last reply
13 replies
8.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Does any one know why asstr.org is down? All I get is:

The DNS name does not exist.
Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

First time I am hearing about this website.

For me, after I've Googled site, it keeps loading.

And it's still loading.

--
Edit:

It's been on its last legs for better than a decade. I'm honestly shocked someone has been paying the bills for as long as they have.
Wow. I haven't even thought of ASSTR is a long time. I'm an old Usenet hound so actually read some of it in its original form on alt.sex.stories. Was always a bit of a s-show though, quality wise. Probably why I prefer moderated story sites likes this now.
This saddens me to no end...

Before the story sites, there was this all the way back to the 90s. I ran across ASSTR in college and got hooked on erotic stories. I wouldn't have started writing had it not been for that site. I know it's been dying for ages, but ugh....

Remember, the Left Lingula is always closest to the heart & everyone deserves to have that heart full of love...

My Newest: Nightshade Part 1

And My Fav: Turning Stephanie Insatiable: A tale of a wife's discovery...

I just Googled 'ASSTR' to see if it was still appearing in search results and saw this.

I thought nah, there's no way they'd show results for that on Google. Clicked on it. Clicked off it.

Never mind dying a slow death, ASSTR should be burned at the fucking stake.

Quote by Liz
I just Googled 'ASSTR' to see if it was still appearing in search results and saw this.

I thought nah, there's no way they'd show results for that on Google. Clicked on it. Clicked off it.

This makes me want to vomit... Good riddance

Remember, the Left Lingula is always closest to the heart & everyone deserves to have that heart full of love...

My Newest: Nightshade Part 1

And My Fav: Turning Stephanie Insatiable: A tale of a wife's discovery...

Quote by Liz

It was an archive of posts from an unmoderated Usenet group so no shock there. You could post pretty much any garbage you liked on the alt. groups. Glad it is gone, but its existence shouldn't surprise or shock anyone who entered that world back in its heyday.
Quote by seeker4
It was an archive of posts from an unmoderated Usenet group so no shock there. You could post pretty much any garbage you liked on the alt. groups. Glad it is gone, but its existence shouldn't surprise or shock anyone who entered that world back in its heyday.

No, it’s not. It links to the page of an ASSTR publisher with 100+ stories listed. They’re all still live and accessible.
Quote by Liz

No, it’s not. It links to the page of an ASSTR publisher with 100+ stories listed. They’re all still live and accessible.

Interesting. So someone got their hands on the domain and used it for their own purposes? Cute. Because there used to be a hell of a lot more than 100+ but I have not been there in probably over a decade.
Quote by seeker4
Interesting. So someone got their hands on the domain and used it for their own purposes? Cute. Because there used to be a hell of a lot more than 100+ but I have not been there in probably over a decade.

No. The site is back up same as it ever was - they were probably just having technical difficulties.

Authors are given directories of the main domain to publish their work on. That link above takes you to one such directory.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood your post about it being a Usenet Group scrape. Thought you were talking specifically about the page I mentioned.
Damn!

Glad I never knew of it until the OP brought the site up.
Quote by seeker4

It was an archive of posts from an unmoderated Usenet group so no shock there.

Actually, it was moderated. But only to keep out the spam posts that flooded many USENET groups into worthlessness decades ago.

This is why the archive is of the group known as "ASSM", for Alt.sex.stories.moderated.

However, there was no moderation for content or quality. Simply to keep the obvious commercial spam out.

And 25 years or so ago, it was how most of us published our works. Sites like this came along much later, and did not exist at that time. However, it is interesting as an archive. And shows what the early erotica was like when many of us made the first jump from BBS systems to the Internet.

And a lot of us who later became more well known started there. Anne Douglas being one of the most well known.
Quote by Mushroom0311

Actually, it was moderated. But only to keep out the spam posts that flooded many USENET groups into worthlessness decades ago.

This is why the archive is of the group known as "ASSM", for Alt.sex.stories.moderated.

However, there was no moderation for content or quality. Simply to keep the obvious commercial spam out.

And 25 years or so ago, it was how most of us published our works. Sites like this came along much later, and did not exist at that time. However, it is interesting as an archive. And shows what the early erotica was like when many of us made the first jump from BBS systems to the Internet.

And a lot of us who later became more well known started there. Anne Douglas being one of the most well known.

ASSTR was only assm. Thought it archived the whole ASS hierarchy?? It's been a long time since I have bothered with the place, though, so memory is probably faulty.