Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How serious do you take your story. Or if you're a reader how serious do you want the story to be?

last reply
39 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck
Finding the balance between plot and sex is very hard*. For me as a reader it boils down to wanting to believe the story. It can have loads of amazing sex in it, but if I don't think it happened I can't get as involved as I want to be. That doesn't mean stories can't be strange or fantastic or have lots of men with pendulous penises in them. It just means the author has to work harder to convince me. It's a good thing I'm suggestible I suppose.

* That's what she said.

Pendulous penis? I'm stealing that. Rolls off the tongue. Aso what she said.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I always give it my best, sweat over it, but still have great fun doing it. Yep, much like having sex.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I look for ways to make my characters more real - a pot belly here, a scar there, hang ups and neuroses lurking all over the place; I don't always dwell on them (my stories are short by Lush standards), and my writing more often focuses on the attractive parts of my characters and the pleasurable aspects of their sex, but the cracks are there. Without them, I'm just making cartoons.

Speaking more broadly about the question, I spend far too long, sometimes months, crafting a 2500 word story. I have no delusions of making great art, but I do take it seriously and I won't submit something I am not happy with. I have submitted six stories on this site and, although I have my own preferences, in different ways I'll stand by each of them, imperfections and all. I'd hate to put out something that I later found embarrassing (not disliked, that's slightly different), so I kind of have to take it seriously.
My body begged for release and for more; for a perfect moment, a sublime stalemate held

Tori and Mr Renshaw (Part 1)

December 2017
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
Anyone can write the sex we have during the week, but honestly, if you are creating a fantasy, don't you feel it should be worth fantasizing about?

Others have rightly picked up on this thoughtful idea, but I'd flip it around. Anyone can make fucking an 18 year old on a trapeze (I'm being glib) interesting and exotic, but the banal beauty of the everyday is a kind of holy grail of any kind of art. For me anyway.

This isn't an attempt to stir up conflict, and I'm not for one minute suggesting you'll find it in anything I write, I'm just offering an alternative perspective. I think Hopper once said that he hated painting flowers as their beauty was 'self-sufficient'; the challenge is finding beauty and excitement beyond the obvious.

My body begged for release and for more; for a perfect moment, a sublime stalemate held

Tori and Mr Renshaw (Part 1)

December 2017
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by NomDePlume

Others have rightly picked up on this thoughtful idea, but I'd flip it around. Anyone can make fucking an 18 year old on a trapeze (I'm being glib) interesting and exotic, but the banal beauty of the everyday, the kind of pathos of Brief Encounter or an Edward Hopper painting, is a kind of holy grail of any kind of art. For me anyway.

This isn't an attempt to stir up conflict, and I'm not for one minute suggesting you'll find it in anything I write, I'm just offering an alternative perspective. I think Hopper once said that he hated painting flowers as their beauty was 'self-sufficient'; the challenge is finding beauty and excitement beyond the obvious.

I'll agree even the most mundane scene can be beautiful/erotic/interesting if the writer can capture the moment. I've seen Verbal do this on several occasions. The problem is, if a writer is not up the the task, his less than enthralling writing will only suffer from a banal plot line.

This reminds me of Top Gun. The way Maveraick flew was highly dangerous and the instructors hated him doing it in training because the vast majority of other pilots would just get themselves shot down if they tried flying like that. In the same token, I'm sure the top writes here can make almost any story interesting, but as I'm advising we who are not them, I think it better to start with a truly engaging plot, rather than something less than that.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
nothing i do in life is all that serious. except my drinking. my drinking is totally serious.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Like many things in life, I really just half ass it all and get lucky.

Should probably work on that.
0 likes
Quote by sprite
nothing i do in life is all that serious. except my drinking. my drinking is totally serious.

I don't think I can say this enough. I love your comments they make me smile. Thank you!!!!
0 likes
Thank you for all the great comments that everyone has written. I like writing seriously sometimes. But for the most part there is an idea in my head and I like to get it out. As some of you have said there are times when you write that you want it more than just wham bam thank you ma'am/sir sex. That lasts for the whole night. Which we all know is quite impossible unless there is some serious drugs involved.

As someone posted (forgot who) the description (e.g bra size, penis length) turns you off. Or that two people just met three minutes ago now they are fucking like crazy people. Is also a turn off for some. I am sure there are some that would say the lead up that takes 2,000 words to get to them lying down for 400 words of sex is boring?

Would anyone say that an author that does one and not the other is bad/terrible or good/awesome? And why?
Lurker
0 likes
I take my life's story seriously, but laugh a gentle sigh, when it comes to my writing. I write to scratch the itch between words I compose and often become arcane when I scribe black. I write entirely for the moment, and the joy it brings, and if 'one' person finds it to their liking, then I am jubilated.