Friends with another author?

last reply
3 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Do you find benefits of being friends with other authors like yourself, having the same interest in what they like to read and write?

I personally want more author friends with the same interest as me, but by mom who's an author herself says it's no good. What do you think?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it depends on what kind of person you are.

If you're a person that likes conversing about ideas, brainstorming with others, etc, then having author friends to talk shop with will be amazing for you.

If you're a person that doesn't like your thoughts and ideas challenged, or find it tiresome to debate finer points with someone who you think has a crazy point of view, then keeping to yourself would be beneficial to society as a whole. smile

Personally I like to have author friends who are on the same wavelength as I am in terms of communication skills etc. I don't mind when someone points out a fault in my work, even if I think that particular thing isn't a fault. Broadening myself in terms of being a writer includes being shaped (to a degree) by the thoughts and emotions of others.

I don't like friends who are only friends so I'll read their drivel and stoke their ego. Heaven forbid I actually critique it.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I believe it has it's benefits as well it's downfalls. On the uptake of things, you are sharing ideas hoping for feedback on the idea, which will hopefully lead into another great idea. You also gain the benefit of another person's experiences that you yourself might not have experienced or had the same experience. I love bouncing ideas off of my friends to see what they may think about a certain topic I might be writing about.

Downfall is you have to be open to their reactions. I know for me, since my friends are usually the ones that I'm bouncing ideas off of, they tend to be more harsh. I would rather know I might be heading down the wrong path.
Just let it go.