Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Losing your way in writting erotic,how to gain your writers mojo back.

last reply
36 replies
5.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Okay all you Lushes out there that read this,here is my problem.lol Note:I hope I'm posting this in the right sections of the forum.

Okay I been feeling for a long while now that I have been losing my mojo in writing.It's like I'm not satisfied with what I write when i try do my rough drafts,yes i admit I have went through a lot of paper.

Now for one I will say I do come up with some amazing ideas,I might start writing a little then end up putting it away for another day.I would take breaks from writing and come back,but writer still nothing sometimes I wanna know Lush people have any of you ever had moments when you just lost your writing mojo.

If so how did you gain it back,I mean I do have experience writing,my 1st story on Lush, I think I wrote when I was 18 or 19,I'm 23 now.Please if any of you can give me some advice,or tips on how you got your inspiration back,it will be surely appreciated.Thank you all.
Lurker
0 likes
One thing is a must, and that is, not to put pressure on yourself. I have found the best way to write, is to be comfortable within myself. Start by picking out a subject, such as a tree (don't laugh) and write what you know about. It's an Ash. It's green, It blooms in Spring and sheds it's leaves in Autumn. Birds nest In Ash and there learn to fly. The young birds learn to tweet and then they retreat. Like I said, writing is easy, when the ink is wet and you hunger for words with feeling and not for words appealing to others.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Well, there's getting stuck, and then there is writer's block. When I'm stuck, I do research, and overload myself with possibilities, until one just falls into place in the story, and I'm off again. Writer's block is more serious. I haven't found a work-around for that yet. I usually work on 5 or more stories at a time, so if one gets stale, I pick up on another one. Sometimes a story takes me years to finish. Other times I can start and finish one in a day.
Lurker
0 likes
Stop masturbating.

Not sure about you - but when I'm happily sexed up the last thing I care about is writing down sexy thoughts. I need to reserve my sexual energy for writing if I want to get anything done.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
lmao!!Yes Your right that's a good idea too,thank you Metilda.= *-)
0 likes
Take a break. My production rate has never been high. Part of it is time and part of it is that I find I kind run of steam when I start "pumping them out".
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
Stop masturbating.

Not sure about you - but when I'm happily sexed up the last thing I care about is writing down sexy thoughts. I need to reserve my sexual energy for writing if I want to get anything done.

That actually works for me too!

The other thing is to take a break and chill. The thing is that sometimes you're just not up to writing and forcing it will ruin the quality of your work. Your ideas will eventually come back and the words will flow easily. Always write what you already have in mind, keep it safe and add to it whenever something comes up, even if its only a sentence or two.

Once in a while, I read back my published stories and the comments and I'm like, "Wow, I really wrote this and its so good! And people love it!" That is motivating to me
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
My best advice is to read. Take advantage of the slump and read. Reading was most likely what brought you to writing.
Step outside of yourself for a while and just let your imagination go. Read for fun, read about writing, even read bad writing. It inspires thought, sometimes raises questions and can often challenge you. It works for me.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Your right my friend,I will try that.lol I notice I stress myself out about it sometime. Maybe because I haven't posted on Lush in a long time,and I want to.I appreciate the advice.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I go through periods where I have no desire to write. I also get writers block, not knowing what to write, whatsoever. I just take a step back and let it come back to me. If I start to write a story and I suddenly lose the desire to write it, I do the same. If that oomph doesn't come back for me, I walk away. However, thankfully, that has only happened once.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Funny thing about writers block is that it can be linked to several things. A lack of inspiration. Outside distraction. A plot roadblock and the need to research more. Or in some cases just a plain loss of interest. I have several stories going at one time. I remember I wrote the Detectives series and it didn't get the type of reviews I wanted so I didn't finish it. I write for myself but also to share with others.
Lurker
0 likes
There is a similar question elsewhere on "Forum" to which I suggested "read any number of trashy poorly written stories, on other web sites of course, and you will say to yourself I can do better than that, and you do."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Adagio
One thing is a must, and that is, not to put pressure on yourself. I have found the best way to write, is to be comfortable within myself. Start by picking out a subject, such as a tree (don't laugh) and write what you know about. It's an Ash. It's green, It blooms in Spring and sheds it's leaves in Autumn. Birds nest In Ash and there learn to fly. The young birds learn to tweet and then they retreat. Like I said, writing is easy, when the ink is wet and you hunger for words with feeling and not for words appealing to others.

