Login

Just A Question

last reply
21 replies
2.4k views
2 watchers
11 likes
0 likes
So, I have a question and I already know some won't answer honestly. But recently I have been browsing a few of the other categories on lush and I have noticed something rather odd. Especially in the Cuckold category.

Why do people read certain stories/categories/subjects, when they KNOW they will not like it? Let me be a bit broader. I have noticed a lot of people give negative comments on stories that involve cuckolding/cheating and it just seems to me that the writer had put ALL the correct keywords for their story. So, why read it if you know you will not like it? It just seems pointless to me, or am I missing something? Like I said just a question.
0 likes
Whatever it is, the reason isn't your fault.
0 likes
Quote by Shadowforce1
So, I have a question and I already know some won't answer honestly. But recently I have been browsing a few of the other categories on lush and I have noticed something rather odd. Especially in the Cuckold category.

Why do people read certain stories/categories/subjects, when they KNOW they will not like it? Let me be a bit broader. I have noticed a lot of people give negative comments on stories that involve cuckolding/cheating and it just seems to me that the writer had put ALL the correct keywords for their story. So, why read it if you know you will not like it? It just seems pointless to me, or am I missing something? Like I said just a question.

This appears to be the way it is across a variety of different "erotic story" websites. Some are down right hostile. Lush Stories appear to be more tolerant. From what I can tell most of the commenters who trash these type stories are extremely conservative in their mind set.

The way I feel about it is; different strokes for different folks, if you don't like the category, don't read the story.
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
You also have the option to not have some categories shown.
Generally, if I don't like a category, I don't read it. If I don't like the story I won't leave a comment and neither a vote. If there is a particular reason, I might PM the author and explain my reasons. Otherwise I skip it. It's the polite way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU CAN'T LET ANYONE COME IN BETWEEN YOU AND THE THINGS YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT IN THIS LIFE, OR IT AIN'T WORTH LIVING.

Voyeur @ f/64
2 likes
People can be quite quirky in their judgments and motivation for them. A while ago now, I had a gentleman who read my micros and always left a very nice laudatory comment. He also only voted them a 4. His perfect right, of course, but I was curious and asked why. "You do quite well at it, my dear, but women are simply incapable of writing excellent erotica." Apparently, my asking was also some sort of proof, as he hasn't commented and voted on a story since. So now I have a nice collection of pieces with a single 4 vote and, since I never get 20 votes on anything, my average remains where it is. Because I am female.
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
We talked about this on Literotica. Nathanael West called it "excited disgust." People are fascinated with certain things, including aspects of sexuality, but then the guilt comes in and they can't admit it even to themselves. Thus they feel compelled to read about it a lot and then proclaim their disapproval.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by WiseGinger
Generally, if I don't like a category, I don't read it. If I don't like the story I won't leave a comment and neither a vote. If there is a particular reason, I might PM the author and explain my reasons. Otherwise I skip it. It's the polite way.

WiseGinger couldn't have expressed my response any better. If you don't like a category (and there are a few I don't care for) don't read those. And if you decide to read them then don't rate the story on the subject matter but on how it's written.
0 likes
Quote by LakeShoreLimited
We talked about this on Literotica. Nathanael West called it "excited disgust." People are fascinated with certain things, including aspects of sexuality, but then the guilt comes in and they can't admit it even to themselves. Thus they feel compelled to read about it a lot and then proclaim their disapproval.

This one kind of makes sense to me. Telling people to hide the category or don't read those stories if you don't like them does not answer the question of why people do it, esp. why they do it repeatedly. This seems to get closer to that answer. That said, I haven't written a lot of cheating or cuckolding stories nor do I read a lot of them so I have not experienced the phenomenon for myself.

Quote by kistinspencil
People can be quite quirky in their judgments and motivation for them. A while ago now, I had a gentleman who read my micros and always left a very nice laudatory comment. He also only voted them a 4. His perfect right, of course, but I was curious and asked why. "You do quite well at it, my dear, but women are simply incapable of writing excellent erotica." Apparently, my asking was also some sort of proof, as he hasn't commented and voted on a story since. So now I have a nice collection of pieces with a single 4 vote and, since I never get 20 votes on anything, my average remains where it is. Because I am female.

