Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Well, that fell upon stony ground

last reply
18 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
366 reads, 0 comments, and 0 votes. The reaction to my latest story, The Game. Is it that boring? confusing? unfinishable? I've had feedback from private sources and it has been laudatory. "It made me horny" was a typical response. But here, not even a "this story sucks" and a reason/s why. Is this level of disinterest an unusual response from Lush readers?
Quote by oldroo
366 reads, 0 comments, and 0 votes. The reaction to my latest story, The Game. Is it that boring? confusing? unfinishable? I've had feedback from private sources and it has been laudatory. "It made me horny" was a typical response. But here, not even a "this story sucks" and a reason/s why. Is this level of disinterest an unusual response from Lush readers?

This may seem obvious to some people but I have found it is fairly necessary to actually make some friends, begin talking with them, readng other people's stories, commenting, and scoring. Try to actively create some networking and see if that helps. It appears you have zero friends at the moment. You would know best how many other people you have viewd and commented upon.

But give it a few days of actually interacting with folks here and you might be surprised what will happen. Just a suggestion.
and honest, if a bit blunt, critique - it's a LOT of back and forth dialogue which gets really confusing very quickly as to who is talking to who. also, pure dialogue like that, with nothing else happening, doesn't tend to be very sexy. next time, more action, less talk. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Aw, HRS where's the fun in that. I admit it does require a close read and even then it can get a little confusing. But, hey, the best nookie can be confusing, knowing where one person ends and the other begins. When you are that close... From my experience, there is much more in life than earth-shattering climaxes. For me, it is connecting with people. Hence, I try to develop characters and show how their personalities inform their experiences. Consequently, I try and show things rather than tell them. But, many thanks for your feedback, it is muchly appreciated.
366 reads, it's low numbers wise to get a lot of comments or any at all. It's not because your story is bad or anything (I haven't read it, just assuming it's not garbage). I think one of the problems may be the title. "The Game" is a very very very very generic title for an erotic story. It's like calling an action movie "The Chase". Just very generic. Might have just made people scroll past it. I would definitely consider coming up with something either a lot more detailed to attract lovers of a fetish or a lot more mysterious in an original way to attract people looking for an actual read. None is better than the other, just saying you gotta work on the bait on your hook to catch those fishies, in my opinion.
Green Man, thanks for your input. I have commented on a couple of people's stories. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time to hang out on Lush, spit, spit. My life is kinda busy, what with work, writing, and living/observing. So I will be patient and try to find time to read more here. Again, thanks for your advice.
Well Roo, considering your story has been out for less than a week, I think 366 reads is pretty good! And don't worry so much about the comments and scores. First off, scores don't mean anything unless you are in a competition. Most of your friends will score you high and the rest will score depending on their interest, their mood that day, the position of the sun, whether they got laid last night, or any number of other factors!

And comments are a poor judge too because a lot of people won't leave comments even if they liked the story because they are shy or feel their opinion isn't worth putting down - or they are so full of themselves that they think their word is Gospel!

No what you should be watching is your reads. That means that people took the time to at least check out your story. And it's the views that will make your story Famous or Legendary. And the more reads it gets, the more other people will check it out just to see what all the hullaboo is about!

BTW some of my stories are slow starters too!

Jonathan
Felix and Jonathon, Thanks for your comments and your perspectives about reads. Obviously, as a Rookie Scribe, I'm new to these parts. I chose the title for its double meaning; a kids pass time and an occupation, as in she/he's on The Game. I'm halfway through a sequel which in part revolves around another kid's game. Whether there will be more depends upon my ability to find an interesting way for adults to subvert kid's innocent past times.
Hmm, seems like the nature of your 2 stories was very different, and the first one received a much better response. It was (from a quick skim) a much easier read and it had more going on to hold the reader's attention and interest.

The more recent one, to be honest, lost me in the extremely long exchange of dialogue. You were doing well up till then, but it became difficult to follow, with almost no dialogue tags at all. (The opposite, dialogue tagging every line, is just as bad. There is a happy medium to be found.) So yes, it was confusing, and once it becomes confusing or tedious it becomes too much effort to try to figure out and people give up. It's supposed to be entertainment, not studying math equations or organic chemistry for a test.

A dialogue-driven story is fine - in fact, I'm a fan and use it myself somethimes - but setting (both time and place), atmosphere, character building outside of verbal exchanges, so many things add interest outside of pure dialogue. At some point, in long runs of nothing but chatter, you start to feel like you're trapped on a plane in the middle seat of the row, between two people that JUST WON'T SHUT UP! It's especially painful because you don't know the people, haven't had a chance to learn anything about them or develop any feelings for them, and so don't care at all about what they're conversing about. It's just noise - and that's when you can actually see and understand which one is speaking.

Also, GreenMan is right. This is a community of readers and authors (and chat room fans and forum game players and folks that just love smut...) and all of the things he recommends make a huge difference. Replying to comments - as you seem to do - is a good step, but nothing beats reading, commenting, interacting in the forums a bit, and making a few friends when it comes to getting views on your work. I understand the time limitations completely, but I can't even tell you the number of times I've gone and read a great story or picked up a book on the recommendation of a friend. Often, certainly.

