would be great in this story" ... you have it!

So ... go for getting published!! What a thrilling emotion it will be when you receive a letter or even better, a phone call saying ... "We LOVED your story!"

Van
xo