Happy Bloomsday, James Joyce fans

last reply
13 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
How many here have read Joyce's Ulysses, and what did you think? I haven't read it yet, but it is a task I have set for myself for this Summer.
Lurker
0 likes
I've read Finnegan's Wake, half of Uylsses, and The Dubliners.

Too long ago to tell you what I thought of them...

I have, however, read Homer's The Odyssey at least a half dozen times, (the Richmond Latimore translation), and Kazantakis's The Odyssey: a Modern Sequel.

Joyce just couldn't grab me like those Greeks did.

There are, however, some Bloomsday celebrations planned in the city I live in, which I might investigate.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which I enjoyed. I want to read Ulysses because it is such a frequently cited influential work and I want to see what the fuss is about. I did the same with Moby Dick - - if it is "the great American novel," then dammit I should read it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Melville's writing, and that there was much humor in it, dry as it was.

I have read The Odyssey and The Iliad a few times as well (I believe the translator was Robert Fitzgerald). Loved it. I listened to an audio version of The Iliad as well. It was interesting to hear the epic poem read aloud.
Lurker
0 likes
I read a A4 page that was copied by a student teacher on a part-time Open University course, But if you like let me know when you read it and I will try at the same time. I think it's good to know of someone that is reading at the same time.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
I read a A4 page that was copied by a student teacher on a part-time Open University course, But if you like let me know when you read it and I will try at the same time. I think it's good to know of someone that is reading at the same time.

I absolutely will.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MahlerSymphony
Quote by HoneyBee000

I absolutely will.

Right then, I shall get a copy from the library
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
Quote by MahlerSymphony
Quote by HoneyBee000

I absolutely will.

Right then, I shall get a copy from the library

Good luck to both of you! That sounds like a great idea, to co-read something like this.
Lurker
0 likes
Got the book from Library today, so ready set go and get reading James Joyce Ulysees.vk1PvvV4SCFdzwfg
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
Got the book from Library today, so ready set go and get reading James Joyce Ulysees.wRydioeL4wNkRhST

Great. I will pick up a copy from the bookstore on Saturday.
Lurker
0 likes
Started on chapter II last evening haha ewwwwww the first paragraph when he ate the kidney's and they hade a faint taste of urine yuk lol
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HoneyBee000
Started on chapter II last evening haha ewwwwww the first paragraph when he ate the kidney's and they hade a faint taste of urine yuk lol

I was wondering how this project was coming along, and yes, the kidney tasting description is famous.

I've never fancied kidneys myself, the taste really is rather harsh.
Lurker
0 likes
Chapter I was a bit tricky, but I'm getting used to 'the method in his madness' I understand the one word phrases, before he starts a next one. I pressume if I get this right is that and I will get to the point in a minute. The one word phrases are his inner thoughts before there is more prose.
I'm hoping that Chapter II will be more enjoyable.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
Quote by HoneyBee000

I was wondering how this project was coming along, and yes, the kidney tasting description is famous.

I've never fancied kidneys myself, the taste really is rather harsh.

I like steak and kidneys, pie or a stew but after that phrase hmmmm. Bitter. taste in my mouth.
Lurker
0 likes
i used to be a joyce freak; i studied and wrote criticism; now, i cant stand _ulysses_ but i love _finnegans wake_ and _dubliners_

_fw is great because he creates over 50,000 new words; and it doesnt make sense until you record yourself on your computer reading
20 minutes a day: then, when you hear yourself reading it: it's hilarious! stumbling and all

i like _dubliners_ because it teaches writers how to create characters with glaring flaws -- quickly in a few pages; and because it's so scathing
and not romanticized

i used to like _portrait -- but now it kinda bores me; _dubliners and _fw are much better to help improve your own writing skills

i read all the stories of _dubliners into .mp3 files and play them back; it makes you a better writer; same with _fw

_ulysses seems like too many irish jokes, whereas _fw is completely original, so the reader doesnt need to *know* anything about
ireland (but can learn)

the psychologist carl jung told joyce that _ulysses completely bored him; joyce said jung probably didnt even realize it was a comedy

anyway, _finnegans wake_ is much funnier; and _dubiners_ much more instructive to the writer