Agree completely! Write for the love of it, you will know when it's a good story.

machu
English Gentleman
0 likes
there are times when i have my word document open for days and don't write. i generally need a bit of background noise, whether it's music or a video clip that i tend to ignore while i write. i have about 5 to 10 stories on the go at the same time and switch between then when i lore interest. i go back to them later and its usually fine.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tell ya one thing that utterly DESTROYS the immediacy of a story about something like sex...its pedantic nitpicking of syntax and punctuation. then a long slow protracted re admission only to find more minute mistakes a real editor would simply fix and or ignore in the interests of the tale and the punch its delivered with.

after many years in rock and roll, movie and production of plays etc. the BIG guys couldn't give brass fuck if there's the odd spelling mistake....some real actors, for instance, actually insist on some things being actually written phonetically to get an insight into the writers base idea of the character.

The writing on here IS good (great infact) and there are some FINE writers, but much of it is to a certain level...we want voices of people whom don't necessarily write for a living, writing should be either tough, gritty, and in this case passonate and realistic OR its simply wallpaper.

we as a society reach an entirely different level of understanding when we set aside the rules of convention...particularly in the pursuit of STORY.

I'll get back on here soon with another story, but right now I just do not the time to write about a sexual experience and be in full university of Harvard humanities doctorate mode to complete it to a level that MIGHT be required on this site.

PS: I say this because writers block can often be exacerbated by a feeling of "damn, I spent 5 to 7 hours crafting that story and drawing it out of my head and the boss says its got too many exclamation points...whats the point...hey facebook, cooking, actual sex and living might actually be far less time consuming".

Writers need encouragement not smug (somewhat triumphal) rapped knuckles for not quite sticking to the rules....are we not artists (or with the pretence of becoming artists) after all??....dahh im old fashioned and likely pretty dull but there it is.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
Funny thing about writers block is that it can be linked to several things. A lack of inspiration. Outside distraction. A plot roadblock and the need to research more. Or in some cases just a plain loss of interest. I have several stories going at one time. I remember I wrote the Detectives series and it didn't get the type of reviews I wanted so I didn't finish it. I write for myself but also to share with others.

He is right!!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by ElementalLover
Okay all you Lushes out there that read this,here is my problem.lol Note:I hope I'm posting this in the right sections of the forum.

Okay I been feeling for a long while now that I have been losing my mojo in writing.It's like I'm not satisfied with what I write when i try do my rough drafts,yes i admit I have went through a lot of paper.

Now for one I will say I do come up with some amazing ideas,I might start writing a little then end up putting it away for another day.I would take breaks from writing and come back,but writer still nothing sometimes I wanna know Lush people have any of you ever had moments when you just lost your writing mojo.

If so how did you gain it back,I mean I do have experience writing,my 1st story on Lush, I think I wrote when I was 18 or 19,I'm 23 now.Please if any of you can give me some advice,or tips on how you got your inspiration back,it will be surely appreciated.Thank you all.

when the muse is ignoring me...I write nonsensical westerns or Si-fi...before I know it the muse is biting my butt again...
Mana wahine
0 likes
A while back I lost my 'mojo' and was unsatisfied with everything I wrote. I researched the subject and gave myself the time to go over possibilities and scenarios. It felt as if nothing would work or help me to get back into the swing of things, but then I woke up one day and BAM! I felt like writing again and when I did, I was happy with my work. As a personal rule, I would never submit anything I was not proud of, and that is the main thing. Make sure you are happy with what you are producing. The readers will be happy with your writing when you are and they will pick up on this when you are unhappy with the product.