I hope that helps a bit - it's just my viewpoint, or my , so take it as such. (BTW, I have stories with 10,000 to 20,000 or more views, and many of them only have 30 - 50 comments or votes. The ratio in general is not high, but if you get a few thousand views initially and 15,000 or more views over time, you're probably doing something right. Or that's what I tell myself...)
You didn't get 366 reads. You got 366 page views.
You need to get readers all the way to the end for them to see the scoring and comment boxes. Even then, don't expect every reader to give you a score or comment.
Not many would have made it to the end of your story. I didn't.

Apart from my sig, I don't self-promote or network or beg friends for scores or comments.
With that in mind, from here and from other sites I've posted, I reckon one score per hundred views and one comment per thousand is pretty good going.
There are plenty of outliers, but that a reasonable rule of thumb.
Quote by Green_Man

This may seem obvious to some people but I have found it is fairly necessary to actually make some friends, begin talking with them, readng other people's stories, commenting, and scoring. Try to actively create some networking and see if that helps. It appears you have zero friends at the moment. You would know best how many other people you have viewd and commented upon.

But give it a few days of actually interacting with folks here and you might be surprised what will happen. Just a suggestion.

QFT (Quoting For Truth) since we don't have a Like or Reaction button here.

The comments above mine about the low ratios of comments to views are good, too. One thing I have noticed, related to Green_Man's quote above, is that I get more comments now that I have some good connections on the board though interactions on the forums, commenting on other's works, and so on.

The other thing I have noted is that competition entries help you get attention, so watch for comps and try entering some that interest you. My comp entries rack up comments far faster than my non-comp ones (mostly, there are exceptional non-comp stories, though). The current competition is about Masturbation and still has a week to go. My entry got 30 votes and 26 comments in less time than my previous, and similarly themed, non-comp "Strictly Platonic" took to get similar numbers (33 and 22 respectively). And you don't have to worry about winning (unless you're the type who needs that fix) just writing to the theme and other rules can be a challenge and, as I am arguing, it's a good way to get some attention. Just make sure you read and comment on some other entrants per Green_Man's advice.
Another thought:

If you're writing and publishing for acceptance and feedback, join the team.
The greatest majority of authors are like that.

You just have to realize your readers are like customers.
Most never say a thing and are totally happy with the material.
It's only when you go above and beyond or really fuck up that anyone will say anything.
"I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free." Nikos Kazantzakis

Thanks, everyone for your replies, I have found them both helpful and informative. I suspect you will hate the sequel. It is more of the same but with fewer stage directions. Yes, Storm, you will need to bring your brain along cos even entertainment requires an active audience. And, I just love finding ways to bring hi-brow stuff into my smut. Sort of underlines our basic instincts as being nothing new. Mr. Shakespeare and Lewis Carroll have been given a gurnsey, Dylan Thomas is on the bench and AA Milne (gay & food fetish) Kenneth Graham (cross-dressing) are in the change room (pun intended). And what smut would be complete without Geoffery Chaucer and John Dunn? A couple of horn dogs if ever I met one. So, hold on to your hats, or any other piece of apparel of your choice, this ride is just beginning. Where Rory and Molly take us is anybody's guess.
Quote by oldroo
Thanks, everyone for your replies, I have found them both helpful and informative. I suspect you will hate the sequel. It is more of the same but with fewer stage directions. Yes, Storm, you will need to bring your brain along cos even entertainment requires an active audience. And, I just love finding ways to bring hi-brow stuff into my smut. Sort of underlines our basic instincts as being nothing new. Mr. Shakespeare and Lewis Carroll have been given a gurnsey, Dylan Thomas is on the bench and AA Milne (gay & food fetish) Kenneth Graham (cross-dressing) are in the change room (pun intended). And what smut would be complete without Geoffery Chaucer and John Dunn? A couple of horn dogs if ever I met one. So, hold on to your hats, or any other piece of apparel of your choice, this ride is just beginning. Where Rory and Molly take us is anybody's guess.

Some men, you just can't reach.
Quote by oldroo
And what smut would be complete without Geoffery Chaucer and John Dunn? A couple of horn dogs if ever I met one.

I guess of 'the couple of horn dogs if ever I met one', the one you met was Chaucer and not John DONNE.

Write for yourself, but don't expect universal approbation just because you think it's good.
Another bit of advice:

Literary pretensions are generally the kiss of death for good storytelling and entertainment. Not always, but generally. That tends to affect your comments and scores on here, too. Try to tell a good story in the best way you can and leave the self-importance behind.

Incidentally, nice Biblical allusion in your thread title. Just read that parable in a bible study not long ago.
Someone on another site said that you have to write to please yourself first, then the readers. Don't try to pander to them. If it's good, they'll find you. And if you like it and they don't - that's okay too.