In my experience, women are better at it than most men but maybe I am a bit of an oddball for thinking that way. And did he really say "my dear"? I mean, that's the badge of an older guy with older attitudes right there. Note that I don't say it, so when I say "older" I mean "older than me".
0 likes
Quote by WiseGinger

I couldn't agree more. There are some categories that I personally dislike, so in turn, I stay out of them. I would NEVER go into that category and then downvote or make a negative comment, just to show my distaste for the category or the writers that call that category home.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
very disappointed how this "better" format is now. things used to be so easy to navigate thru but now...UGH!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

That also applies to watching TV programmes, in the UK at least. People (apparently) watch the whole thing and then complain about the nudity or swearing or something. Programmes are preceded by warnings of what is contained so the assumption has to be that they watch it knowing/hoping that they will be 'disgusted'.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shadowforce1
Why do people read certain stories/categories/subjects, when they KNOW they will not like it?

Someone pointed out (rightly so) that the "Question" on this forum was not answered, so here's my direct response to the OP: They probably do it to be mean and judgemental - unfortunately, there are many of such trolls on lush (and other sites too, of course). 

Quote by WiseGinger

My first "Liked" comment. Totally agree with WiseGinger.

Quote by kistinspencil  (extracted)
People can be quite quirky in their judgments and motivation for them. ..... and, since I never get 20 votes on anything, my average remains where it is. Because I am female.

Perhaps you could try publishing as a male author and see if that makes a difference? 

Mary Poppins
1 like
Quote by Shadowforce1

Unfortunately some people are just like that. I have a few people who follow me around and down score my stories. They never leave a comment or give advice as to how I could improve my story to their liking. It would be even better if they showed me how good their stories are.

I’m guessing that they have never written one and are incapable of doing so. It used to bother me but it doesn’t anymore. Lush isn’t bothered by what scores people get, and neither am I. I just like reading the comments I get. I’ve only ever had one negative comment, and that was from a mod. At least I was told where I went wrong and how to improve in the future. So basically, don’t worry about scores, nobody else does. Just enjoy the nice comments from the good people who leave them.

Regards, Verity

Be nice to each other

1 like

Did Mr West express his opinion through a medium?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CallmeJayne

Did Mr West express his opinion through a medium?

Yes, he did - it's in his 1939 novel The Day of the Locust. It refers to a character called, believe it or not, Homer Simpson! Supposedly the Homer Simpson we know and love did not get his name from the book. I'm not sure - the co-incidence is just too unlikely. But that's what Matt Groening claimed anyway.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

A certain subject may not have the appeal personally that others do but often I finish a story because I find the authors writing skill to be at a level that it is a pleasure simply to read. I don’t care for micro-fiction, in most cases, consider it to be exceptionally well written thus a rating oh 3 I feel is adequate. I can only think of just a few times that I have given a story a 5. I think a 4 is an excellent rating, leaving room for most authors to improve. I always explain what I have seen in terms of the construction the story.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by kistinspencil
Ugh. Smh. I don't even have the words to describe how outraged and pissed off I would have felt if a guy had given me that answer. That is some truly disgusting shit. 
Active Ink Slinger
1 like
Quote by LadyAnne
Quote by kistinspencil
Ugh. Smh. I don't even have the words to describe how outraged and pissed off I would have felt if a guy had given me that answer. That is some truly disgusting shit. 
First of all, there is something off about leaving a vote and then explaining why one did it. It's the kind of thing you often see on Literotica where "one-bombers" feel the need to confess (usually anonymously) their opinions. Just leave the vote and go away.

Secondly, his condescension ("my dear"?) - or just plain snottiness - needs no further comment. By the way, did you look? What has he written that is so excellent?

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes
Quote by LadyAnne
Quote by kistinspencil
First of all, there is something off about leaving a vote and then explaining why one did it. It's the kind of thing you often see on Literotica where "one-bombers" feel the need to confess (usually anonymously) their opinions. Just leave the vote and go away.

Secondly, his condescension ("my dear"?) - or just plain snottiness - needs no further comment. By the way, did you look? What has he written that is so excellent?

Not a thing, quite like the gentleman who commented above. At least he has been active for a number of years, rather than a few months. 
Voyeur @ f/64
3 likes
Quote by Icarus4

A certain subject may not have the appeal personally that others do but often I finish a story because I find the authors writing skill to be at a level that it is a pleasure simply to read. I don’t care for micro-fiction, in most cases, consider it to be exceptionally well written thus a rating oh 3 I feel is adequate. I can only think of just a few times that I have given a story a 5. I think a 4 is an excellent rating, leaving room for most authors to improve. I always explain what I have seen in terms of the construction the story.

Thank you for making my point once again. I'm sure you will make many friends among the writers here.
1 like
Quote by Icarus4

I don’t care for micro-fiction, in most cases, consider it to be exceptionally well written thus a rating oh 3 I feel is adequate.

This sentence alone should be enough to convince everyone to flush any of your 'judgments' down the toilet like so much common shit.