I, like Bethany, will have a few stories going at once so I can 'pick and choose' what I want to write if a story isn't working for me at that point in time.

Good luck, and don't rush the process, unless you work well under pressure.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
My best advice is to read. Take advantage of the slump and read. Reading was most likely what brought you to writing.
Step outside of yourself for a while and just let your imagination go. Read for fun, read about writing, even read bad writing. It inspires thought, sometimes raises questions and can often challenge you. It works for me.

Mwah!!
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by JuiceBar
...I'll get back on here soon with another story, but right now I just do not the time to write about a sexual experience and be in full university of Harvard humanities doctorate mode to complete it to a level that MIGHT be required on this site...

JB, you sound a little upset and I'm sorry for that. I also understand, and I bet a lot of the writers here no matter what level they are on understand too. Everyone has experienced that type of frustration--specifically after spending "5 to 7 hours crafting" and "drawing" a story only to have it sent back for corrections. Writing is sensitive stuff.

You are absolutely right though, there are some extremely fine writers here. I'm learning from them all the time. I read some of my earlier stuff and cringe from embarrassment. This is an excellent place to learn. The volunteers that verify submissions and do slight editing put a lot into learning the art of writing. Establishing consistency as far as requirements are concerned among all our writers (including the ones doing the editing) is also important to them. Keep in mind too that correcting your own errors when they have been pointed out to you is actually a quicker way to get rid of bad writing habits. We all have some bad habits when it comes to our own writing--even when we are in a "humanities doctorate mode". Believe me.

Here's the thick of it: When writer's block hits or you feel stifled, it is an excellence chance to just sit back and research some of your bad habits. Go through your edits and suggestions from the staff or friends, and make lists of your own weaknesses. (I actually wish I would pay more attention to my own before I press the publish button.) Get something like Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and read it like you would a novel. Write all in the margins and underline shit that catches your attention or you just never knew. It will make you bold.

Boldness is needed when, as you said, "we as a society reach an entirely different level of understanding when we set aside the rules of convention...particularly in the pursuit of STORY." Pursue that story but don't ignore grammar, structure or punctuation in the process, it only distracts from all the hard work you put into that unique story. That's "5-7" hours you won't get back. Phonetics is nice in theatrical manuscripts if that's what the actor needs, but the beauty of writing really establishes itself in being able to lead your readers in such a way that you don't have to resort to that, outside of dialogue, to get them to get "insight into [your] base idea."

I hope you find the time to come on back with something new.JtspjTLoWHo2M8YK

PS Is that a Bosch piece for your AV? I can't see it clearly but it looks familiar.
? A True Story ?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

Mwah!!

Girl don't throw kisses at me like that. You know I have a thing for you. ?
? A True Story ?
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
This just happened to me, and I broke out of it by writing pages and pages of dialogue. I just let the characters talk to each other. The story gradually grew out of it.

I finished the first draft this afternoon!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Upset?...nah not really. I was having a whinge, thing is, I do get that if there wern't some basic rules/guidelines on the members writing to keep it up to some sort of standard the REALLY GOOD stuff would likely get sidelined by stuff that is just overly loud and tasteless...fair enough. There are other sites seemingly dripping in erotic fiction but its all to a very poor standard....NOT on here though!.

Oh yeah it is Bosch avrgblkgrl...the garden of earthly delight...good pick up!.

You know what you've inspired me...i'll get onto something!.

xx

Quote by avrgblkgrl

JB, you sound a little upset and I'm sorry for that. I also understand, and I bet a lot of the writers here no matter what level they are on understand too. Everyone has experienced that type of frustration--specifically after spending "5 to 7 hours crafting" and "drawing" a story only to have it sent back for corrections. Writing is sensitive stuff.

