A question about spell checkers

last reply
9 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My version of word (2007) accepts some words that the corrector on the site does not. Should I upgrade word?
Examples, My version (Realise) The site Realize)
(dildo) I replaced with dong, hope it is accepted
( Clit) The site( clitoris)
Please do not interpret this as complaining. It is just the observations of a newbie. I have now learned that the site has a corrector and will use it in the future.
Fran26
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe the site uses an American-English spell-check, which is why you're getting the error on "realise" which is the correct British spelling of the word.
The words "dildo" and "clit" are acceptable, even if the spell-check flags them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the answer.
I do have a spell checker but it is the King's English The version I learnt in School
I will see if I can find a spell cheker that will be in American English
Merci
Francine
Internet Sensation
0 likes
I'd say, stick to your own language. no need to become an American writer if you're normally using Brittish-english.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Catnip. Stick with what you learned. Besides, both American and British spelling is accepted by the Moderators. The spell checker is limited in a way because it doesn't have words that are in common usage with writers of erotica. It's a great tool, but the person using it needs to know when to make the distinction between what really does need to be corrected, and what is acceptable.

The spell checker will not catch mistakes made with homonyms, for example, or when the wrong word is used in the context of the story. In that case, the word is considered to be spelled wrong, even though it exists in its own right as a word.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
You know, if you British people would only learn how to spell there wouldn't be all this confusion...

Only kidding...put the knives down...

I'm not British, but apart from that, why would I put down the knives? They're something I love and collect. I'm just saying...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Loll Dirtymartini
I don't have that many knifes, just a couple shotguns :-)))
Have fun, Sans Rancune
Fran
Lurker
0 likes
You can program in certain spellings of words usually into the program you have. Now don't ask where it is I just know it is a feature on some of them
Matriarch
0 likes
Gypsy is correct, British English and American English are both fine, British English more so of course

We recommend you always read over your story several times before submitting it, the spell checkers are limited, and will not pick up incorrectly used words or phrases. A few examples:

"Less then" should be "less than".

Two, too and to are all valid words, but each has a separate meaning.