Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Kama Sutra: Is the 2000 year old text, still relevant today?

last reply
7 replies
1 watcher
4 likes

In a provocative conversation / click bate, saw a clip still asking does size count? My mind raced back to the Kama Sutra where this was answered 2000+ years ago. From that example, realized that there were many common questions still asked and have answers in the Kama Sutra. Thus has the text been lost to the digital age, or do you think it still has it place?

It’s like 90% relationship manual and 10% sex. Most people aren’t familiar with what’s actually in it. Hell, most printings of it focus entirely on the sex parts. Colonizers and western media have explored and profited off the text while devaluing the culture it comes from. It’s like yoga… changed drastically from its original intent and practice and done incorrectly by most white countries.

Parts are relevant, parts are misogynistic, parts are regional, parts are religious…. As a whole the book was never relevant to most people. It’s interesting but mostly for its historical value. Sadly most view it as an ancient penthouse magazine.

Quite correct it was never meant to be a dedicated sex manual. Its interesting how its been used / seen. Western friends (older) see it as a list of sex positions to pull a muscle too, the younger a link it to quickly to tartaric. From the West (Iran to India), its still "used", via word of mouth. Recall an Iman giving a (male) newly wed a few pointers. How foreplay and listening to your partner was all out from the Kama Sutra.

Of course, it is still relevant, albeit not appreciated by most. The thing about sound advice and truth is that they transcend cultures and time and are immune to the opinions of others. When communication, acceptance of somebody for who and what they are, and catering to your lover's desires are out of vogue and not longer pertinent, the world will be an abysmal place.

Am I a good witch, or a bad witch? History will decide

It was written in the about 300AD. The Indian Philosophical system talked about the 4 pillars to life. Kama was considered one such pillar. Kama can be interpreted as activities that gave one pleasure And included sex. Indian culture prior to its colonization by the Islamic invaders and British Colonists was not very moralizing. The Kamasutra came out of that period explores the many possiblities in sexuality. But, think like many ancient texts it needs updating to reflect our current sensibilities and understanding.

Many people in North America base much of their lives on a text that is similarly old and whose relevance is just as open to question (yes, I mean The Bible). I am of the opinion that any religious or philosophical text probably has some wisdom to impart if we approach with an open mind and a willingness to learn about it and its context. None of them is perfect, though, and I think we need to look at multiple sources of wisdom rather than locking ourselves rigidly into one.

A poem for your enjoyment. Little something that came to me a couple days ago

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-mistake-4

Quote by Seeker4

Many people in North America base much of their lives on a text that is similarly old and whose relevance is just as open to question (yes, I mean The Bible). I am of the opinion that any religious or philosophical text probably has some wisdom to impart if we approach with an open mind and a willingness to learn about it and its context. None of them is perfect, though, and I think we need to look at multiple sources of wisdom rather than locking ourselves rigidly into one.

Quite correct that the older text that have stood the test of time do have a solid foundation. A base that we should build on. Just surprises me that the same base questions are still asked. Glad to hear that the kama sutra is still know on this site

Never read it but I have picked up the Bible as it is a nice paper weight.

All that comes to mind is lotus flower.