You are absolutely right though, there are some extremely fine writers here. I'm learning from them all the time. I read some of my earlier stuff and cringe from embarrassment. This is an excellent place to learn. The volunteers that verify submissions and do slight editing put a lot into learning the art of writing. Establishing consistency as far as requirements are concerned among all our writers (including the ones doing the editing) is also important to them. Keep in mind too that correcting your own errors when they have been pointed out to you is actually a quicker way to get rid of bad writing habits. We all have some bad habits when it comes to our own writing--even when we are in a "humanities doctorate mode". Believe me.

Here's the thick of it: When writer's block hits or you feel stifled, it is an excellence chance to just sit back and research some of your bad habits. Go through your edits and suggestions from the staff or friends, and make lists of your own weaknesses. (I actually wish I would pay more attention to my own before I press the publish button.) Get something like Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and read it like you would a novel. Write all in the margins and underline shit that catches your attention or you just never knew. It will make you bold.

Boldness is needed when, as you said, "we as a society reach an entirely different level of understanding when we set aside the rules of convention...particularly in the pursuit of STORY." Pursue that story but don't ignore grammar, structure or punctuation in the process, it only distracts from all the hard work you put into that unique story. That's "5-7" hours you won't get back. Phonetics is nice in theatrical manuscripts if that's what the actor needs, but the beauty of writing really establishes itself in being able to lead your readers in such a way that you don't have to resort to that, outside of dialogue, to get them to get "insight into [your] base idea."

I hope you find the time to come on back with something new.w9ZGjTmKDQLtNzAf

PS Is that a Bosch piece for your AV? I can't see it clearly but it looks familiar.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by ElementalLover
Now for one I will say I do come up with some amazing ideas

Your first mistake is to think your ideas are amazing. You're the only one who thinks that. Pretend your "amazing idea" wasn't written by you and be honest with yourself.

Edit: Wow, never mind, I should have read the post date. This thread was started by a goofball over a year ago.
Lurker
0 likes
For me, its just writing, writing and writing. If I cant get into the flow of it, I usually abandon it.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
This just happened to me, and I broke out of it by writing pages and pages of dialogue. I just let the characters talk to each other. The story gradually grew out of it.

I finished the first draft this afternoon!

I do that all the time. I let my characters breathe and just do their thing. Then I go back and fill in what is necessary. The dialogue actually ends up being more natural and interesting when I do it that way. And, it gets you out of a storyline slump.
? A True Story ?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by JuiceBar
Upset?...nah not really. I was having a whinge, thing is, I do get that if there wern't some basic rules/guidelines on the members writing to keep it up to some sort of standard the REALLY GOOD stuff would likely get sidelined by stuff that is just overly loud and tasteless...fair enough. There are other sites seemingly dripping in erotic fiction but its all to a very poor standard....NOT on here though!.

Oh yeah it is Bosch avrgblkgrl...the garden of earthly delight...good pick up!.

You know what you've inspired me...i'll get onto something!.

xx

I'm glad, truly.?

I thought I recognized it. When I was in high school, I was obsessed with Hieronymus Bosch and the theory behind all the symbolism in his work--classic closet nerd.
? A True Story ?
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Take a break.

Write something.

Stop feeling the need to churn shit out just to churn it out.

Troll an online board for random writing prompts and start writing stuff you've never written before.

Sounds like you're burnt out.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't force it. I put it aside and wait until it comes to me. I know it when it feels right and the words begin to flow.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Grand Master of SF/ Fantasy Ray Bradbury said 'I write every day." That's what some writers do, but not myself. I THINK about stories every day, may not get close to a keyboard. I write when I feel like writing, and when I don't feel like it, I don't. It'd be different if that was how I earned my way, then I'd be more apt to follow the advice of Bri'r Bradbury. I think the key is to not allow yourself to put pressure on yourself. What we do, we do for the love of it, the satisfaction it gives us. Just think about the joy it gives you, spinning tales for the sheer joy of entertainment!