Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What have you read, that you've never forgotten?

last reply
74 replies
9.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Surrender The Dark by L.A. Banks
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
"Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. Simply written, but such a deep meaning. I carry it with me almost everyday (not literally). It seems a bit silly, but it's quite an amazing little read.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
There's quite a few, but the one's I can think of now are: Of Mice and Men, the ending was so sad sad, and any Edgar Allen Poe stories but especially The Cask of Amontillado, creepy ending. Hmm I guess any book that had a powerful ending scene.
Lurker
0 likes
A Very Hungry Caterpillar
Lurker
0 likes
Sir Nobonk and the Terrible Dreadful Awful Naughty Nasty Dragon by Spike Milligan
Lurker
0 likes
dune by frank herbert

g
Lurker
0 likes
Hmmmmm.... several books. The Lord of the Rings which is the epitome of illustrating good vs. evil. Gabriel Garcia Marquez Love in the Time of Cholera. I can't think of anyone at the moment who can encapsulate life, warts and all, as well as he does. Cormac McCarthy's The Road and his Border Trilogy as well as Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology for being able to exhibit that which cannot be described or conveyed.
Lurker
0 likes

Ahh just adored the Roald Dahl collection smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Book Thief. Had me reading all night.
"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
“All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. ... Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.”
― Carlos Castaneda, The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
“We are men and our lot in life is to learn and to be hurled into inconceivable new worlds.”
― Carlos Castaneda, Separate Reality
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
“Death is the only wise adviser that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you're wrong; that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.”
― Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan
Story Verifier
0 likes
The two that keep popping into my mind as I see what's going on in the United States these days is George Orwell's '1984'. So prophetic and not too far off time wise considering it was written in 1934 when many of the ideas presented in '1984' were considered too 'preposterous' to imagine they might ever be realized. The second is Margaret Atwood's 'A Handmaid's Tale', a much more recent work, but one many people also see as being somewhat prophetic in nature.

The one I feel is pure rubbish but one I'm surprised I didn't see listed (at least on this page) is Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. It's treated like a political manifesto, when in reality, it's just poorly written, bad fiction that doesn't hold up.
Lurker
0 likes
"Men are all the same, they are only after one thing!" Well boys ... I say come and get it if your hard enough lol.
0 likes
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. It's the story of his time in Auschwitz and how that informed logotherapy, the school of psychotherapy that he founded. Compelling read in the rather crowded field of Holocaust literature.

And I'll second 1984 from TheGulfCoaster's post above. Haven't read it since I studied it in high school but I've never forgotten it and I'm bugging my son to read it (his Grade 8 class is doing a unit on dystopias).
Lurker
0 likes
"Click!...Here it was again! He was walking along the cliff at Hunstanton and it had come again...Click!"

Hangover Square...Patrick Hamilton

The beginning...and the end!